Art and Photography

Where and how do you showcase your work ??

• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2018 1:25 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7724 posts
1605 upvotes

Where and how do you showcase your work ??

Well, been using Flickr but SmugMug is already asking people to delete their photos and account if they don't want to deal with SmugMug's policies after the takeover.

Just planning ahead and I am well aware of & have used Facebook, Instagram & Google Photos, but they all seem to have their own issues and problems as well.

So, curious as to what some of you typically do and keeping in mind, I am not a pro but like to share and showcase my work.

Thx.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
16 replies
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1362 posts
675 upvotes
Squarespace. With Squarespace, create beautiful Website with their award winning design and templates. Sponsored by Squarespace. Nah just kidding. Maybe it's the contents I'm watching, but 50% of the youtubers I follow are sponsored by them. The other half is mostly Audible. No matter how nice Squarespace is, I'm just sick of hearing about it at every videos I watch...

I use Instagram only. FB too but that's only for close friends to see. I have being on it for years and it's just easy to see what others do and what I want to share. I also like that Instagram is mostly pictures from anyone who has a device with a camera on it. I often see pictures taken by someone who has no photography knowledge but still captured some beautiful moments.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7724 posts
1605 upvotes
"Fine, I'll put it on Facebook like a caveman." - Big Bang Theory.

Yeah, looks like Instagram is it, I will have to evolve from Caveman status.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4468 posts
2119 upvotes
Calgary
Instagram and Facebook is how you will get viewers and people booking you, period. A website is a good complimentary tool, and a great selling feature and I do get some bookings via google search, but your go to is Instagram and Facebook these days. Most of my booking happen through Instagram and Facebook.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4536 posts
1449 upvotes
Toronto
I have long delayed on activating my Flickr account but what are the downsides to SmugMug's takeover?
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1267 posts
1032 upvotes
Montreal
Same, Instagram mostly and some on 500px
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4151 posts
519 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote: I have long delayed on activating my Flickr account but what are the downsides to SmugMug's takeover?
this, what are some poor business practice of SmugSmug?

I tried 500px, but they sell your work without permission, if this is to be believed.
https://petapixel.com/2017/05/25/beware ... ut-credit/
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7724 posts
1605 upvotes
Unlike Flickr, SmugMug is fee based, so the first concern is since they own the free competitor now, will they start charging for the hosting ??

Secondly, if they maintain Flickr as a free or next to image hosting site then the second concern is would user then have to give up the rights to their image and let Flickr/SmugMug start selling them like on SmugMug ?? Mind you, on SmugMug, you will get a cut for every sale but the concern is exact conditions and policies may change again after the takeover is settled.
M1GOmigs wrote: I have long delayed on activating my Flickr account but what are the downsides to SmugMug's takeover?
twitchyzero wrote: this, what are some poor business practice of SmugSmug?

I tried 500px, but they sell your work without permission, if this is to be believed.
https://petapixel.com/2017/05/25/beware ... ut-credit/
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4151 posts
519 upvotes
smugsmug is family-owned, frankly I trust them over Yahoo, a search giant aka. advertising powerhouse
I would be surprised if they rid the free basic membership
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1267 posts
1032 upvotes
Montreal
twitchyzero wrote: smugsmug is family-owned, frankly I trust them over Yahoo, a search giant aka. advertising powerhouse
This. For once it is not a Chinese company buying a photo sharing website, Flickr will be remain as is as far as I know.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7724 posts
1605 upvotes
Hope so guys, we will see.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4404 posts
1398 upvotes
Vancouver
twitchyzero wrote: smugsmug is family-owned, frankly I trust them over Yahoo, a search giant aka. advertising powerhouse
Are they family owned? I thought they sold out a year or two ago but still sit in management positions.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4536 posts
1449 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone use Amazon Prime Photos? I just noticed I have this via my Prime membership for free...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4404 posts
1398 upvotes
Vancouver
I have Amazon Prime Photos but it has nothing on the other two except it is free with your Prime membership.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4151 posts
519 upvotes
you could be right NewsyL, it's just what I gathered from looking into it
either way I'm more open to use my empty Flickr account now

Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1267 posts
1032 upvotes
Montreal
M1GOmigs wrote: Anyone use Amazon Prime Photos? I just noticed I have this via my Prime membership for free...
I use Prime photos to backup all of my RAW files (120,000 and counting)
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4404 posts
1398 upvotes
Vancouver
RAW backup! had not thought of that.... good one.