Computers & Electronics

Where to get windows 10 and what version?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2021 3:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17684 posts
733 upvotes

Where to get windows 10 and what version?

I am building a new PC for the first time in about 10 years and my first one without a disc drive. What is the best place to buy a key and what version to a need for a home build?

I need a key that will work with my custom build of a 3700x, a gigabyte MOBO, and a 5700xt so I assume that means no oem key or am I wrong?

Also, are there any issues with using usb to install to an m2?
22 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2028 posts
1075 upvotes
GTA
Super strokey wrote: I am building a new PC for the first time in about 10 years and my first one without a disc drive. What is the best place to buy a key and what version to a need for a home build?

I need a key that will work with my custom build of a 3700x, a gigabyte MOBO, and a 5700xt so I assume that means no oem key or am I wrong?

Also, are there any issues with using usb to install to an m2?
Don't get W10 HOME, get W10 PRO. Don't have a guilty conscience and buy a $5 key from Ebay. Windows 10 PRO Key.

Follow the link that @Dhanushan posted and use a 8GB or greater USB and make a bootable drive via Media creation tool. Once its done, just reset and boot into USB and install. Use ebay key and call it a day.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13201 posts
2433 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Do you just want a working key or do you want a legal licence?
Jun 10, 2006
436 posts
101 upvotes
Windows 10 can be downloaded directly from Microsoft at no cost. Purchasing a license is a separate choice, if you desire.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17684 posts
733 upvotes
rabbit wrote: Do you just want a working key or do you want a legal licence?
I'd like it to be legal for sure. Are the eBay ones not legal?
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3888 posts
4097 upvotes
GTA
Windows 7 -> Windows 10 free upgrade still works, I did it a few weeks back. Something to think about if you can find an even cheaper Win7 key.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1069 posts
694 upvotes
Canada
Super strokey wrote: I'd like it to be legal for sure. Are the eBay ones not legal?
Obviously, no.

You should get the pro version or if you want less feature updates, get LTSC.
Last edited by elgros4 on Jun 2nd, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5850 posts
2390 upvotes
Debtario
Install windows 7, use windows loader, then upgrade to win 10 via the upgrade page (media creation tool).

I tried upgrading from a windows 10 ISO and the activation didn't carry over, you need to use the media creation tool. It will download 4GB of temporary files (basically the iso) that you can copy to a folder and use to upgrade other machines if they are offline.

Worth mentioning that some prebuilt machines come with a windows 8 or 10 license in the BIOS, windows 10 can pick this up and use it in most cases.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Mar 7, 2006
204 posts
65 upvotes
If you absolutely have to run Windows 10 then run Windows 10 LTSC. No garbage-ware, and update are less horrible.
Do yourself a fovour, try Linux.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13201 posts
2433 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Super strokey wrote: I'd like it to be legal for sure. Are the eBay ones not legal?
You can have a key to a car or a house. The key works fine, but that doesn't mean it's your car/house.

The important word here is "licence". A working key is not the same as a legal licence. While a key may be legitimite, the licence associated with the key is not for a licence that applies to you. For example, having a personal licence for software doesn't mean it can be legally used for business purposes.

At the end of the day, nobody's going to come to your house when you're sleeping and bag you, but better that you know what's what :) .
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2028 posts
1075 upvotes
GTA
It's an OEM key that's tied to your motherboard, don't overthink about everyone posting legal this legal that. Seriously. For a personal/home system ... don't lose sleep over it.

Don't have a guilty conscience and buy a $5 key from Ebay, and just leave it at that. It will activate successfully, and stay activated until the motherboard dies or you throw it out. Probably will be able to activate Windows 11 (or whatever next version comes out) with this $5 activation as well.

Don't know why everyone is spinning "legalities" over something really so insignificant. If you're a business owner or etc, OK fine ... but for personal usage, only a fool would waste $200 on Windows 10 Pro, js.

I mean if you're really cheap and don't even want to spend the $5 there are methods to activate W10 Pro for free like posted earlier in here. So many workarounds.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8524 posts
5403 upvotes
Toronto
M1K3Z0R wrote: Install windows 7, use windows loader, then upgrade to win 10 via the upgrade page (media creation tool).
wow reading that brought back memories and that's amazing if that tool still works in 2021 but I haven't seen or used Windows 7 in nearly a decade now
bluesun wrote:If you absolutely have to run Windows 10 then run Windows 10 LTSC. No garbage-ware, and update are less horrible.
Assuming the 5700xt in this build is going to be used for gaming, this is awful advice
bluesun wrote: Do yourself a fovour, try Linux.
Face With Tears Of Joy :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6779 posts
3076 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Can just install W10 pro from MSFT website and leave as is.

Full functionality except for personalization and nagging watermark to activate.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17684 posts
733 upvotes
I qualify for a free "Education" version fromy old university. Is that version ok?
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2467 posts
1423 upvotes
SW ON
Super strokey wrote: I qualify for a free "Education" version fromy old university. Is that version ok?
It is essentially equivalent to Enterprise. It's better than other versions.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3888 posts
4097 upvotes
GTA
alpovs wrote: It is essentially equivalent to Enterprise. It's better than other versions.
Plus free and legal, can't do better than that kind of free.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12371 posts
3526 upvotes
man, just grab a pro key from ebay for 4 bucks and be done with it
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27541 posts
13169 upvotes
heyyahblah wrote:
Don't get W10 HOME, get W10 PRO.
Don't get W10 PRO, get W10 LTSC

Pro sucks. Sucks less than Home (which ultra sucks) but it still has SO much garbage in it.
Enterprise isn't even any better. LTSC is the way to go.
Not a chance. Basically if it's under $100 you're paying for someone to pirate it for you.
If you're not a business or using it for business purposes, they don't seem to care as much otherwise they would have plugged a bunch of holes. But if you are using it for business purposes, you should 100% get a legitimate license.
M1K3Z0R wrote: Install windows 7, use windows loader, then upgrade to win 10 via the upgrade page (media creation tool).
While this works, there's easier ways of doing it nowadays that don't involve Windows 7.
georvu wrote: Can just install W10 pro from MSFT website and leave as is.

Full functionality except for personalization and nagging watermark to activate.
I do this for a lot of machines.
Super strokey wrote: I qualify for a free "Education" version fromy old university. Is that version ok?
The price is right anyways.