Art and Photography

Where to photographer in greater vancouver area?

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2018 1:27 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10895 posts
1077 upvotes
Squamish

Where to photographer in greater vancouver area?

Been to vancouver before and stayed in downtown area, and I may do that before but I'll have ~3 full days before I join up with a friend for a roadtrip up towards Jasper along sea-to-sky.

Wondering if anyone could recommend a place to stay and related areas to photograph? Planning to have a car. A little worried/put off by the idea of hiking out too far into nature alone
9 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15395 posts
8280 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Hiking into nature isn't much of an issue as long as you stay on well marked paths and carry in some supplies with the understanding that it's still cold in certain sections of the mountains (along with some snow cover). The people who generally get themselves into trouble are those who believe that it's only a 'short' hike and it's warm outside (at sea level) so who needs to do any prep work. Also, if you are going to go, leave a note with someone on your exact path you are planning to take and tell them when you are going to check in with them. That way they know if you are late and whereabouts you should be.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4411 posts
1400 upvotes
Vancouver
Kaitlyn wrote: Been to vancouver before and stayed in downtown area, and I may do that before but I'll have ~3 full days before I join up with a friend for a roadtrip up towards Jasper along sea-to-sky.

Wondering if anyone could recommend a place to stay and related areas to photograph? Planning to have a car. A little worried/put off by the idea of hiking out too far into nature alone
When you say Sea-to-Sky, do you mean this route?

https://goo.gl/maps/Yey8cNtYjhs

Potentially you could continue past Jasper to Hinton AB for a place to stay as there are lots of hotels in that town and decent places to eat, with probably better availability and for less $$$ than staying in a a national park. There is also some very pretty scenery in that stretch of highway and wildlife though wildlife depends on the time of year. Elk, Mountain Goats, and Bighorn Sheep are heading for higher elevations usually at this time of year.

I have stayed at the St. Regis Hotel (where my map starts from) several years ago and I would recommend it as a unique boutique hotel based on that one visit. I have heard that the Sylvia Hotel is a nice place to stay what with its' location right on English Bay. That is a good area to stay in - safe and lots of restaurants.

https://goo.gl/maps/oP3K24xvVQ22

Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4151 posts
519 upvotes
welcome to BC

Kinney Lake at Mt. Robson
Wells Gray by Clearwater (you can drive up to Helmcken falls)
Joffre Lakes (impossible to get lost...it's a zoo there in the summer in terms of Instuhgram traffic)
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10895 posts
1077 upvotes
Squamish
twitchyzero wrote: welcome to BC

Kinney Lake at Mt. Robson
Wells Gray by Clearwater (you can drive up to Helmcken falls)
Joffre Lakes (impossible to get lost...it's a zoo there in the summer in terms of Instuhgram traffic)
Thanks for those, I'll look into the first 2. Actually going to and camping at joffre lake on our way up to jasper
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5186 posts
1955 upvotes
Toronto
Kaitlyn wrote: Thanks for those, I'll look into the first 2. Actually going to and camping at joffre lake on our way up to jasper
Damn, I need a new career.

Didn't you just get back from 6 month trip in New Zealand?
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10895 posts
1077 upvotes
Squamish
rebel_rfd wrote: Damn, I need a new career.

Didn't you just get back from 6 month trip in New Zealand?
Yes, but this is just a short trip to Banff Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4411 posts
1400 upvotes
Vancouver
Wait.... you're going to Banff too?

Then there is soooooo much more to see.

The Columbia Ice Fields - take the tour.
Lake Louise
Moraine Lake

You don't have enough time....
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4411 posts
1400 upvotes
Vancouver
If you were planning on taking Hwy 99 from Pemberton thru to Lillooet..... might not be happening.

Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4151 posts
519 upvotes
which month are you going?

Columbia ice fields is in a very tragic shape (but to be fair I'm comparing it to when I went in the 90s...and I was in the Southern Patagonian ice field months before a recent Canadian Rockies trip so my bar is quite high)
Peyto Lake is a must...nicest alpine waters in Canada IMO at least for one that's easily accessible
I enjoyed Moraine and Johnston canyon...Moraine you should hit up as early as you can in the day...the parking situation is not just bad...you can't even queue for it but you have to drive back and forth hoping to time it when someone's just coming out...
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.