Health & Wellness

Where to get testosterone prescription?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2023 3:00 am
Mar 14, 2018
190 posts
230 upvotes

Where to get testosterone prescription?

It's almost impossible to get a prescription for test by visiting regular doctors. As long as your numbers show "normal" they won't even allow trying it. I feel all the symptoms of low test and would like to give it a chance.
39 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2914 posts
4462 upvotes
West
I'm confused - do you want a testosterone test, or do you want to be prescribed testosterone?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32083 posts
15376 upvotes
Socially Distanced
The problem is your symptoms could be caused by many things that are coincidentally also low testosterone symptoms.
That said an endocrinologist can prescribe it, and there are some clinics that specialize in male hormones.
But bear in mind that it shuts down your own body's production of testosterone, you can end up on it for life if you cause permanent reduction in your own production of it.

I would suggest getting a second opinion but also looking into other possible causes of your symptoms. If you chase this but its wrong then your just going to cause more problems than you are solving.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1569 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
Eat your soy boy.

Kidding.

I think you have to shop around family doctors till you find a receptive one.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2546 posts
1902 upvotes
GTA
I read or heard somewhere the taking testosterone also increases the risk of prostrate cancer. I came across this several years ago, so not sure if there's some newer testosterone replacement drug that reduces or eliminates this risk.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1724 posts
1545 upvotes
lpin14 wrote: I read or heard somewhere the taking testosterone also increases the risk of prostrate cancer. I came across this several years ago, so not sure if there's some newer testosterone replacement drug that reduces or eliminates this risk.

For men who already have prostate cancer, hormone treatmen to LOWER testosterone is known to slow/suppress the cancer. Therefore, for a long time, there was a belief that increasing testorone could increase risk of cancer. But studies have not shown a link. So the current thnking is don't presribe testorone to men who already have prostate cancer, or who have not been diagnosed with prostate cancer but have some warning signs (such as elevated PSA). But if there are no signs of prostate cancer, the latest thinking is that testorone therapy (to bring testorone levels up to normal levels) does not increase the risk of prostate cancer.

Here are a couple of good articles on the topic:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/a-h ... 2009031141
https://www.healthline.com/health/prost ... r#research
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19626 posts
28398 upvotes
Vancouver
abybiggs wrote: It's almost impossible to get a prescription for test by visiting regular doctors. As long as your numbers show "normal" they won't even allow trying it. I feel all the symptoms of low test and would like to give it a chance.
If your numbers are normal then why do you think you need it?
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
2150 posts
3518 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: If your numbers are normal then why do you think you need it?
"I feel all the symptoms of low test and would like to give it a chance."

The answer's right there in the post your quoted.
Feb 27, 2007
666 posts
552 upvotes
SonyCanWoes wrote: "I feel all the symptoms of low test and would like to give it a chance."

It is, but that's why it's a prescription drug as you're not qualified to decide if you need it or not. You don't get to 'decide' what controlled substances your offered, only what you take.

It's like deciding you 'feel' like you have high blood pressure and self prescribing meds.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10192 posts
5514 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
abybiggs wrote: It's almost impossible to get a prescription for test by visiting regular doctors. As long as your numbers show "normal" they won't even allow trying it. I feel all the symptoms of low test and would like to give it a chance.
I'd examine your lifestyle first.
lpin14 wrote: I read or heard somewhere the taking testosterone also increases the risk of prostrate cancer. I
One of the forms of prostrate cancer may be viral. It used to be thought that male were the unharmed reservoir of HPV who transmitted it to women sexually and women with HPV have a higher chance of developing cervical cancer. Some research seems to indicate a form of prostrate cancer develops as a result of HPV, which is why the vaccine is being administered to boys too.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
2150 posts
3518 upvotes
von Monster wrote: It is, but that's why it's a prescription drug as you're not qualified to decide if you need it or not. You don't get to 'decide' what controlled substances your offered, only what you take.

It's like deciding you 'feel' like you have high blood pressure and self prescribing meds.
There's a lot of this going on these days in the age of the internet, RFD being no different. People read a few chain emails, FB posts, Twitter claims, YouTube videos by quacks/chiropractors/etc, and suddenly they're all medical experts self diagnosing and self prescribing.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19626 posts
28398 upvotes
Vancouver
SonyCanWoes wrote: "I feel all the symptoms of low test and would like to give it a chance."

But he’s been tested and his numbers show his testosterone is at normal levels. Until he gets a test result that shows otherwise, he’s not likely to encounter a doctor who will prescribe him in spite of that. His symptoms are most likely the result of something else.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32083 posts
15376 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Kiraly wrote: But he’s been tested and his numbers show his testosterone is at normal levels. Until he gets a test result that shows otherwise, he’s not likely to encounter a doctor who will prescribe him in spite of that. His symptoms are most likely the result of something else.
Agreed.
And unlike vitamins testosterone is a schedule 4 controlled drug becasue of its abuse potential.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
2150 posts
3518 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: But he’s been tested and his numbers show his testosterone is at normal levels. Until he gets a test result that shows otherwise, he’s not likely to encounter a doctor who will prescribe him in spite of that. His symptoms are most likely the result of something else.
While his reason is humourous, because he just "feels" like he's low, having a "normal" test result doesn't mean he might not have a testosterone issue either. Testosterone testing isn't so black and white. It depends on what test he received, where it was tested, who's doing the interpreting, which guidelines are being used to determine "normal" range/results, etc.

From what I gather, there's always a urologist or endocrinologist who too easily dismisses people as being normal, and there's always one who too eagerly wants to treat those who aren't likely low as needing treatment. OP is just "unlucky" he didn't see one of the latter.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32083 posts
15376 upvotes
Socially Distanced
SonyCanWoes wrote: While his reason is humourous, because he just "feels" like he's low, having a "normal" test result doesn't mean he might not have a testosterone issue either. Testosterone testing isn't so black and white. It depends on what test he received, where it was tested, who's doing the interpreting, which guidelines are being used to determine "normal" range/results, etc.

From what I gather, there's always a urologist or endocrinologist who too easily dismisses people as being normal, and there's always one who too eagerly wants to treat those who aren't likely low as needing treatment. OP is just "unlucky" he didn't see one of the latter.
If he is borderline normal an experienced endocrinologist may say its worth a trial. But that is up to a certified MD because its a controlled substance. And i would argue it should also be an expert in this specific area (say a clinic that specializes in male hormones) becasue the stakes are very high here.
And if his own production gets shut down and he experiences testicular atrophy even if any improvement was a placebo effect then he is stuck with taking it for life if in fact he didn't need it at all.

This is very serious business and a gut feeling and Dr Google is no replacement for proper diagnosis and treatment.
It is far more likely he has something with similar symptoms of which there are many conditions that can cause fatigue and loss of libido. I won't speculate here what those might be becasue the OP needs proper medical care and not more armchair medicine.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10192 posts
5514 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
If it's "impotence" you're suffering from, everybody knows it's due to fluoridation....

I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
3151 posts
3640 upvotes
Toronto
I am a diabetic and years ago was diagnosed with low testosterone, main thing i was worried about was energy levels. After a while decided to stop putting the gel on, so have an extra four boxes of the stuff sitting in my closet. I put some on the other day as i started to want to get back in shape, used the testosterone gel for a couple days but noticed that i did get a bit cranky haha. Did give me energy, but i sort of like mellowing out in my old age don't want to be slightly edgy as my wife is going through menopause at the moment and no need for us both to be cranky haha. Stopped putting it on and back on the shelf, no need for it.

The one thing doc told me with testosterone is once you start taking supplemental does your body will reduce production of it's own, so once you stop taking your body might take a long while before it starts producing it's own again. I assume he is right, my levels did double when i applied the gel, however i stopped putting on in the end.

Testosterone is also quite difficult to get into your system as i believe the digestive track hugely reduces the testosterone passing through your system, that is why the original pills had little to zero effect on my blood levels and i had to go gel application on the skin instead. The next level i could have received was injections as 100% goes directly into the system, i wasn't up on that offer myself. The Gel packages are super easy, break the package, rub on chest, let evaporite within a minute, done.
“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age.....and dreams are forever.”
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7568 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
I am copy-pasting a bunch of links from a reddit post I saw today. Bodybuilding and steroid forums tend to have links to doctors to do that as well. If anyone has questions about trt feel free to ask.

www.waterlooantiaging.com - Waterloo Anti Aging clinic. heard some good things about these guys. I am not exactly sure what they charge. I believe it's around $200-300.

https://integrativemedicineinc.com/ - Dr. Esther Konigsberg I believe it's $850 for the 1st appointment and then for 2nd appointment where they go over your results and provide the treatment with other appointments around $200 or so.

vitalitymd.com - Vitalitymd. $500 for 1st appointment. I think it's half that for 2nd,3rd,etc. They aren't a TRT clinic, but offer it as part of their services. Heard good things about them and their trt doctor.

www.drkomer.com - heard some nice things about these guys, but don't know prices. Someone not long ago mentioned long wait to get an appointment.

Onmen.ca - don't recommend onmen. They advertise heavily these days. Charge $150 per 5-min appointment. You buy through them, they mark it up... Know someone who was badly treated there. You can search here. Read it here twice and on other forums.

http://www.drcaraflamer.com/ - I believe she only works with men over 50, but mostly with women.

deerfields.ca - Deerfields. This is the one you mentioned where it's a program. You pay $1800/year monthly or a la carte 1st appointment is I think $700, which includes 3 months of treatment. I believe you buy it through them.

urosurg.ca - don't recommend them. Even their website is garbage.

www.mytorontonaturopath.com - I believe they are a naturopathic clinic, but they can prescribe TRT. Initial consults will probably will be in the area of $700 before you get anything.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7568 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
The problem in Canada, normal = hypogonadal. If you are 18 and you are at 900, you are normal. If you are 18 and you are 200 and you are still normal. My father had levels of 490 at 66. Massive difference. 200 may be ok for a 70 years old male but not not a 20 years old male. Doctors use the same chart no matter what age you are and generally do not care about your symptoms. It's not not the levels that matter but the symptoms. You can have all the smptoms of low testosterone at 350 and if raise it to 700 you would feel a lot different. No doctor would give you a prescription at 350 in Canada. I can also guarantee if you are 200 and if you get your levels to even 500-600, you will feel a lot different. Yes, of course your low testosterone can be from thyroid or being severely overweight, but if everything else is in check, then anyone should be able to choose what they want to do.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Jul 7, 2020
376 posts
205 upvotes
There is a new website called Onmen.ca that provides this virtually. I went through the process a few months ago, but I wasn't a good candidate in the end. I paid $120 to have a blood test and consultation with a doctor. There are also some other private clinics offering this virtually if you search around.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)