Health & Wellness

Where in Ottawa is the best place to get the flu shot?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2020 3:11 pm
[OP]
Nov 2, 2017
120 posts
9 upvotes

Where in Ottawa is the best place to get the flu shot?

Good Afternoon,

I am wondering whereabouts in Ottawa/Nepean (anywhere except Kanata) can I get a flu shot?

I understand there is some difficulty in providing flu shots this year.

Preferably somewhere not too far from the downtown core, but as I said i am willing to commute anywhere.

Thanks!
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
6116 posts
74 upvotes
Ottawa
Getbread wrote: Good Afternoon,

I am wondering whereabouts in Ottawa/Nepean (anywhere except Kanata) can I get a flu shot?

I understand there is some difficulty in providing flu shots this year.

Preferably somewhere not too far from the downtown core, but as I said i am willing to commute anywhere.

Thanks!
Check here: https://reservation.frontdesksuite.ca/o ... Culture=en
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15401 posts
3712 upvotes
Toronto
I just went to the Local Walmart and got it done. I think anywhere that they provide the Flu Shot should be fine. If you are a Senior and need the double dose, that can be harder to find.

Keep in mind that Flu shots *may* prevent the flu but most of the time, are pretty ineffective. The one thing I know is that after getting one, my arm gets sore, and I get body aches and a light fever for the next couple of days. I seem to be gullible and take one every year. I guess the Media has brainwashed us well .
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Sep 4, 2006
975 posts
606 upvotes
Ottawa
I did my reservation online for the public clinic. Booked a 3:10 spot at the Orleans library. Walked in at 3:00, they asked me the questions, filled out the paperwork, sat down, got the shot at 3:03pm, waited 15 min and left. Easy.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1709 posts
1454 upvotes
Ottawa
Pharmacies, your doctor, or the OPH clinics.

My wife and I received ours last week from Rexall in Elmvale Acres. I understand their supply might be gone now, though.

For our toddler, we booked with his pediatrician. He got his earlier this week. We tried the public health clinics, but couldn't get an appointment.
[OP]
Nov 2, 2017
120 posts
9 upvotes
Wouldn't it be more beneficial if I got the double dose?

Maybe the cheap dose from Walmart is too weak.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35653 posts
21738 upvotes
Center of Universe
Getbread wrote: Wouldn't it be more beneficial if I got the double dose?

Are you 65 or older?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1669 posts
2424 upvotes
West
hightech wrote: I just went to the Local Walmart and got it done. I think anywhere that they provide the Flu Shot should be fine. If you are a Senior and need the double dose, that can be harder to find.

Keep in mind that Flu shots *may* prevent the flu but most of the time, are pretty ineffective. The one thing I know is that after getting one, my arm gets sore, and I get body aches and a light fever for the next couple of days. I seem to be gullible and take one every year. I guess the Media has brainwashed us well .
Your arm gets sore, well, because a needle was stabbed into your arm. Your body aches/fever is your body mounting an immune response to the injected substances. These are normal side-effects, and are explained to you every single time you get a flu shot.

With respect to effectiveness, that's the by-product of vaccinating based upon a predictive model. It's not like the scientists can ask the virus what strain it will mutate to come November every year. It is still very important to get your shot, more so for the protection of others. Even a measly 30% risk reduction/incidence is worthwhile.
Getbread wrote: Wouldn't it be more beneficial if I got the double dose?

Administrators of the vaccine don't make or alter them. They just order them and put them in the fridge once they arrive from the supplier. Your statement is like saying Walmart must water down their Heinz ketchup. The adjuvanted/high-dose 65+ vaccine is for seniors, who have a weaker/slower immune system, thus need more of a dose/adjuvant to get proper protection.

If you don't fit that age group, you will be fine with the typical vaccine, and will be hard pressed to find someone to administer that type of vaccine to an ineligible patient.