Fitness and Nutrition

Whey Protein Supplements--Buyer's Guide

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2021 5:25 pm
Nov 20, 2014
234 posts
71 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Gonna sub to this thread as I would have totally bought this protein at $125. I dont really need anymore right now as I still have about 10 lbs of some Myprotein Isolate left over! Which one of the two is better in your opinion chocolate or vanilla? Thanks for your efforts.
anatman wrote: Revolution Nutrition Bulk Whey Protein Isolate is currently at $125 which is my personal insta-buy price. You can get a further 10% off with the code REVO10 and a free shaker bottle with the code SHAKER. Plus it's just $5 for shipping.

revolution-nutrition-revolution-nutriti ... e-2418349/

(Thinking of adding a post to keep track of historic protein deals for Kaizen, MyProtein, and Revolution-Nutrition, allowing people to get an idea for usual sale price values and sale frequency/dates so they can plan accordingly)
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1963 posts
372 upvotes
Ottawa
  • Vanilla is always the best bet IMO as you can mix with anything you add in. While Chocolate has more flavour it doesn't go well with certain fruits IMO,
  • I usually use 1 cup of almond milk, add 175 grams of Coscto greek yogurt and some frozen berries to give me about 50 grams of protein per container and is like a milkshake.
  • The free shaker does not t have a ball. I have always stuck with Avex/Contigo shakers as they have curved bottom and easy to clean. However, I use a blender to mix (especially the frozen berries) and don't have to worry about protein clumps
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to feel smart - get stupid freinds...
Nov 29, 2020
11 posts
2 upvotes
Lumber-jack wrote:
  • Vanilla is always the best bet IMO as you can mix with anything you add in. While Chocolate has more flavour it doesn't go well with certain fruits IMO,
  • I usually use 1 cup of almond milk, add 175 grams of Coscto greek yogurt and some frozen berries to give me about 50 grams of protein per container and is like a milkshake.
  • The free shaker does not t have a ball. I have always stuck with Avex/Contigo shakers as they have curved bottom and easy to clean. However, I use a blender to mix (especially the frozen berries) and don't have to worry about protein clumps
Thanks for the details
Nov 20, 2014
234 posts
71 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
FYI for those of you subbed to this thread, Revo Nutrition is having a buy one get one deal for their High Whey blended protein (non iso). Looks to be at a pretty good price point. If you order 4 6 Lb buckets and you get a 1.7 lb dessert whey bucket for free. Its $129.98 before taxes but the REVO10 code and SHAKER code work too, so it came out to $132.18 in Ontario. Before I send it... I dont need to worry about this protein right? I dont think that it is amino spiked or anything, I have heard good things about this company.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3384 posts
5057 upvotes
SizableSac wrote: FYI for those of you subbed to this thread, Revo Nutrition is having a buy one get one deal for their High Whey blended protein (non iso). Looks to be at a pretty good price point. If you order 4 6 Lb buckets and you get a 1.7 lb dessert whey bucket for free. Its $129.98 before taxes but the REVO10 code and SHAKER code work too, so it came out to $132.18 in Ontario. Before I send it... I dont need to worry about this protein right? I dont think that it is amino spiked or anything, I have heard good things about this company.
Price isn't everything. Have you looked at their ingredient profile and protein content? Revolution is garbage.

High Whey is 25g protein for a 37g scoop. That's 67.5% protein. That's terrible. Standard whey concentrates are ~80%. 67.5% is horribly low.
Whey protein concentrate obtained from a cross-flow microfiltration process, whey protein isolate, cocoa (select flavours), digestive enzymes (proteases, bromelain, lactase) natural flavours, guar gum, stevia, sucralose.
I don't know what else is in it, but this says it's a blend of concentrate and isolate. Blending in an isolate should boost protein content, but it STILL has way less than a standard concentrate. What else are they fluffing it up with because there sure isn't much protein.
Nov 20, 2014
234 posts
71 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Caerus wrote: Price isn't everything. Have you looked at their ingredient profile and protein content? Revolution is garbage.

High Whey is 25g protein for a 37g scoop. That's 67.5% protein. That's terrible. Standard whey concentrates are ~80%. 67.5% is horribly low.

I don't know what else is in it, but this says it's a blend of concentrate and isolate. Blending in an isolate should boost protein content, but it STILL has way less than a standard concentrate. What else are they fluffing it up with because there sure isn't much protein.
Good thing I asked then! I typically just buy isolate, but does it really matter if I am still getting 25g of protein per scoop? Its just that the rest of the scoop is the flavoring/fillers. I may have to cancel my order now lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3384 posts
5057 upvotes
SizableSac wrote: Good thing I asked then! I typically just buy isolate, but does it really matter if I am still getting 25g of protein per scoop? Its just that the rest of the scoop is the flavoring/fillers. I may have to cancel my order now lol.
Well yeah, technically you're still getting 25g. It's just there's so much extra crap in there that you're ingesting to get it. Kind of defeats the purpose of a protein supplement if you have to take huge scoops of random filler just to get that amount of protein.

Looking at the overall number, you're getting 25.7lbs in your order. Of that, 17.3lbs is actual protein. More than 8lbs of that is filler.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1963 posts
372 upvotes
Ottawa
I usually purchase Canadian Protein concentrate but purchased Revolution isolate this time as it is much better value IMO when comparing to CP concentrate or isolate to Rev isolate. Revolution concentrate doesn't provide any value IMO and wouldn't choose.

I don't think any protein really matters more than genetics, the work one puts in the gym and the food lifestyle they choose. Protein choice/cost is like saying which oil is better for your motorcycle...
Caerus wrote: Well yeah, technically you're still getting 25g. It's just there's so much extra crap in there that you're ingesting to get it. Kind of defeats the purpose of a protein supplement if you have to take huge scoops of random filler just to get that amount of protein.

Looking at the overall number, you're getting 25.7lbs in your order. Of that, 17.3lbs is actual protein. More than 8lbs of that is filler.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to feel smart - get stupid freinds...
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3384 posts
5057 upvotes
Lumber-jack wrote: I usually purchase Canadian Protein concentrate but purchased Revolution isolate this time as it is much better value IMO when comparing to CP concentrate or isolate to Rev isolate. Revolution concentrate doesn't provide any value IMO and wouldn't choose.

I don't think any protein really matters more than genetics, the work one puts in the gym and the food lifestyle they choose. Protein choice/cost is like saying which oil is better for your motorcycle...
I'm going to leave genetics out of this and focus on the discussed product at hand. For simplicity sake, let's assume that the people on this sub forum here know what they're doing fitness wise and general diet. That way the discussion stays on supplementation quality and not on a person's effort, or dna.

I myself am a Phys Ed teacher. So other than physical/mental health, I tend to focus on proper nutrition as well. I don't buy concentrates generally because I'm lactose intolerant, so I'll go with isolates, or a vegan blend. I'll also stay away from isolates that include digestive enzymes to circumvent digestive issues their powders may cause. That's a red flag for me as well. I don't believe you should be adding in digestive aids just so that your body can process their powders without having stomach issues.

So with that in mind, I don't really agree with the analogy of comparing protein choice to simply stating which oil to use. At least with vehicle oils there's a regulated standard. All 5w30s for example will perform to a set standard. There are also specification requirements based on vehicle manufacturer, etc. If you focus just on the grams of protein, but disregard the rest of the crap in the supplement, sure you're getting your desired grams per scoop. But you're brushing off the rest of the unhealthy garbage potentially being included in that powder, as kind of no big deal. I think you should look at a supplement from the perspective of everything in it, rather than just 1 single ingredient. But that's just me.

So I think protein choice is important if you're choosing one as a supplement. There are big differences in terms of source quality, ingredient profiles, added fillers, type and amount of sweeteners, even if it's been potentially protein spiked... Which has been the case in the past with some products. Quality control is nowhere close to the same as an engine oil for example. Even just comparing concentrate to concentrate there are big differences. The fact that the Rev concentrate is actually a concentrate/isolate blend, but still ends up having 12 - 13% lower protein than your average non-blended concentrate tells you something about the quality of Rev. Since blending in an isolate is supposed to boost protein content over a regular concentrate alone. Instead I see it as they did it to include even less protein, but boost that low amount up a bit percentage wise by including a little isolate.
Apr 20, 2015
403 posts
94 upvotes
Bolton, ON
any updates to this thread?

I used to buy ON 100% Gold Standard Whey back in the day and now getting back into home gym life. Always found ON to mix well and taste great.... any recommendations on similar/better for the price?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2014
1080 posts
739 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Hello friends! I have severe nutrition limitations. I can't tolerate wheat, soy, most spices (cocoa, cinnamon, etc) many other things. <25mg is enough to cause a reaction. I am looking for a pure protein powder to avoid issues. Luckily I am ok with dairy products.

Revolution Nutrition vanilla isolate was great... but have since switched to soy lecithin so I can no longer use it. I'm happy my-protein.com is going soy free... But most of their products still say that that MAY contain soy. They also claim GF but say that the products are made in a place that processes wheat. Not terribly reassuring. "The Whey" looks like it might be cleaner but that may just be the marketing...

Can anyone make recommendations keeping the above in mind?
Apr 24, 2013
707 posts
419 upvotes
Waterloo
Canadian protein New Zealand whey is probably the healthiest whey powder on the market and fits your needs if you buy the flavorless version
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3118 posts
590 upvotes
Toronto
nimfomanijak wrote: Canadian protein New Zealand whey is probably the healthiest whey powder on the market and fits your needs if you buy the flavorless version
What makes it the healthiest whey powder?
Apr 24, 2013
707 posts
419 upvotes
Waterloo
trane0 wrote: What makes it the healthiest whey powder?
If we go by the assumption that they are telling the truth, they are selling New Zealand whey, which comes from cows that only grass fed.
Also, they only have stevia as a sweetner which is an additional plus

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)