Deal Addict
May 8, 2003
1595 posts
5627 upvotes
Toronto

White Spot's Triple O's to open in Ontario in 2021

https://www.retail-insider.com/retail-i ... -in-canada

https://www.tripleos.com/

"It’s the same high-quality products we have at White Spot but this one’s all about burgers, fries and shakes."

"we’ve got sites already in Vaughan and in Mississauga already lined up for February and March opening for next year.”

4 locations for Ontario in the next 12 months.

White Spot currently has 64 full-service restaurants in British Columbia and Alberta. There are 70 Triple O’s locations in B.C., Alberta, and Asia.

RFDers familiar with this chain...is this something to look forward to in the GTA?
14 replies
Jun 11, 2010
123 posts
92 upvotes
Halifax
growing up in bc, I miss white spot living on the east coast. I used to love the burger and pie deals for cheap and the pirate packs when i was a kid. Haven't had it in years so i'm not sure if it's still the same.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35449 posts
9469 upvotes
Ottawa
steva11 wrote: growing up in bc, I miss white spot living on the east coast. I used to love the burger and pie deals for cheap and the pirate packs when i was a kid. Haven't had it in years so i'm not sure if it's still the same.
Me too. Every time I go out to Vancouver one of the go to's is visiting a White Spot.
Used to be one at the airport so it was often the last meal in Vancouver. LOL. last time there they were renovating the airport and the White Spot was closed so I don't know if it is going to be back.
Having said that, everyone has a childhood memory of a place and this not work in Ontario, especially in the GTA where there are literally thousands of burger joints all claiming to be the best.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Mar 25, 2009
99 posts
67 upvotes
Scarborough
They have these around Hong Kong.

For a city where it is hard to get an affordable burger that isn't garbage, Triple O's was always a solid option.

However, in Toronto burgers are pretty good everywhere and what is affordable in Hong Kong ( $10+ CAD per burger) may be too high a price point here to compete.

Hope they succeed but hard to see a new burger chain succeeding here without a unique differentiation from competition and value proposition.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1361 posts
832 upvotes
The full service is another one of the various sit downs like Pickle Barrel / Jack Astor (resto side, not the bar) etc. It's better quality, as they do tend to cook more of the items, rather than McSysco reheat and serve. The burgers come with their "sauce", that I usually skip as it's too sweet. Their shakes are good, and come in a huge portion.

The Triple O's is the fast food concept that limits the menu to burger and shakes. Given the proliferation of those places in the GTA, it will be an interesting entry to market.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5533 posts
1167 upvotes
It's too bad they chose locations in the middle of no where to launch.

this is often the failure point for a lot of chains trying to break through to the mass market Toronto.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1361 posts
832 upvotes
milolai wrote: It's too bad they chose locations in the middle of no where to launch.

this is often the failure point for a lot of chains trying to break through to the mass market Toronto.
York region, population 1.1 million people. Peel region, population 1.4 million people. Hardly in the middle of nowhere. If you look at most restaurants reach is locals, with some hype related traffic in the opening months, their approach makes sense.

Also if as @dotdot23 says, the chain is familiar in HK, then they are closer to a demographic that is familiar with them as opposed to Toronto proper, where most have never heard of them.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1361 posts
832 upvotes
BTW, for those that have tried Fresh Burger, White Spot's (Triple O's) burger is a dead ringer, including the sauce and the claim for the fries.

"From 100% fresh Canadian beef to our signature Kennebec fries made with the best french-frying potato out there,"

Now, Fresh Burger has the advantage of being artisanal, for now. I can tell you, FB's fries are the real deal. It's not just the potatoes that makes the fries. There is a technique and knowledge of handling the variations in moisture, starch and sugars in potatoes that lead to great fries, and FB knows how to make them.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2834 posts
210 upvotes
"About damn time" is all I am going to say.
I post, you decide.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10767 posts
3313 upvotes
If Covid-19 is still in play this will not likely happen.

Let's all hope it's a go!
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4461 posts
3045 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
my0gr81 wrote: York region, population 1.1 million people. Peel region, population 1.4 million people. Hardly in the middle of nowhere. If you look at most restaurants reach is locals, with some hype related traffic in the opening months, their approach makes sense.

Also if as @dotdot23 says, the chain is familiar in HK, then they are closer to a demographic that is familiar with them as opposed to Toronto proper, where most have never heard of them.
Man, I guess centre of the universe really only means Toronto proper. Screw the rest of the outlying cities LOL.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4316 posts
3849 upvotes
bomber17 wrote: Man, I guess centre of the universe really only means Toronto proper. Screw the rest of the outlying cities LOL.
As this "downtown snob's map" suggests:

https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/01/som ... -universe/
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Mar 16, 2009
176 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
milolai wrote: It's too bad they chose locations in the middle of no where to launch.
Yep, spoken like a true downtown elitist.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35449 posts
9469 upvotes
Ottawa
my0gr81 wrote: BTW, for those that have tried Fresh Burger, White Spot's (Triple O's) burger is a dead ringer, including the sauce and the claim for the fries.

I think it is the other way around LOL.
"for those that have tried White Spot, (Triple O's), Fresh Burger's burger is a dead ringer," because White Spot has been around for over 90 years. :)
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
May 21, 2015
801 posts
378 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I grew up in my late teens and 20's hitting white spots all over Vancouver BBy and new west. That was when they had car service though I'm not sure if they still do it's been 30 years or so. I liked the triple O burgers and shakes, definitely a step up from Big Macs and Quarter pounds . The food trays were not the typical one side hang on the drivers window type, they were long trays narrow trays about 6 feet that the car hop (always males at the time, in a green uniform) would slide thru the driers window and it would click over the passengers window as well so you sat eating with tray in front of you.. Of course that meant you couldn't open either door . If they keep the burgers, fries and shakes like they used to be then I think they could probably make a go of it.. I'd love to have some now But as everyone know there are so many competing burger joints these days.. For a chain style burger /diner/eat in your car even better