• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2018 8:30 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3947 posts
1379 upvotes
Vancouver
We were in LA in mid december and got an air bnb in the "East Hollywood" area. My preferred area to stay would have been Echo Park/Silver Lake area as the streets looked pretty nice and there were minimal bars on windows of houses. But our place in east hollywood was pretty good and felt pretty central. If you have a rental car and decide to stay in LA, make sure there's ample street parking!
Mar 3, 2005
331 posts
191 upvotes
Hey. We were planning on going to LA on that Delta airline deal but we nixed, it so am selling a universal studios pass for 1 day. It's like $130US but selling it for $120 cad. Msg me if you'd like it. Great deal. Sorry to hijack your thread. Face With Rolling Eyes
:cheesygri
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
we also stayed near the Torrance area, a few years ago, in the Gardena district. (Gardena Terrace Inn). We did Santa Monica/Venice Beach one day and rented bicycles on the beach, it was a lot of fun. We spent one afternoon in Hollywood, but too be honest, I found it pretty run down and not very appealing at all.

The beach areas near Manhattan and Hermosa were really nice too, with lots of good restaurants and a nice typical Cali vibe.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
1564 posts
146 upvotes
Is there like time limit/catch to renting bikes.
I am staying in comfort inn (free parking) SM with car Rental but it is not walking distance so I guess will be parking on the pier and would be renting bikes say want to rest with kids do I just park bikes somewhere?
Also anyone have experience using the SM/la transit. Traveling with three kids so wondering if would better off to take transit (which card?) to cover Peterson auto museum, the broad and Griffith/Getty or using Rental . I have for 2 days to use and third day need to make into lax for 1pm flight so assuming the trip be easier in the Rental.
Mar 3, 2017
73 posts
62 upvotes
I'm planning a trip to LA and I'm a little stuck on where to stay. Must be a Marriott hotel as I'm intending on using points for the trip and I get breakfast where I'm a Plat. Close to a beach would be a bonus.

We're doing up to 7 days in LA. Places we want to do are: Wine Country (Malibu/Santa Barbara), San Diego, Beaches, Hollywood/Beverely Hills/Sunset Blvd, The Getty Centre, CBS Television studio/any TV or movie studio tour, shop, and maybe Griffith Observatory. Chances are we'll get a car, given trips to wine country and San Diego.

My initial thought was Santa Monica, but the only two Marriotts are the JW which didn't look nice for the points needed, expensive parking, daily resort fee, and would need to be an upcharge for hot breakfast. The other one is in Marina Del Ray, didn't look nice, cramped breakfast lounge, and is close to Venice Beach.

I looked at long beach, and while the hotels are cheaper on the points (especially the Renissance), it seems far away from LA and a lot of stuff. If there's cheap parking near Marriott hotels though it may not be so bad.

There is a Marriott in Beverely Hills that was recently renovated, but not close to beach..

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
spicedndiet wrote: I looked at long beach, and while the hotels are cheaper on the points (especially the Renissance), it seems far away from LA and a lot of stuff. If there's cheap parking near Marriott hotels though it may not be so bad.
We stayed in Long Beach for a couple days on one of our trips and my thoughts are that it is a much more working class town and can be rough around the edges. It's not exactly a place I would choose to hang out in - but more a place to use as a jumping off point.

There are several Marriott locations in Pasadena and Burbank. There is a nice one near the staples centre as well. While both of these are north, they are good locations for some of what you want to do.

Manhattan Beach has some Marriotts I think - is that too far away for you since you didn't mention it?
Mar 3, 2017
73 posts
62 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: We stayed in Long Beach for a couple days on one of our trips and my thoughts are that it is a much more working class town and can be rough around the edges. It's not exactly a place I would choose to hang out in - but more a place to use as a jumping off point. On closer inspection, I noticed that, pass for me IMO.

There are several Marriott locations in Pasadena and Burbank. There is a nice one near the staples centre as well. While both of these are north, they are good locations for some of what you want to do. I noticed the relatively new JW one in Downtown looks nice. It is far away from a beach but I think the missus would be OK with a pool. I was thinking Burbank/Beverley Hills would be a decent compromise even though the FS Marriott technically isn't in BH.

Manhattan Beach has some Marriotts I think - is that too far away for you since you didn't mention it? Trying avoid renting a car for the whole week as parking is insane. The FS Manhattan Beach looks like it recently underwent a reno. I'll have to check on the breakfast situation. Any knowledge of that one?
Reply in bold. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
spicedndiet wrote: I noticed the relatively new JW one in Downtown looks nice. It is far away from a beach but I think the missus would be OK with a pool. I was thinking Burbank/Beverley Hills would be a decent compromise even though the FS Marriott technically isn't in BH.
One of the nice things with the Burbank location is that you are actually in the north which is close to some of the places you have outlined. That at least saves some driving time. It's at least a compromise between price and location - as you have seen some of the really good locations are really expensive (I assume for you that's more points). However, if you are trying to avoid renting a car for the whole week then perhaps Burbank isn't the best location for you. Truthfully I don't think you'll find a location where you are not renting a car for 5 or 6 out of the 7 days. The best advice I can give you is rent a car from a location near your hotel where you can drop off at the end of the day - this saves your hotel parking charge at least. Your list of "to dos" really leads me to think you need a car almost all the time.

Also if you are planning any of the outlet shopping you'll need a car - no real outlets in LA.

I'm trying to figure out whether your potential itinerary makes sense - while I love San Diego I'm not sure if it's worth the time for you since I assume you fly in / out of LAX. I'm not sure going for 1-2 days is worth the travel.
Trying avoid renting a car for the whole week as parking is insane. The FS Manhattan Beach looks like it recently underwent a reno. I'll have to check on the breakfast situation. Any knowledge of that one?
Sorry we haven't stay in Manhattan Beach - we prefer Santa Monica and stick with it when that's what we are looking for. Manhattan Beach is going to be a drive though for most of your attractions - except the beach itself.
Dec 21, 2010
344 posts
258 upvotes
SaugaDealz wrote: I airbnb'd, lets you pay in canadian which helped me out but I ended up having to take a train to union everyday from out west. Usually not much to pick unless you book ahead of time too.
Just want u to aware that Airbnb charges 3% commission for u to pay in C$. The C$ amount shown was converted from US$ + 3%.
Mar 16, 2015
168 posts
138 upvotes
BC
spicedndiet wrote: ...
There is a Marriott in Beverely Hills that was recently renovated, but not close to beach..

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
I still say Torrance is a nice alternative not to far from things ( considering Las messed up traffic). 10 mins to Redondo beach with great seafood and a cheesecake factory etc. Close to Del Amo Mall etc. Free parking breakfast and will be way less points than staying in a premium location like Santa Monica0a

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/l ... ba596febe2
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
Anyone know if El Segundo is an OK area to stay in ... or is it very rough?
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2002
1089 posts
104 upvotes
One thing not to be missed in LA you should add to your list is
the Getty Center.
Admission is free and it is a beautiful art gallery/museum with beautiful views and architecture.

Also if you go up the coast is the Getty Villa which is also free and has nice sculpture and gardens.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2466 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
I'm staying in Long Beach for a week, does the Metro from LA extend that far? Would you recommend renting a car instead or taking uber during my stay?
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2205 posts
1124 upvotes
Wilmega wrote: I'm staying in Long Beach for a week, does the Metro from LA extend that far? Would you recommend renting a car instead or taking uber during my stay?
I felt a car is needed in LA, since the transit system is rather scarce and the city is rather big.

Depends where you go, if you are just staying around and about, you may be able to get away with just Uber. Otherwise, a car is very much needed. imo.
May 3, 2015
401 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Wilmega wrote: I'm staying in Long Beach for a week, does the Metro from LA extend that far? Would you recommend renting a car instead or taking uber during my stay?
Renting a car is probably the best call to get around if you are comfortable driving/are able to. From Long Beach to West Hollywood it is around an hour (traffic pending), so that's a pretty expensive uber. I believe you could take the Metro Blue Line to the Red Line to get to the same location, but would take about 2.5 hours each way (but would be much cheaper). I guess it depends on your itinerary (where in LA are you going?) and how much you value your time.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2466 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
manho wrote: I felt a car is needed in LA, since the transit system is rather scarce and the city is rather big.

Depends where you go, if you are just staying around and about, you may be able to get away with just Uber. Otherwise, a car is very much needed. imo.
MikeZ13 wrote: Renting a car is probably the best call to get around if you are comfortable driving/are able to. From Long Beach to West Hollywood it is around an hour (traffic pending), so that's a pretty expensive uber. I believe you could take the Metro Blue Line to the Red Line to get to the same location, but would take about 2.5 hours each way (but would be much cheaper). I guess it depends on your itinerary (where in LA are you going?) and how much you value your time.
Thanks! Looks like renting is probably the best way to go, just dreading the traffic and parking situation.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2205 posts
1124 upvotes
Wilmega wrote: Thanks! Looks like renting is probably the best way to go, just dreading the traffic and parking situation.
Traffic will be bad. Take it as part of the LA experience.

It's so bad that the Boring Company (train going in a vacuum tunnel) idea started from Elon Musk sitting in traffic in LA.
May 3, 2015
401 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Wilmega wrote: Thanks! Looks like renting is probably the best way to go, just dreading the traffic and parking situation.
Haha, yeah that's fair. Honestly, when we were there, there were only a couple times that we got caught in really bad traffic. Like manho says, if it does happen, just take it as a part of the experience (we did).

If you want to try to avoid traffic, try to make sure to go on your day trips early morning or after rush hour. If you can't avoid it, give yourself lot's of time in advance if you are going to something time sensitive. To ease your anxiety on parking, look up lots/parking locations beforehand by where you are going so you can set your GPS for there (we found this made things much easier).

Enjoy your trip! :)
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2466 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
I have a tentative itinerary for my week in LA. I bought a go LA pass for 3 days. How does the below look?

Wednesday (arrive 11am - checkin 3pm) - Hollywood sign hike 6-8pm, Griffith Observatory 9-10pm
Thursday - Full Day Disneyland 8am-8pm
Friday - Malibu Celebrity Homes Tour (am), LA Zoo (afternoon), downtown LA starting 5pm (Que Skyspace, Grand Central, Angels flight railway)
Saturday - Whale Watching Cruise (Long Beach or San Pedro), Santa Monica Pier & activities & Venice Beach boardwalk, Hop on Hop off Tour (Yellow Line)
Sunday - Free?
Monday - Hollywood walk of Fame, the Grove, Universal Studios (afternoon to evening)
Tuesday - Leaving PM
May 3, 2015
401 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Wilmega wrote: I have a tentative itinerary for my week in LA. I bought a go LA pass for 3 days. How does the below look?

Wednesday (arrive 11am - checkin 3pm) - Hollywood sign hike 6-8pm, Griffith Observatory 9-10pm - may be a bit tight for the hike, takes at least at hour each way I'd say (we did a more leisure pace at 1.5 hours, taking pics, etc), and you may want to chill at the sign for a bit. If you are able to start at 5pm, i'd recommend that. Bring snacks/food in a bag and eat at the sign if you are worried about dinner, that's what we did for lunch there.
Thursday - Full Day Disneyland 8am-8pm - This sounds fun.
Friday - Malibu Celebrity Homes Tour (am), LA Zoo (afternoon), downtown LA starting 5pm (Que Skyspace, Grand Central, Angels flight railway) - should be fun, downtown LA is pretty boring imo, so starting there at 5pm is fine, could also check out the Broad museum. I'd pitch the Warner Brothers Studio Tour over the Zoo (also comes with the pass), but if you really like animals it's obviously up to you
Saturday - Whale Watching Cruise (Long Beach or San Pedro), Santa Monica Pier & activities & Venice Beach boardwalk, Hop on Hop off Tour (Yellow Line) - This day sounds pretty long/intense to me, may want to choose what you really like/want to do. The whale watching may bring you too far out of the way to do all you want in Santa Monica. But, if you're willing to start early and are staying closeby (which I think you mentioned?), could be doable.
Sunday - Free? - Ideas are go the Getty, see a movie in one of the famous theatres, go to a famous comedy club (comedy store/laugh factory), go back to santa monica, do more hiking, beverly hills, see a sports team
Monday - Hollywood walk of Fame, the Grove, Universal Studios (afternoon to evening) - This is good and sounds fun. I'd maybe move the grove to Tuesday (if you feel you have time) to spend more time at Universal or cut it all together. It's fine there, but unless you really want to shop, I don't think you're missing much. We only went there because we had tickets to James Cordon and it was close by
Tuesday - Leaving PM
Response above, hope it helps!