Food & Drink

Where in Toronto I can buy non-preserved lemon juice or a good alternative for one?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2009 1:21 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2173 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto

Where in Toronto I can buy non-preserved lemon juice or a good alternative for one?

The title pretty much says it all. I'm looking for the store that sells fresh lemon juice (preferably) or a really good alternative (like good quality concentrated lemon juice or from concentrates).
If you have an exact brand, pricing info, or even a picture of the product - I'd like to see that.

Scarborough, North York, and Toronto would be most convenient.

So far I've looked at Food Basics, No Frills, Price Chopper and Walmart - didn't find anything. Or maybe I was simply looking in the wrong places :?:

EDIT: My goal is not to find a way to make the lemon juice - it's to find it in the stores so that I can have it for the long run without any hassles.

Thanks.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19793 posts
4386 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Why don't you just get a juicer and some lemons?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Jan 30, 2008
112 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
No kidding. If you go to the store, it won't be freshly squeezed, now will it?

I think what maybe you mean is non-preserved lemon juice. Never seen it myself. It is usually pretty cheap to just keep a few lemons in the fridge at all times and a cheap-ass manual lemon-juicer. I do this all the time, so nice to have fresh lemon juice for food etc.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2173 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote: Why don't you just get a juicer and some lemons?
Smokey Bear wrote: No kidding. If you go to the store, it won't be freshly squeezed, now will it?

I think what maybe you mean is non-preserved lemon juice. Never seen it myself. It is usually pretty cheap to just keep a few lemons in the fridge at all times and a cheap-ass manual lemon-juicer. I do this all the time, so nice to have fresh lemon juice for food etc.
That's close enough. I want to see if there're other alternatives to having to do it myself - for events when I don't have time to squeeze it myself and wash the machine afterwards. Beside - there's apple juice, there's orange juice, carrot, etc. - and it's much easier and convenient to buy a ready product than keep those fruits and veggies in the fridge and do all the work yourself.

Anyway... Did anybody have luck seeing the lemon juice in the stores?
Deal Addict
May 31, 2002
1079 posts
How about an electric orange/lemon juicer? Much faster than hand, especially for large quantities.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2003
3706 posts
11 upvotes
squeeze lemon juice, put into ice cube tray then once it's frozen put into a bag in freezer and viola you have instant non-preserved lemon juice on demand
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2173 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
More answers? Again - I'm actually looking to buy ready juice rather than go through the hassle of making it.

By "a good alternative" I didn't mean to make it myself but I meant the closest thing to the fresh lemon juice that's also reasonably priced.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
3286 posts
42 upvotes
Ottawa
hasn't there been some sort of recent global lemon shortage? not kidding.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
294 upvotes
Midland
I don't even know what preserved lemon juice is. :confused:
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Nov 30, 2006
323 posts
preserved lemon juice im guessing is juice from concentrate, or if not from concentrate, preservatives would be added to maintain shelf life. otherwise freezing squeezed lemon juice could go bad within a month or so (i think)

if you want fresh then the only way is to make your own lemon juice. there is no fresh lemon juice product with no added preservatives because of shelf life.

never tried it myself, but i suggest maybe getting a juicer like others have suggested and a whole lot of lemons. spend the time and juice it all. then freeze most of it so you have a long supply.
Nov 9, 2007
339 posts
154 upvotes
Scarborough
The yellow ones above are sold less often now. Actually, I haven't seen them sold in that packaging except in a non-branded dollar store version.

You're looking for Real Lemon Juice.
It has the same acidity as a standard lemon, so u can use it in recipes etc.

[IMG]http://keysplashcreative.com/wp-content ... -lemon.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/ ... 176643.jpg[/IMG]

Basically looks like that, its available in ALL major grocery stores, SERIOUSLY. In various sizes, I keep a bottle in my fridge for quick lemonades and stuff. Claims the equivalent of 21 lemons in that bottle, but its more like 12 really juice fresh lemons =)

Look in the tea/honey/sweetener/juice sections.

For the hassle/trouble of keeping fresh lemons, its worth it. However, as a chef, I always keep fresh ones stocked.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)