• Aug 25th, 2021 12:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6915 posts
4653 upvotes
SW ON

Where to take passport photos?

Costco was a good place while it lasted. Now I need to do this for unvaccinated kids who are too young to be vaccinated. Small studios seem uncomfortable. Small rooms with a potential of flying aerosols depending on who was there before us. And the mask needs to be off, obviously.

Did anyone encounter a studio that takes pictures outside? Other places that do it in large rooms like Costco did? I understand that it's location dependent but what you post may be useful to others.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2540 posts
2487 upvotes
Ottawa
Shoppers is around $20.

Wal-Mart currently has a deal on passport photos. $13 if you order online (picture is taken in-store), and they throw in 25 4x6 prints for free.

CAA also does passport photos. Print photos are free if you're a Plus or Premier member. $8.50 if you have a basic membership. $15 if you're not a member.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6915 posts
4653 upvotes
SW ON
donttoewsmebro wrote: Shoppers does passport photos.
Dynatos wrote: Shoppers is around $20.

Wal-Mart currently has a deal on passport photos. $13 if you order online (picture is taken in-store), and they throw in 25 4x6 prints for free.

CAA also does passport photos. Print photos are free if you're a Plus or Premier member. $8.50 if you have a basic membership. $15 if you're not a member.
Do they do it in small studio rooms or in the open like Costco did? We would rather avoid places of potential infection.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2540 posts
2487 upvotes
Ottawa
alpovs wrote: Do they do it in small studio rooms or in the open like Costco did? We would rather avoid places of potential infection.
I haven't had them done at any of those locations, but the CAA equivalent we used in Alberta (AMA) did them in a smallish room.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5348 posts
7654 upvotes
Ontario
@Dynatos Did not know about the CAA/passport photos service (I'm not a member but two family members are-they used to get photos taken at Costco). Someone I know is looking for a passport photo place and I know of a CAA location in her area so I'll let her know. Thanks!
Fall is here!😃
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2540 posts
2487 upvotes
Ottawa
Ciel wrote: @Dynatos Did not know about the CAA/passport photos service (I'm not a member but two family members are-they used to get photos taken at Costco). Someone I know is looking for a passport photo place and I know of a CAA location in her area so I'll let her know. Thanks!
At $15, the price is still actually pretty good for non-members now that Costco stopped doing them.

The only issue, and this is the case for most passport places, is that most aren't set up to take photos of infants who don't yet have neck control. It's almost impossible to hold baby upright, keep the neck straight, have them face the camera, and stay out of the picture.

We needed a passport for our son when he was a couple months old, to get him a Nexus card. After trying at both Costco and AMA, we took him to a professional photography place that had a back-lit table. They put our son on the table and took a picture from a ladder. $25 and out in 5 minutes.

The extra money was worth it. Trust me.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4484 posts
2966 upvotes
Staples does passport or citizenship photos for $14.00.
Jul 2, 2021
209 posts
223 upvotes
Vancouver
London Drugs shoots passport photo out in the open (indoors)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5769 posts
4920 upvotes
Oakville, ON
alpovs wrote: Do they do it in small studio rooms or in the open like Costco did? We would rather avoid places of potential infection.
At Shoppers it is actually the Canada Post franchise that does it. The one near us uses an open area just off to the side of the main counter area. It was done in the open, but at least a good 10-15 feet away from the main counter area. I’d imagine though it’ll depend how open or how small/tight the area is based on your local location’s actual store layout. Since YMMV it wouldn’t hurt to make a quick reconnaissance of your local Shoppers with a Post Office to see what you think and how comfortable you’d be in their setup. Also note, your comfort level may vary by how busy the store is overall.
Nov 22, 2017
931 posts
683 upvotes
Go on Kijiji and type in passport photos lots of places that charge about $10 for adults.
Aug 15, 2018
722 posts
581 upvotes
For myself, went to Shoppers. For my 2 months old, we went to the local photography shop as big brands might not be able to do it for young babies.
Mar 8, 2011
8 posts
6 upvotes
Ottawa
I went to shoppers at beginning of July to get photos taken, mailed in completed passport application, 6 weeks later application was returned rejected because of bad shoppers photos, got photos retaken at photoshop, had to wait in line at passport office for 3hrs to get passport, now get passport Aug 31, therefore whole process took 2 months . Moral of the story is go to a photoshop with real photographers rather than cashiers if you can to avoid headache
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1548 posts
940 upvotes
Toronto
Practically every convenience store on Victoria Street does passport photos. And the mask is only off for 30 seconds, it's not that high a risk factor.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4484 posts
2966 upvotes
Extrahard wrote: Go on Kijiji and type in passport photos lots of places that charge about $10 for adults.
I rather pay the extra 4 dollars to have Staples do it for me. Anything wrong with the picture there is plenty of locations and they will redo at no costs if necessary. Kijiji sounds more headaches and grief to save a few dollars.
Images
  • 20210825_115645.jpg
  • 20210825_115711.jpg
  • 20210825_115722.jpg
  • 20210825_120020.jpg