• Dec 17th, 2019 11:35 am
[OP]
Jun 13, 2015
60 posts
8 upvotes
Kingston, ON

Where to take a teen shopping for boxing day in Toronto

Hey all,

I've got my son this year on boxing day and since he's mid teens the whole believing in Santa phase is over and I'm not going to bother putting a tree up since my cats would just tear it apart anyways Unamused Face

So with that being said I'm looking for ideas and suggestions on where I can take him to make this Christmas just as special and memorable for him.

I'll have him either late Christmas evening or early boxing day morning and planned on going to Toronto to the Eaton centre to go shopping but wondering if there's anywhere else to go as we'd be traveling via go train
Last edited by ZeroCool69 on Feb 16th, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9488 posts
1815 upvotes
Toronto
Eaton Centre is a good idea.
There's Hudson Bay/saks 5th across Queen.
Nordstrom Rack at Yonge and Bloor.
Chik Fil a close by:)
Winners at Dundas square and College Park.
Marshall's across from College Park.
Lot's of stores along Yonge between Bloor and Queen.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7005 posts
1356 upvotes
Scarborough
Yeah downtown is good, lots of stores and plenty of good eats. However be ready for it to be very busy though for shopping
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4314 upvotes
Honestly, consider cross border shopping on Boxing Day. It's strange, many Canadians flock over for Black Friday so the border crossings and the malls are rammed there Thursday-Saturday, but the better deals are "after-Christmas" (they don't call it Boxing Day down there). I guess the Canadians are too tired out from the holidays to want to travel that day, but it's worth it if you do.

Hit up the usual suspects (Fashion Outlets, Walmart, Target, Walden Galleria) but also some places that don't get as many Canadian shoppers, like the big box shops near the Boulevard Mall (where you'll also find Trader Joe's and Whole Foods). Ollie's Bargain Outlet is a must for sell-offs/closeouts.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
2017 posts
614 upvotes
Toronto
Yorkdale Shopping Centre as well. You can hop on the subway and it'll take you right to the mall.
Though, late Christmas Day everything will be closed except restaurants and movie theaters.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2957 posts
2851 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If driving and you're uptown i'd go to Vaughn outlet as it'll be cheaper (parking can be a PITA). Yorkdale is always so annoying to find a parking spot but if you go early won't be too bad.

If TTC'ing i'd just go Eatons Centre.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10066 posts
1513 upvotes
If you are downtown, Eatons Centre and/or take TTC then up to Yorkdale.

Otherwise, Vaughan Mills is better.

As long as finds it a day to enjoy and maybe do some shopping, it's all good.

I'd also do some research on maybe some cool places to eat? Toronto has lots of places that may impress him if he likes to eat.
Banned
May 9, 2018
287 posts
114 upvotes
True....boxing day is British historically used by old colonies even in Africa. Also, Watertown and Syracuse (Destiny, NY mall) are other good options.
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Honestly, consider cross border shopping on Boxing Day. It's strange, many Canadians flock over for Black Friday so the border crossings and the malls are rammed there Thursday-Saturday, but the better deals are "after-Christmas" (they don't call it Boxing Day down there). I guess the Canadians are too tired out from the holidays to want to travel that day, but it's worth it if you do.

Hit up the usual suspects (Fashion Outlets, Walmart, Target, Walden Galleria) but also some places that don't get as many Canadian shoppers, like the big box shops near the Boulevard Mall (where you'll also find Trader Joe's and Whole Foods). Ollie's Bargain Outlet is a must for sell-offs/closeouts.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6070 posts
3145 upvotes
Mississauga
Be careful about entertaining a trip to Buffalo. Not sure how it works with divorced families but technically a letter from the non-travelling parent is needed allowing you to take your son across the border.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2320 upvotes
Mississauga
My vote Vaughan Mills. He will love Bass Pro.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3151 posts
793 upvotes
Vaughan
I don't know how it is in Kingston, but in the GTA and Toronto. Everything is jam packed on boxing day. Be prepared to wait in lines with pretty much everything you do. I'd advise not come to Toronto on such a busy day. I'd pick another day. Stay home, play some xbox/ps4, go watch a movie (locally). Do online shopping, forget the malls.

As for things to do with your son, if you really must come. Maybe the Aquarium, or The Rec Room.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4403 posts
412 upvotes
No where.

Do your shopping online and save yourself from the insanity!

But if you insist, Eaton Centre and Yorkdale. Vaughn Mills if you want to leave the city. All 3 are ttc-able at least.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5380 posts
2467 upvotes
gulfstream
your journey just to enter and park at Yorkdale will take almost an hour..just give him the cash instead and save yourself the time and headache...no REAL deals anymore ..and if any, they are online these days
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1155 upvotes
If you want deals, I think you can find more options and savings shopping online. The market has changed so much. I remember I used to line up in the bitter cold to get a TV. Nowadays, I don't even bother.

I guess you are going more for the experience with your son. In that case, you can't go wrong going downtown. Lots of food options which in my opinion is the more attractive reason to go. If taking public transit though, then don't buy too much as you have to think about how to get it home. I don't imagine you want to carry a lot of stuff while walking in the Toronto winter.