Automotive

Where to locally buy a 14mm Spark Plug Socket?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2020 2:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4543 posts
4766 upvotes
GTA

Where to locally buy a 14mm Spark Plug Socket?

Anyone know of a brick-and-mortar in the GTA where I can find one of these?

Went to change the plugs on my 2008 Altima 2.5 today and was surprised to find that the typical 5/8" spark plug socket was too big.

Measured the plug across the hex and it's 14mm. Did a quick search and I see a special spark plug socket for this size. Listed for BMW, Mercedes, and apparently my Nissan.

I've never seen one of these in all my years of wrenching, and visits to auto part and tool stores (CT, NAPA, PA etc). I can get one from Amazon, but I have free time this weekend and was hoping to get it done today. I'll do it tomorrow if I can get the socket locally. Thanks!

Last edited by derass on Oct 29th, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
43 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6290 posts
3794 upvotes
Toronto
I think type r uses smaller sparkplug socket too. Buddies' type r isn't due for sparkplug yet so can't confirm. I would just use 14mm deep socket and crack her up and use magnet antenna to pull the sparkplug. If top isn't metal, put it back and guess you need to wait for the proper sparkplug socket.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4147 posts
1496 upvotes
Edmonton
peteryorkuca wrote: I think type r uses smaller sparkplug socket too. Buddies' type r isn't due for sparkplug yet so can't confirm. I would just use 14mm deep socket and crack her up and use magnet antenna to pull the sparkplug. If top isn't metal, put it back and guess you need to wait for the proper sparkplug socket.
Top of what? The spark plug?

Either way, use deep socket and then grab the plug out. Ez
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Jan 13, 2007
577 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
tmkf_patryk wrote: Top of what? The spark plug?

Either way, use deep socket and then grab the plug out. Ez
How would OP grab the plug out though, without a spark plug socket? Deep sockets won't grab the spark plug head.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4147 posts
1496 upvotes
Edmonton
woofster wrote: How would OP grab the plug out though, without a spark plug socket? Deep sockets won't grab the spark plug head.
Anything from a telescoping tweezer to a magnet to the spark plug wire/rubber hose.

You could even tip the extension when your pulling up the socket and the spark plug will stay inside the socket while coming up.

So you know where there are vehicles that say a spark plug change is 3 hours or do because the rear row of spark plugs require a bunch of manifold pieces to be taken off? Us mechanics usually have swivels, extensions and magnets to be able to avoid taking all of it off. Sometimes there's only an inch or two of room so you while you may have the right spark plug socket, you can't take it out :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6290 posts
3794 upvotes
Toronto
tmkf_patryk wrote: Anything from a telescoping tweezer to a magnet to the spark plug wire/rubber hose.

You could even tip the extension when your pulling up the socket and the spark plug will stay inside the socket while coming up.

So you know where there are vehicles that say a spark plug change is 3 hours or do because the rear row of spark plugs require a bunch of manifold pieces to be taken off? Us mechanics usually have swivels, extensions and magnets to be able to avoid taking all of it off. Sometimes there's only an inch or two of room so you while you may have the right spark plug socket, you can't take it out :)
How would you remove 3 sparkplugs on rear banks of 2003 maxima? It required removing of intake manifold and all that fun stuff, 10 hours + labour. If you done it, let me know thx!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12651 posts
7309 upvotes
Brampton
peteryorkuca wrote: How would you remove 3 sparkplugs on rear banks of 2003 maxima? It required removing of intake manifold and all that fun stuff, 10 hours + labour. If you done it, let me know thx!
I get the feeling he doesn't work on too many non-domestics or late models.

He's usually spot on but has also been way off on newer vehicles and non-domestics.

For example there's no way to do the rear plugs on the common Toyota 3.5L 2GR because the intake runner covers the rear bank.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6031 posts
3801 upvotes
Toronto
Isn’t 9/16 just a hair larger than a 14mm? Like 3/4 vs a 19mm?

You sure you didn’t grab a 5/8 socket?
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5194 posts
3527 upvotes
LaLaLand
woofster wrote: How would OP grab the plug out though, without a spark plug socket? Deep sockets won't grab the spark plug head.
I line the inside of the socket head with some duct tape. It pulls the spark plug out with ease.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4147 posts
1496 upvotes
Edmonton
peteryorkuca wrote: How would you remove 3 sparkplugs on rear banks of 2003 maxima? It required removing of intake manifold and all that fun stuff, 10 hours + labour. If you done it, let me know thx!
Vq35 engine?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4147 posts
1496 upvotes
Edmonton
tebore wrote: I get the feeling he doesn't work on too many non-domestics or late models.

He's usually spot on but has also been way off on newer vehicles and non-domestics.

For example there's no way to do the rear plugs on the common Toyota 3.5L 2GR because the intake runner covers the rear bank.
I do lots new and old, I am a mechanic but don't specialize in automotive. Most often I repair Nissan's though, of all brands.
Im sure I made lots of mistakes posting aswell, probably because I don't have the vehicle manual/ALL DATA in front of me. And of course there are many vehicles where you have no chance and must take off everything for rear bank

Edit:. Last week did a Toyota 3.0L sienna. That one for example can do the rear bank with a set of swivels and all sorts of wobbly extensions and stubby's.
Yesterday did a Pontiac aztek where with these specialzed halfmoon wrenches let me save 2 hours of exhaust removal
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12651 posts
7309 upvotes
Brampton
tmkf_patryk wrote: I do lots new and old, I am a mechanic but don't specialize in automotive. Most often I repair Nissan's though, of all brands.
Im sure I made lots of mistakes posting aswell, probably because I don't have the vehicle manual/ALL DATA in front of me. And of course there are many vehicles where you have no chance and must take off everything for rear bank

Edit:. Last week did a Toyota 3.0L sienna. That one for example can do the rear bank with a set of swivels and all sorts of wobbly extensions and stubby's.
Yesterday did a Pontiac aztek where with these specialzed halfmoon wrenches let me save 2 hours of exhaust removal
Yeh those old 60V6s could be reached with some agility and wobbles/extensions. The 2GR on the other hand, actually a lot of the newer 60V6 with "Active" intakes tend to block the rear bank with massive intakes these days.

Either way I was only making an observation, so don't take offense to my post. You're pretty knowledgeable on them older domestics, that's for sure.

I wrench on cars less and less these days, I'm not as young and don't have as much free time as I once did.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4147 posts
1496 upvotes
Edmonton
tebore wrote: Yeh those old 60V6s could be reached with some agility and wobbles/extensions. The 2GR on the other hand, actually a lot of the newer 60V6 with "Active" intakes tend to block the rear bank with massive intakes these days.

Either way I was only making an observation, so don't take offense to my post. You're pretty knowledgeable on them older domestics, that's for sure.

I wrench on cars less and less these days, I'm not as young and don't have as much free time as I once did.
Don't you worry haha.

And I can't help the other poster until I look at the car, I haven't worked on a vq35 in a while, last one was timing belt job. Looking at pictures I think air intake needs to come off
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4651 upvotes
Montreal
tmkf_patryk wrote: Don't you worry haha.

And I can't help the other poster until I look at the car, I haven't worked on a vq35 in a while, last one was timing belt job. Looking at pictures I think air intake needs to come off
VQ35's have timing chains. This along with 'clutches are wear items' = losing credibility fast.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2941 posts
1244 upvotes
GTA
peteryorkuca wrote: Yes
I've done VQ35 in 2002-2005 Altima plug changes in under 3 hours; but there's quite a few bolts that can snap, especiall with how old these cars are now.
There's no way it'd take any competent mechanic 10 hours, or even a DIY'er.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4543 posts
4766 upvotes
GTA
My concern of using a standard deep 14mm is damaging the electrode/gap by dropping the plug into the well, or cross threading the plug if it's sitting crooked in the hole when going to start threading it in. A spark plug socket is designed to avoid these two issues by grasping onto the plug and allowing you you to carefully lower it into the well, and to carefully align and start the threads by hand.
BeaverLiquor wrote: Isn’t 9/16 just a hair larger than a 14mm? Like 3/4 vs a 19mm?

You sure you didn’t grab a 5/8 socket?
I just re-read my OP. There was a typo. I meant 5/8" instead of 9/16".

I ended up buying the one from PA. It's listed as 14mm / 9/16".

The two typical spark plug socket sizes are 5/8" and 13/16". I have both. Up until now, every car I've worked on has used the 5/8". Being the common size, and the smaller of the two, I grabbed this first for the Nissan QR25. However, the plug is a 14mm hex, and so the 5/8" just spins around it.
batcave wrote: I line the inside of the socket head with some duct tape. It pulls the spark plug out with ease.
This probably would have worked too.
Last edited by derass on Oct 29th, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)