Automotive

Where To Install Ignition Kill Switch

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2019 9:35 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 12, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote

Where To Install Ignition Kill Switch

Looking for a trusted shop in GTA to install ignition kill switch on vehicle to deter theft.
9 replies
Member
Sep 25, 2015
477 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hiwtflolhaha wrote: Looking for a trusted shop in GTA to install ignition kill switch on vehicle to deter theft.
Do it yourself with wire connectors that snap together. Just get the schematic of your car from eBay and find the color wire that goes to the starter and a meter that reads voltage. Make sure to only cut the starter wire and not something critical like the fuel pump in case there is a loose connection while driving. If you have questions just ask here. Use at your own risk as I mentioned you may cut the wrong wire if you don't check voltage readings properly.
These are the connectors I bought from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0053PYEE0
Images
  • Screenshot_20191215-072554.png
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1140 posts
1375 upvotes
Barrie, ON
RedStrikeCa wrote:
These are the connectors I bought from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0053PYEE0
These connectors are awful, I'd stay away from them. Sure they make things a bit quicker but nothing beats a properly soldered connection or crimp if required.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
4491 posts
1172 upvotes
Hiwtflolhaha wrote: Looking for a trusted shop in GTA to install ignition kill switch on vehicle to deter theft.
We have theft on our policies if the car gets stolen .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8592 posts
5455 upvotes
Kootenays
pfbmgd wrote: We have theft on our policies if the car gets stolen .
From post #156 http://forums.redflagdeals.com/our-lexu ... 303556/11/

FYI - I had a Lexus SUV (RX 350) stolen from my house 3 days after delivery (less than 90 km on the odometer).
It cost me about $2,500 to own the SUV for three days. Deductible of $500 and insurance said that freight and pdi (about $2,000) were not covered by policy.
I fought with Lexus / Toyota and the insurance company for two months (I gave up).
Consumers should be aware of the problems with Lexus and Toyota SUVS. Police never in came to the house for a $60,000 vehicle being stolen.
Be aware – For your and your family’s safety.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1140 posts
1375 upvotes
Barrie, ON
smacd wrote: From post #156 http://forums.redflagdeals.com/our-lexu ... 303556/11/

FYI - I had a Lexus SUV (RX 350) stolen from my house 3 days after delivery (less than 90 km on the odometer).
It cost me about $2,500 to own the SUV for three days. Deductible of $500 and insurance said that freight and pdi (about $2,000) were not covered by policy.
I fought with Lexus / Toyota and the insurance company for two months (I gave up).
Consumers should be aware of the problems with Lexus and Toyota SUVS. Police never in came to the house for a $60,000 vehicle being stolen.
Be aware – For your and your family’s safety.
Police shouldn't care about the value of the vehicle, to them it's another stolen car(as it should be). Toyota on the other hand needs to get a handle on this.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 19, 2008
6581 posts
2150 upvotes
GTA
RedStrikeCa wrote: Do it yourself with wire connectors that snap together. Just get the schematic of your car from eBay and find the color wire that goes to the starter and a meter that reads voltage. Make sure to only cut the starter wire and not something critical like the fuel pump in case there is a loose connection while driving. If you have questions just ask here. Use at your own risk as I mentioned you may cut the wrong wire if you don't check voltage readings properly.
These are the connectors I bought from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0053PYEE0
Surely you mean a lighter gauge wire that goes to the starter's solenoid?

I would think this could be better done by selecting an ignition switch wire, adding a high quality switch to break that connection that can be reached from driver's seat. No need to open/close engine hood every morning/night. Often cars have unused punch outs where OEM switches can be installed, not as safe as a switch up under the lower dash cowl that's hard to discover.
I think a factory switch in an unused space that says fog lights but actually interrupts ignition would be used and look good:
Image
Lots of OEM looking switches on Aliexpress, put one in my kids truck.
Member
Sep 25, 2015
477 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Zamboni wrote: Surely you mean a lighter gauge wire that goes to the starter's solenoid?
Ya, that's what I meant.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
4491 posts
1172 upvotes
smacd wrote:
Be aware – For your and your family’s safety.
That is why I always leave my keys at the front door . I don`t want guys coming to my bedroom asking for the keys .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15709 posts
13449 upvotes
Richmond Hill
pfbmgd wrote: That is why I always leave my keys at the front door . I don`t want guys coming to my bedroom asking for the keys .
LOL

Top