Where to stay in Bangkok?

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2019 9:36 am
[OP]
Jan 2, 2019
362 posts
53 upvotes

Where to stay in Bangkok?

This will be my first time visiting Bangkok, any recommendations on where to stay?

Looking for some place convenient such as close to MRT station.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1453 posts
325 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
It kind of depends what you’re interested in. We chose to stay in the old city, because the things we wanted to see and do were mostly within walking distance. We were just a few blocks down from Khao San road (I know, tourist trap and not very Thai, but it was our first time in Asia and we had no idea what to expect). One day we took the canal boat and then the MRT to the Chatuchak market
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2007
1334 posts
358 upvotes
Sukhumvit would be the most convenient area to stay with access to both BTS and MRT close by.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20048 posts
4604 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
stillmatic11 wrote: Sukhumvit would be the most convenient area to stay with access to both BTS and MRT close by.
This is a good idea if you are interested in entertainment, shopping, nightlife. The area is also a great transit hub if you don't mind talking public transit.

Please note that many of those very famous landmarks like the Reclining Buddha, Wat Saket, The Grand Palace, etc., are all far from here. But even that can be an adventure because you get to take a water canal taxi from Saphan to get where you're going.

Pratunam market is a fair hike away. Chatuchak market will require more public transit. You can't walk it.

I stayed at Adelphi in the Sukhumvit area and it was definitely tops with a fantastic breakfast buffet and amazing helpful staff. Extremely clean. I found practically nothing to complain about. And I was still able to reach all of those famous landmarks with a bit of planning.

But let's say you have kids and don't want to expose them to the famous Thai nightlife and 'male-friendly' entertainment, stay away from this area. Even walking the streets after 11 PM, you will see streetwalkers everywhere. Most of them will ignore you if you ignore them. Most. Winking Face
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
23973 posts
5610 upvotes
where I belong
stillmatic11 wrote: Sukhumvit would be the most convenient area to stay with access to both BTS and MRT close by.
+1 this
close to Terminal 21 is even better :)

I'd say, mark all the places you want to go on Google Maps and then find somewhere central to them

FYI, taxi is DIRT cheap in Bangkok, but traffic is VERY BAD always, use GrabTaxi app
e.g. old palace (west side) to Terminal 21 took 1 hour for us, but only costs $5-$10 CAD if I recall
Last edited by jerryhung on May 6th, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2007
1334 posts
358 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: +1 this
close to Forever 21 is even better :)

I'd say, mark all the places you want to go on Google Maps and then find somewhere central to them

FYI, taxi is DIRT cheap in Bangkok, but traffic is VERY BAD always, use GrabTaxi app
e.g. old palace (west side) to Forever 21 took 1 hour for us, but only costs $5-$10 CAD if I recall
Pretty sure you mean Terminal 21?

But, yes traffic is terrible everywhere. I always prefer BTS when possible. Even the MRT gets really crowded during rush hour and it can be a 20 minute wait just to buy the fare if you haven't loaded up a smart card.

The most efficient way to get around is by Motor Taxi. You will be able to snake around parked cars at stop lights, but this certainly isn't the safest mode of transportation. It's a bit of an adventure getting on one.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
23973 posts
5610 upvotes
where I belong
stillmatic11 wrote: Pretty sure you mean Terminal 21?

But, yes traffic is terrible everywhere. I always prefer BTS when possible. Even the MRT gets really crowded during rush hour and it can be a 20 minute wait just to buy the fare if you haven't loaded up a smart card.

The most efficient way to get around is by Motor Taxi. You will be able to snake around parked cars at stop lights, but this certainly isn't the safest mode of transportation. It's a bit of an adventure getting on one.
sorry, fixed, Terminal 21 for sure. I missed it's CHEAP food court

We have 4 people, BTS is not cheap nor as convenient as GrabTaxi :) plus it's super cold AC

Tuk Tuk is cool, but you inhale bad air all the way, and quite unsafe. Plus, they gauge you during rush hours (my wife paid like $200 THB for a 500m-1KM walk)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
[OP]
Jan 2, 2019
362 posts
53 upvotes
I'm thinking of staying near Siam BTS station, is that a good place?

Looks like it's the central of everything.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1963 posts
853 upvotes
HK
BKK has a wide range of accomodations. Back then SPG chain had something like 17 hotels alone.

I prefer hotels that are somewhat connected to the BTS (eg Grand Sheraton, Westin, Renaissance, St-Regis).

Use Agoda, it is very popular in SEA.
Jan 8, 2012
672 posts
439 upvotes
Williams Lake
I stayed at the Centre Point Silom Hotel near Saphan Taksin Subway Station.

It's right on the river, and the river boats leave from under the station.

For me, visiting the historic sites, it was a good location. I loved the river boats, though I don't think they would be a good option with children.

Brilliant city, full of things to do. Have fun.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5677 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
Check out Zenith sukhumvit hotel, good area, lots of restaurants just outside the hotel. Night life is great too in that area.

And be prepared for dual pricing for tourists.