Shopping Discussion

Locked: Where are you getting face masks from?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2020 1:26 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
May 23, 2020
122 posts
46 upvotes

Where are you getting face masks from?

I’ve noticed that quite a few people had face masks (not cloth face masks). My question is where do people find these from?
Share:
19 replies
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2013
679 posts
265 upvotes
London Drugs has them now. Box of 50s for $40plus. Plenty of stock, one entire shelf full of boxes of masks.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4018 posts
1615 upvotes
Costco
Member
Feb 6, 2011
208 posts
40 upvotes
Rexall from Formedica $11.99 + Tax for 10 's
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2002
3602 posts
2326 upvotes
Vancouver
China direct
Newbie
Nov 20, 2006
3 posts
2 upvotes
Staples 50 for 34.99, showcase 50 for 49.99
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
13664 posts
7801 upvotes
Toronto
Driverbe wrote: I’ve noticed that quite a few people had face masks (not cloth face masks). My question is where do people find these from?
from this 50 page thread:

where-find-masks-2349945/
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15481 posts
12675 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Still don’t know why anyone would be buying these disposable masks

1- They are still needed by people in the medical field ... who require a DISPOSABLE (non fabric) mask for their job.
And there are still some shortages for that group

2- They are EXPENSIVE ... due to the shortage ... and higher demand
Something that used to sell for pennies on the dollar ... is now getting $ 2+ each mask
(Some places even $ 4+ a mask)

All the more reason that they should be left for Medical personnel

3- Cloth REUSABLE Masks are fine. They are just as good against Covid as any NON DISPOSABLE surgical style mask
WHEN IT COMES TO COVID
Cuz the ONLY mask that is truly any defence to the wearer ... is an N95 Medical Mask with a face shield
And those are what Medical personnel wear

Gonna wear a mask ... just buy a cloth one
Lots of sources now online
Wear it & Wash it ... and wear it again
Tons cheaper in the long run.
Cloth masks can be got for around $ 10
Or ... make your own ... relatively easy if anyone sews
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1354 posts
1128 upvotes
Ottawa
PointsHubby wrote: Gonna wear a mask ... just buy a cloth one
Lots of sources now online
Wear it & Wash it ... and wear it again
Tons cheaper in the long run.
Cloth masks can be got for around $ 10
Or ... make your own ... relatively easy if anyone sews
Or do some (digital) asking around in your community.

There's a group in Ottawa run by volunteers using donated materials who are sewing and providing free non-medical cloth face masks to anyone who asks. Their main stipulation is a 1 per person limit, and they have volunteers across the city doing the sewing. I received mine via porch pickup from a volunteer within walking distance. I found the volunteer group through my community's Facebook group.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 15, 2001
3133 posts
815 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Still don’t know why anyone would be buying these disposable masks

1- They are still needed by people in the medical field ... who require a DISPOSABLE (non fabric) mask for their job.
And there are still some shortages for that group

2- They are EXPENSIVE ... due to the shortage ... and higher demand
Something that used to sell for pennies on the dollar ... is now getting $ 2+ each mask
(Some places even $ 4+ a mask)

All the more reason that they should be left for Medical personnel

3- Cloth REUSABLE Masks are fine. They are just as good against Covid as any NON DISPOSABLE surgical style mask
WHEN IT COMES TO COVID
Cuz the ONLY mask that is truly any defence to the wearer ... is an N95 Medical Mask with a face shield
And those are what Medical personnel wear

Gonna wear a mask ... just buy a cloth one
Lots of sources now online
Wear it & Wash it ... and wear it again
Tons cheaper in the long run.
Cloth masks can be got for around $ 10
Or ... make your own ... relatively easy if anyone sews
Costco, London Drug, Rexall and T&T are all selling "disposable mask" that aren't medical grade. On some of the boxes I've seen it'll actually say "not for medical use".

Not that they are any less effective, just that they are not certified or graded, but good enough for general public to use. However, hospitals will never order or use these themselves for liability reasons.

I have an expired box of surgical mask, pre-covid, that have Barrier Level Rating, ASTM rating on the box and Actual Test Data on manufacture's website. These are what hospitals use and are short off. And most of these manufactures/suppliers who make qualified medical grade mask are already self regulating, by only selling to the medical community.
Last edited by GSXXRR on May 27th, 2020 11:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
13664 posts
7801 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Still don’t know why anyone would be buying these disposable masks

1- They are still needed by people in the medical field ... who require a DISPOSABLE (non fabric) mask for their job.
And there are still some shortages for that group
The Costco ones clearly state they are NOT a medical device
52B04055-3642-465C-9FAE-5458FCD467E0.jpeg
8EBC2CB0-353D-478D-B25C-C0665625A110.jpeg
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15481 posts
12675 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
GSXXRR wrote:
Costco, London Drug, Rexall and T&T are all selling "disposable mask" that aren't medical grade. On some of the boxes I've seen it'll actually say "not for medical use".

Not that they are any less effective, just that they are not certified or graded, but good enough for general public to use. However, hospitals will never order or use these themselves for liability reasons.

I have an expired box of surgical mask, pre-covid, that have Barrier Level Rating, ASTM rating on the box and Actual Test Data on manufacture's website. These are what hospitals use and are short off. And most of these manufactures/suppliers who make qualified medical grade mask are already self regulating, by only selling to the medical community.
Swerny wrote: The Costco ones clearly state they are NOT a medical device

52B04055-3642-465C-9FAE-5458FCD467E0.jpeg8EBC2CB0-353D-478D-B25C-C0665625A110.jpeg
Thanks guys ... good to know

I was not aware that some of the disposable masks on the market were NOT MEDICAL GRADE

Still though ... vs a cloth mask they are expensive ... no ?

A box of 50 you pay how much for ?
Use & toss

Versus around $ 10 to $ 20 for a cloth one you can wear, wash & rewear endless times
(Price here fluctuates depending on style, construction, 2 layer vs 3 layer, if there’s a filter pocket ... one can spend even more than $ 20 if you want something more fashionable as far as prints, sports teams etc)

But more economical ... Afterall this is RFD
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Newbie
Dec 29, 2013
93 posts
42 upvotes
Are these non-medical grade face mask better in terms of protection than the cloth ones? I am seeing a lot of people wearing them. Are they just being used to give you a false sense of protection?
Newbie
Sep 12, 2013
76 posts
54 upvotes
Markham
My sister owns a dog grooming spa and she is able to order from a canada manufacturing company level 3 surgical mask for 45 a box

Try not to order from china if possible, heard some of the masks are sketchy
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 12, 2006
2286 posts
474 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
A friend of a friend is selling reusable ones https://debsbags.ca/collections/fashion ... sks?page=1

Old Navy is selling them now too https://oldnavy.gapcanada.ca/browse/cat ... id=1157699

Myself, I bought up a bunch of boxes of disposable ones from friend's family members tattoo shop. His business is obviously closed now, and it helped him make some money. He had medical exam gloves, the ones you would see in your doctor's office, Curad brand, I bought those up from him too and donated them. He was very thankful to have some money back in his pocket.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1585 posts
733 upvotes
Canada
Swerny wrote: The Costco ones clearly state they are NOT a medical device

52B04055-3642-465C-9FAE-5458FCD467E0.jpeg8EBC2CB0-353D-478D-B25C-C0665625A110.jpeg
Masks (for medical use) are regulated as a Class I Medical Device by Health Canada and requires a license to import them into Canada. The marking is there to avoid CBSA/Health Canada scrutiny.
https://www.livingstonintl.com/health-c ... anitizers/
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
1857 posts
1839 upvotes
GTA
MadMonday wrote: Are these non-medical grade face mask better in terms of protection than the cloth ones? I am seeing a lot of people wearing them. Are they just being used to give you a false sense of protection?
The point of non N95 masks like those sold in Costco is to protect others from your droplets. It keeps your spray to yourself. So if everyone was wearing one the overall risk is reduced. They are not about preventing you directly from catching the virus.

Alberta recently randomly tested people without symptoms and found 50 tested positive. So there are people out there infected and don't even know it. If they wore a mask that would be good for everyone.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3922 posts
1910 upvotes
People in our hobbit make cloth ones and give them away for free.
Moderator
May 28, 2012
11148 posts
3280 upvotes
Saskatoon
You can continue the discussion in this thread in the Request A Deal forum.

Top