• May 14th, 2019 3:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3502 posts
1764 upvotes
Waterloo

Where to get wiper blade inserts?

So I want to replace my wiper blade inserts, but not the actual blades. My local dealership doesn't sell them. Is it now rare to be able to buy just the inserts? For those of you who buy inserts instead of replacing the entire blade, where do you buy yours?

I drive a Hyundai Elantra.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5658 posts
3247 upvotes
Toronto
Before the dealership I used to go to switched to selling cheap Anco as OEM replacements (for the same price as OEM), the OEM inserts cost the same as a full OEM replacement.

Most cars have now moved to a one piece beam type so I guess stealerships stopped stocking refills and just do full replacements.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2786 posts
2056 upvotes
Toronto
I get mine from Amazon. Or try a Honda or Acura dealership.
Sep 25, 2018
659 posts
1204 upvotes
Try ebay or aliexpress, a dollar or two for a pair of 26'' insert (you can then cut to fit). The only downside is the long shipping, usually takes about 1-2 months to arrive.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1113 posts
1083 upvotes
Calgary
Honda parts desk is where I've always gotten mine. Cut to length.

Never actually owned a Honda..
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1196 posts
840 upvotes
Belleville
Honda or buy the Michelin ones from Costco. I use only the insert from the Costco ones.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16035 posts
4868 upvotes
London
Careful, inserts are not universal between car makers.
Feb 7, 2017
413 posts
189 upvotes
Do you own a hybrid wiper blade or 3-stage wiper frame? If so, there are hybrid wiper inserts that do not require cutting on aliexpress for about $2-3usd each with free shipping. I once bought the Kawoo brand wiper inserts on Aliexpress and they fit my Toyota OEM hybrid wipers perfectly. The wiper inserts do squeak a little at first, but they worked fine after a month or so.

The downside is the really long shipping as it comes from China. It usually takes 1-3 months to ship. If you are skeptical, order one insert and see if it fits first. You would at most risk losing a few dollars.

I wouldn't recommend buying the inserts that require cutting.
Jan 13, 2007
491 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I noticed a lot of dealerships stopped carrying wiper blade rubber inserts too. I just buy them on Amazon now. For the metal frame type inserts, they cost between $5-$10 for a pair.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3502 posts
1764 upvotes
Waterloo
WMPCOT wrote: I get mine from Amazon. Or try a Honda or Acura dealership.
AlicW93740 wrote: Try ebay or aliexpress, a dollar or two for a pair of 26'' insert (you can then cut to fit). The only downside is the long shipping, usually takes about 1-2 months to arrive.
When you guys did this, the insert was able to fit into your existing blades comfortably? I figured the grooves that you insert them through aren't the same for car maker so if I get some generic insert from Amazon or Ebay, I'm just wondering if it'd even fit.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12150 posts
6700 upvotes
Brampton
I used to get mine at Honda/Toyota at their counters they were charging $5-10 a pair.

Now I just get them from AliExpress. I can do all the wipers on Both cars for $10. Each car actually gets two sets. I just started doing this and thought even if I get 3 months out of each I'd still be a head but so far my refills have been going strong after 6 months.

I swapped all my cars to Denso Hybrid wipers first as it's easy and cheap to get refills first.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12150 posts
6700 upvotes
Brampton
crystallight wrote: When you guys did this, the insert was able to fit into your existing blades comfortably? I figured the grooves that you insert them through aren't the same for car maker so if I get some generic insert from Amazon or Ebay, I'm just wondering if it'd even fit.
They don't fit by car persay. They fit the type of blade.

I switched to Denso Hybrid blade first and then search for refills for "hybrid blades"
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16035 posts
4868 upvotes
London
crystallight wrote: When you guys did this, the insert was able to fit into your existing blades comfortably? I figured the grooves that you insert them through aren't the same for car maker so if I get some generic insert from Amazon or Ebay, I'm just wondering if it'd even fit.
There are a least 6 different possible rubber refills
http://www.tricoproducts.com/Drivers/Wi ... perRefills

According to Napa, 2016 Hyundai Elantra oem wiper should be 6mm square claw