Tags:
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4399 posts
1691 upvotes
Edmonton

Where to go 4-5 months in winter

Update: just doing south east Asia for the time. Now I need to narrow down on what's the plan

So my job is giving me a 4-5 month vacation. Beginning of November to sometime in March.

Going with the wifey, usually spend 3 weeks to a month in a country to experience the culture and see it all. Pretty much always buy an open ended ticket and see how it goes.

So far the thought process:

Fly in to Singapore, do Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Taiwan (have half of Taiwan still to check out) then from there fly to Chile, Peru (Machu Picchu in March?) Then back home.

I would like to do South Korea, china, japan but I am guessing winter time is not the best time to do them with all the hikes and all, we just plan on having small backpacks. Europe might work too if we do southern Europe but wifey doesnt want to be cold. Think we doing Europe next year. Haven't thought about Africa, any good plans for there? South America for whole 4-5 months might work too

Opinions? Better places to visit for the time off?
Last edited by tmkf_patryk on Jul 11th, 2018 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
13 replies
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4399 posts
1691 upvotes
Edmonton
Well. Looks like I haven't gotten much replies. So we been doing some work and it's down to southeast Asia.

Planning to do Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan.

Flights to the Philippines, either land in Manila or Cebu. Which one do you guys suggest?

We saw some flights lay-over in Taipei. Might do a one way Taipei/Taiwan or catch it on the way back, had only 10 days there last time and need another 10 or so to see majority of it all.

So far plan in Philippines is coron to do diving and snorkelling, siargao for surfing. Canlaon volcano for hike and Luzon for the rainforest.

We have up to 30 days for Philippines so trying to see a descent chunk. I think plan would be Cebu, siargao, canlaon, Luzon, and end in Coron.

Then from there to Indonesia. Hopefully can get by ferry will need to get more info into this.

So far noted down for Indonesia :
Bali (sea turtles and all)
Komodo dragon national park
Mount bromo
Dieng plateau

So anyone been and can give some insight? Planning to fly out middle of November
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
1301 posts
646 upvotes
Haven't been to those places in the winter, but you should skip Machu Picchu in March. It's rainy season and it's dangerous. They've closed it off around that time in previous years due to mudslide and people have died. If you want to go there, go at the beginning of your trip. I was there in November and weather was great
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes
You won't see sea turtles in Bali...
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6704 posts
1442 upvotes
If you're going to go to Komodo NP, I'd suggest seeing more of Flores. Mind you, we went in May so not sure how the weather is in March. We've only been to Java, Bali, Lombok, Sulawesi, and Flores and Flores was our favorite, including a few nights on Kanawa (not sure if that's still available). The snorkeling was amazing (IMO better than anywhere we've been in Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, etc.). If you dive, even better! We flew to Ende and made our way West over several days with a car/driver (would recommend the dude 100%).

For Malaysia, have only been to Sabah, Sarawak, KL, and the Perhentians (took four weeks for those places). Borneo was awesome and would highly recommend that. Especially Mulu park and Bako park. Again, not sure about weather in May.

In the Philippines we went to North Luzon, Bohol, and Palawan so not sure my advice would be relevant. Spent a day or two in Manila and one in Cebu City (IMO minimize time in both those cities).

Only been to Taipei for 24 hrs and never been to Singapore so hopefully others will chime in.

I think you're better off sticking to just SEA. With 4-5 months and five countries on your wishlist, if you don't want to rush around, you'd have a pretty packed 4-5 months. Sounds like a great trip!
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4399 posts
1691 upvotes
Edmonton
mcbg1 wrote: You won't see sea turtles in Bali...
I thought there would be some in Kuta? Seen bunch of pictures and some information on it online. I guess there is no more then? Or care to explain
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4399 posts
1691 upvotes
Edmonton
amz155 wrote: If you're going to go to Komodo NP, I'd suggest seeing more of Flores. Mind you, we went in May so not sure how the weather is in March. We've only been to Java, Bali, Lombok, Sulawesi, and Flores and Flores was our favorite, including a few nights on Kanawa (not sure if that's still available). The snorkeling was amazing (IMO better than anywhere we've been in Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, etc.). If you dive, even better! We flew to Ende and made our way West over several days with a car/driver (would recommend the dude 100%).

For Malaysia, have only been to Sabah, Sarawak, KL, and the Perhentians (took four weeks for those places). Borneo was awesome and would highly recommend that. Especially Mulu park and Bako park. Again, not sure about weather in May.

In the Philippines we went to North Luzon, Bohol, and Palawan so not sure my advice would be relevant. Spent a day or two in Manila and one in Cebu City (IMO minimize time in both those cities).

Only been to Taipei for 24 hrs and never been to Singapore so hopefully others will chime in.

I think you're better off sticking to just SEA. With 4-5 months and five countries on your wishlist, if you don't want to rush around, you'd have a pretty packed 4-5 months. Sounds like a great trip!
Nice nice. Yes. The second post we decided to do just SEA. We will bring our own snorkelling gear (two small backpacks is all we really travel with) and I do plan to do some diving in Philippines and get a cert for it. So looks like we can do more diving in. And Luzon/Palawan is definitely on the list for Philippines. Will check up on all that list for Indonesia as definitely interested in more diving and snorkelling, as well as want to see the cultural aspect.

We love to try cultural food too, so while IM hearing it's not as exciting as Vietnamese or Thai, I hear it's better than Cambodian.

The night markets in Taipei were real good so hoping to get back there and last time we only did Taipei, would love to visit rest of Taiwan.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4399 posts
1691 upvotes
Edmonton
ariel wrote: Haven't been to those places in the winter, but you should skip Machu Picchu in March. It's rainy season and it's dangerous. They've closed it off around that time in previous years due to mudslide and people have died. If you want to go there, go at the beginning of your trip. I was there in November and weather was great
Thanks for the tip. I read up a little more and looks like we gotta do it another time. This time sticking to southeast Asia. Though I keep hearing Machu Picchu is like the mecca over there where everyone goes to see, and pictures look simply amazing
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: I thought there would be some in Kuta? Seen bunch of pictures and some information on it online. I guess there is no more then? Or care to explain
Yes, there is an organization which releases baby turtles back to the ocean regularly in Kuta but otherwise, you won't see any turtles in the wild or get to swim with some anywhere in Bali.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4399 posts
1691 upvotes
Edmonton
mcbg1 wrote: Yes, there is an organization which releases baby turtles back to the ocean regularly in Kuta but otherwise, you won't see any turtles in the wild or get to swim with some anywhere in Bali.
Oh okay thank you for the insight.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6704 posts
1442 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: Oh okay thank you for the insight.
Also, the beach at Kuta, Bali (not to be confused with Kuta, Lombok) is kinda gross lol. The water isn't very clean.

Have you considered the Gili Islands instead?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4698 posts
610 upvotes
Personally I'd go to southern Spain, but then again I hope to retire there in the winters.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4399 posts
1691 upvotes
Edmonton
So this is what we got so far.
Philippines spend most time in Palawan
Fly into manila, spend a couple days and do:
Mt balagbag, mt daraitan and mt pulag, and see banaue and some of the Luzon rainforest.
Then fly to siargao to do some surfing. Then to Puerto princesa. And do El Nido (biscuit bay, entalula island,) Danang, Coron and do diving and snorkelling.

Then go Indonesia and fly to Flores
(LBJ, ende, Komodo national park, padar island, bajawa)
Then start going west.
Lombok, Gili islands, tetebatu, senaru.

Keep going west to Yogyakarta and then Jakarta.

From there want to go to malaysia, probably start east side and go west again
So Borneo/Sabah and do danum valley, then fly over to KL see the city, and go west to Penang (Georgetown for the food, Cameron Highlands for the tea and scenery)

So far how does it sound? Plan to be approx 1 month each country or so
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4399 posts
1691 upvotes
Edmonton
IceBlueShoes wrote: Personally I'd go to southern Spain, but then again I hope to retire there in the winters.
Europe in probably two years. Spain and Portugal would be awesome for sure, but also Croatia and everything in between.