Home & Garden

where to put snow when the space between your house and next door neighbor is 1 to 2 feet wide?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2019 11:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4524 posts
1335 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON

where to put snow when the space between your house and next door neighbor is 1 to 2 feet wide?

everyone says to shovel the snow which i understand but when you live in a court or cull do sack or what ever its called and the space between your driveway and next door neighbour is about 1 feet, apart, maybe up to 2 feet in some areas, its tiny man, i can barely fit my bluebox on that patch of land without it touching my neighbours driveway, what do u do? where do i put the snow? when i pile it up it just falls down back on my driveway again? someone said its illegal to throw it on the road? so i cant do that?
Hi
50 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1131 posts
580 upvotes
GTA
do you have a lawn on the other side?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4524 posts
1335 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
yup, and its also 1 foot between my neighbours house too
Hi
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11678 posts
8136 upvotes
GTA, ON
So push the snow further up the driveway or to the other side where there is more lawn.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4524 posts
1335 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I do that already, its not easy man, this is why im asking what do other people do? do they throw it on the road? i shovel manually by hand cus im poor not rich so dont have a snow blower or snow thrower

further up i cant pile snow i have a walkway that goes to my front entrance,i cant throw the snow there, and i have some tall shrubs/trees so i cant shovel it there, theres no room .what to do?
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9151 posts
3405 upvotes
Push it to the road before the plow comes through. Then the plow just takes it away. I always try to do this, but is very much dependent on getting up early and out there before the road is done.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12066 posts
6950 upvotes
Markham
Gutty96 wrote: Push it to the road before the plow comes through. Then the plow just takes it away. I always try to do this, but is very much dependent on getting up early and out there before the road is done.
Just a FYI that you're not supposed to do this, you could get fined (not that I've ever seen that happen). Having said that if you're gonna do this, always push the snow towards the right side in front of your house because when the plow comes by it ends up in front of your neighbours house to the right. If you push the snow towards the left side of your house, it ends up blocking your driveway.

https://globalnews.ca/news/1032755/toro ... n-streets/

To the OP... look to your neighbours, left, right, across the street....where is everyone else putting their snow?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4524 posts
1335 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
some people say its illegal to throw snow on the road, this is why i dont do that.
Hi
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12066 posts
6950 upvotes
Markham
GoodFellaz wrote: some people say its illegal to throw snow on the road, this is why i dont do that.
The neighbour's house to your right is where that snow ends up...not neighbourly IMO. If you don't like them or get along with them...then it's OK.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7972 posts
2665 upvotes
Maple
gr8dlr wrote: The neighbour's house to your right is where that snow ends up...not neighbourly IMO. If you don't like them or get along with them...then it's OK.
I know it's illegal to do that, but after many observations
- lots of snow. nowhere to pile snow, in case of OP
- snowplow trucks still plow snow to front curb, most of the time heavy and high, cars can get in/out
- cars park front of your house, plower avoids the car, pile even more snow.
What I do sometimes, push snow down the space, cars can't park there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4524 posts
1335 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
most of my neighbours do not clean their driveways, they are usually in a hurry to go to work they just dust off their car and drive away leaving all the snow behind, usually the old indian guy whos retired, comes out and uses his snow blower to clean his own driveway and blows it on the other peoples driveways which does not matter cus they dont clean it anyways. other than that i dunno what to say. my neighbourhoods ghetto
Hi
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11633 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
How is your lawn 1 ft wide? Did you as asphalt or put stones in what used to be your lawn?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9490 posts
2032 upvotes
Somewhere
OP: my street has a few houses with the same dilemma as you. I know what you're talking about. It's becoming more common these days with tiny lot sizes (even as small as 15').

From what I see on my street, they just bunch it up on the street in between their houses so that they can only fit one car through the snow fort.. and our two lane street becomes one way at certain points. The snow plows just go around the piles of snow.

It is what it is, unfortunately.
:confused:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4524 posts
1335 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
at1212b wrote: How is your lawn 1 ft wide? Did you as asphalt or put stones in what used to be your lawn?
I am not rich, and had very little choice when buying my house due to the skyrocketing housing crisis. My front lawn is 1 foot wide in most places because its an irregular shaped lot, and its a cull do sack or what ever you call it, most of my lawn is in my backyard in stead of the front, so thats why the front driveways are closer together.

hope you understand now.
Hi
Jul 1, 2005
528 posts
144 upvotes
Doubt anyone can give any meaningful advice to you OP. You just need to find a way that work for yourself.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11633 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: I am not rich, and had very little choice when buying my house due to the skyrocketing housing crisis. My front lawn is 1 foot wide in most places because its an irregular shaped lot, and its a cull do sack or what ever you call it, most of my lawn is in my backyard in stead of the front, so thats why the front driveways are closer together.

hope you understand now.
I don't know. I've seen cul de sacs have pie shaped lawns so more space in the back. There are restrictions how wide driveways can be as a proportion of the whole properly generally, and yes, there are newer townhouse complexes where the lots are tight but would have different regulations than a detach. What are your neighbours doing?

I don't think we will fully understand unless you post a picture of the lawn or neighbour's lawn. Also, the size and type of the house has little to do with pricing depending on the location. So your tiny cramped house could be only afforded by a 'rich' person.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9639 posts
5036 upvotes
Paris
My buddy lives off town line road in Cambridge and has a sidewalk and 4 car driveway with little room between houses. A few years back he needed to buy a new snow thrower as he couldn’t find anywhere to pile the snow as it was over his snow throwers top. The whole subdivision looked hilarious. The driveways are lined up together, so you get house/garage/garage/house. I never noticed until then that my neighbourhood is house/garage/house/garage. Way more room to put snow on your and your neighbours front lawn.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1908 posts
1123 upvotes
If you don't already, park on your driveway and brush your car(s) off on the road. It will save a large area where snow won't accumulate and also less you have to shovel. Did this at my old townhouse and still do it at my current house.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9151 posts
3405 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Just a FYI that you're not supposed to do this, you could get fined (not that I've ever seen that happen). Having said that if you're gonna do this, always push the snow towards the right side in front of your house because when the plow comes by it ends up in front of your neighbours house to the right. If you push the snow towards the left side of your house, it ends up blocking your driveway.

https://globalnews.ca/news/1032755/toro ... n-streets/

To the OP... look to your neighbours, left, right, across the street....where is everyone else putting their snow?
Interesting...... Good to know.

I will be okay where I am at though, as we have a town house, shared / common drive which is cleared by a private contractor, not the town.

However, I retract my recommendation for those whom are cleared by the town.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4524 posts
1335 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
eclone wrote: If you don't already, park on your driveway and brush your car(s) off on the road. It will save a large area where snow won't accumulate and also less you have to shovel. Did this at my old townhouse and still do it at my current house.
I do this already. so i can normally fit 2 cars on my driveway in the summer, but in winter when i make the pile high between me and my neighbour, its so high that snow falls down and makes less space on my driveway, so yeah its tighter in the winter to go in and out. and when i do i drive on the road blindly, and then get out ,and brush all the snow off my windsheld, roof, doors ,etc. then clean the car, then clean the driveway, then move my wifes car into my spot and clean her side. then back my car back up in the driveway and call it a day, then just my luck the snow plow comes and leaves a tail on the bottom of my driveway and i now have no where to throw it and i often push it back on the road but i heard its illegal so i tried to pile it on side between me and my next door neigbours lawn but its tight, and small.
Hi