Travel

Locked: Where are we allowed to travel to?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2020 1:21 pm
[OP]
Jul 30, 2008
894 posts
38 upvotes

Where are we allowed to travel to?

Looking to go on vacation. I'm curious about where/how I can figure out which countries are allowing Canadians to come for non-essential personal vacations. And also, whether Canada is allowing Canadians to leave the country (or if they are restricting which countries to go to)? Does anyone have links? The only thing I know for sure is that Trudeau has said no US travel until at least July 21st - while I can't find that written anywhere, I will assume that's true (and I frankly do not want to go to the US anyway).

I would ask that we please skip over whether it's a good idea or not to get on a flight - let's please leave that for another thread. I'm just trying to figure out the facts of where I have the right to travel to, and how I would go about doing it. I haven't had luck finding any definitive answers on official websites that I've searched.

Thank you
Share:
151 replies
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2004
5280 posts
1280 upvotes
Toronto
Here's an official list:

https://time-to-travel.ca/

A few caribbean islands, the US, Mexico, etc.

That being said, on July 1st, virtually all of europe should reopen to Canadians as well. AC and Westjet are both restarting flights to european destinations in July.
[OP]
Jul 30, 2008
894 posts
38 upvotes
This is very handy! Any idea how trustworthy this site is, though?
Oct 6, 2008
166 posts
118 upvotes
Winnipeg
My concern with travelling out of country would be medical insurance. Not sure if anyone would cover any COVID related expenses.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1945 posts
546 upvotes
Toronto
Still a 14 day quarantine when you get back...
Jun 12, 2008
981 posts
426 upvotes
Ripley
I agree - medical insurance would be a major concern.

And the mandatory 14 day quarantine when you arrive home. And remember that means you don't leave your property. No going out for any reason including getting your groceries.

You can travel to the US, you just can't drive there. And some individual states require a 14 day quarantine when you arrive.
Penalty Box
Apr 4, 2017
470 posts
360 upvotes
cardle wrote: Still a 14 day quarantine when you get back...
Is that still being enforced? I've been hearing many stories of people just going about their days while on "quarantine", with no verification. Can anyone who has been through this confirm?
Temp. Banned
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes
zeddy wrote: I agree - medical insurance would be a major concern.

And the mandatory 14 day quarantine when you arrive home. And remember that means you don't leave your property. No going out for any reason including getting your groceries.

You can travel to the US, you just can't drive there. And some individual states require a 14 day quarantine when you arrive.
I don't really care about the medical insurance part. I've travelled all over the world and never used mine. The few times I had to see a doctor, I paid out of my pocket since it was so cheap.

The quarantine rule needs to be re-examined though. It's completely nonsensical that if I go to Iceland where they have very few cases, I have to quarantine for 14 days but I can drive to Montreal or Toronto (or even Windsor) every weekend and I'm good to go.
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2004
5280 posts
1280 upvotes
Toronto
FYI the 14 day quarantine order is scheduled to end tonight at midnight (june 30th), and there is no word on whether or not it will be extended.

Fingers crossed they will just quietly let it lapse and we get a bit of our freedom back.
Jun 23, 2005
244 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
gei wrote: FYI the 14 day quarantine order is scheduled to end tonight at midnight (june 30th), and there is no word on whether or not it will be extended.

Fingers crossed they will just quietly let it lapse and we get a bit of our freedom back.
Now when it ends and I fly into the USA and back would I still need to quarantine?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2327 posts
713 upvotes
gei wrote: FYI the 14 day quarantine order is scheduled to end tonight at midnight (june 30th), and there is no word on whether or not it will be extended.

It will be extended which is a good thing with cases rising in many parts of the world.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/quaran ... -1.5631731
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2004
5280 posts
1280 upvotes
Toronto
Bah.. what a nuisance.

Hopefully they are at least somewhat reasonable and allow exceptions for certain countries like the EU is doing.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15458 posts
4607 upvotes
London
mcbg1 wrote: I don't really care about the medical insurance part. I've travelled all over the world and never used mine. The few times I had to see a doctor, I paid out of my pocket since it was so cheap. ...
Yea, cheap medical fees like the Kitchener guy who had a bad migraine in Thailand. He went to a hospital and discovered he had brain cancer. The air ambulance flight back to Canada was only $265K

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews ... -dies/amp/
Temp. Banned
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Yea, cheap medical fees like the Kitchener guy who had a bad migraine in Thailand, went to a hospital discovered he had brain cancer. The air ambulance flight back to Canada was only $265K

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews ... -dies/amp/
if anything, that makes me want to travel MORE. Life is short, go and do whatever you want to do ASAP. Might be your turn tomorrow to go meet your maker.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1945 posts
546 upvotes
Toronto
New Zealand is looking at paid 14 days quarantine/managed isolation for people leaving the country and then coming back. Also opening the borders is "frankly dangerous".

I'm starting to think more and more Canada is going to very similar in their approach to New Zealand but it is like getting a blood out of stone compared to open New Zealand is - you may not agree with everything they are doing but at least you know where you stand.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12344285

This morning Ardern said that the Government was considering changing the law to ensure Kiwis heading overseas on holiday have to pay for 14 days' quarantine or managed isolation on their return.

To the end of June, the Government has estimated it would spend $81 million on moving 21,500 Kiwis through border facilities - at an average of $3800 per person.

"We wouldn't be making it illegal to return," Ardern said.

"It's whether or not we can impose a cost to make that happen. This is the question we're asking - is there a difference between a New Zealander returning versus a New Zealander choosing to leave and then returning?"

That was the same question the Government was seeking an answer for as it considers co-payments for Kiwis in quarantine or managed isolation, which is being implemented in Queensland.