Shopping Discussion

Where are you buying contact lenses now?

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2020 10:17 pm

Poll: Where are you buying contact lenses now?

• Total votes: 10. You have voted on this poll.
Your optician

20%
Clearly.ca

40%
Walmart

0%
Costco

20%
Not wearing at all during pandemic

20%
[OP]
Nov 15, 2006
572 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto

Where are you buying contact lenses now?

Pandemic Statistics
10 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15408 posts
16499 upvotes
Oakville
Still buying from clearly.ca I use them so rarely now that I buy less than once a year. I use the 2 week lenses for about a month's worth of wear. Mostly sports and sunny days.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1747 posts
539 upvotes
Edmonton
Like 4 years ago, I bought online with coupons because my optician was too expensive...

Nowadays the optometrist’s office is like the cheapest price I can find.

Online is super overpriced for contacts, especially at regular price.

With the extra support that comes from an optometrist’s office all while being the cheapest, it’s a no brainer to me.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9663 posts
11395 upvotes
Vancouver
tablo13 wrote: Nowadays the optometrist’s office is like the cheapest price I can find.
Online is super overpriced for contacts, especially at regular price.
This. So many people only look at the big online places because they believe they'll naturally be cheaper than any local B&M place. That's exactly what the big online places want you to think, of course.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15408 posts
16499 upvotes
Oakville
Kiraly wrote: This. So many people only look at the big online places because they believe they'll naturally be cheaper than any local B&M place. That's exactly what the big online places want you to think, of course.
I haven't bought B&M glasses in a while, but they were $200+ last time, while online is $40-80.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2191 posts
445 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
Costco is still letting you order if you have a valid prescription on file with them. They have one person still working the optical dept.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1747 posts
539 upvotes
Edmonton
engineered wrote: I haven't bought B&M glasses in a while, but they were $200+ last time, while online is $40-80.
Glasses are a bit of a different story, quality will widely vary due to it being different brands and therefore cheaper. Contact lenses are made by the same 5 or so manufacturers worldwide. Everyone should be comparing prices with their local optician and what online stores cost you in the total (fees and shipping). Optometrist offices have gotten more competitive with their contact lenses pricing these days, and online stores have gotten overpriced with fewer and fewer coupons, I find. Even for online, Clearly was always one of the more expensive ones.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4565 upvotes
Alberta
I used to wear contacts and glasses. Got laser surgery, best thing ever.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1747 posts
539 upvotes
Edmonton
jackrabbit000 wrote: I used to wear contacts and glasses. Got laser surgery, best thing ever.
I know that is an option but never will be a good option for me.

I know the risk of adverse side effects is extremely low, but if it happens, there is absolutely no way out except suicide. It's not like a re-surgery can fix things. There have been multiple stories where a laser surgery patient would commit suicide after adverse effects, or go back and attack the surgeon who did the surgery. The risk is simply too high. Wearing glasses and contacts do not bother me badly enough that I would be risking a surgery.