Scammers and Warnings

White van scam in Markham

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2021 12:49 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 13, 2013
61 posts
15 upvotes
TORONTO

White van scam in Markham

I got scammed yesterday by these 2 individuals claiming to receive extra home theater equipment by accident at home depot parking lot at Highway 7 and Woodbine. I sucker into it because they showed me the website https://www.fioranoprojectors.com/ and the retail value on the box and its brand new with all the packaging. I feel so stupid to fall for it. I did file a police report but doesn't look like it'll do much after doing some research these 2 guys been pulling this scam for long time and never caught. Hard lesson learned.
35 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6082 posts
5789 upvotes
orian11 wrote: I got scammed yesterday by these 2 individuals claiming to receive extra home theater equipment by accident at home depot parking lot at Highway 7 and Woodbine. I sucker into it because they showed me the website https://www.fioranoprojectors.com/ and the retail value on the box and its brand new with all the packaging. I feel so stupid to fall for it. I did file a police report but doesn't look like it'll do much after doing some research these 2 guys been pulling this scam for long time and never caught. Hard lesson learned.
Ouch. Just curious, how much did they ask for and how much did you pay?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
5890 posts
6962 upvotes
The NORTH
Sorry you got scammed but always remember, if it's too good to be true, it ALWAYS is!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3763 posts
2011 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Shouldn't they be on Scammers thread?
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 13, 2013
61 posts
15 upvotes
TORONTO
I want people to be aware of the brand name Fiorano it's a fake brand name they come up with and the website https://www.fioranoprojectors.com/ it's fake created by themselves. They also listed it on Kijiji be aware of these guys.
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 13, 2013
61 posts
15 upvotes
TORONTO
How can I move this to scammer thread? I didn't know there's a scammer thread. Mod please move this to scammer thread.
Member
May 7, 2015
478 posts
721 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So what was the scam?

Did they take the money and run?

Was the box empty?

Or was it some shitty projector?
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 13, 2013
61 posts
15 upvotes
TORONTO
It was a shitty projector, and surround sound system.
Sr. Member
Apr 8, 2020
537 posts
259 upvotes
Wow , it's 2020 now , that "business" newer dies ....
sorry OP ☹️
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2271 posts
1781 upvotes
GTA West
orian11 wrote: I got scammed yesterday by these 2 individuals claiming to receive extra home theater equipment by accident at home depot parking lot at Highway 7 and Woodbine. I sucker into it because they showed me the website https://www.fioranoprojectors.com/ and the retail value on the box and its brand new with all the packaging. I feel so stupid to fall for it. I did file a police report but doesn't look like it'll do much after doing some research these 2 guys been pulling this scam for long time and never caught. Hard lesson learned.
A lot of people are willing to buy things from the back of a truck because they assume it is hot merchandise and that they are getting a great deal. So the scam plays into the greed of people who are willing to buy stolen merchandise. (I'm not saying YOU are greedy or assumed it was stolen.) But that's how these kind of scams often go down. The beauty of these scams for the perpetrator is that people don't want to go to the police if there was illegal merchandise involved.

As you say, lesson learned.
Jr. Member
Dec 30, 2016
160 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
Wonder what's the reason these people never get caught? Is that because the victims actually received merchandise so it's harder to convict by police? Otherwise police could just pose as buyers and get these people out easily.
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 13, 2013
61 posts
15 upvotes
TORONTO
Called police for an update they said they'll look into the case when there's an officer near by and have time to investigate. She said it could takes months before I hear anything from them. Feel like taking action on my own they're still trying to sell their garbage on kijiji
https://www.kijiji.ca/b-gta-greater-tor ... 72?dc=true
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
20622 posts
5186 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: So what was the scam?

Did they take the money and run?

Was the box empty?

Or was it some shitty projector?
Please see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam
orian11 wrote: Called police for an update they said they'll look into the case when there's an officer near by and have time to investigate. She said it could takes months before I hear anything from them.
This is a polite way of saying that the police are going to do absolutely zero.

What the sellers did may not have actually been illegal, as they offered you a product in exchange for money, and you agreed. Now if the product does not actually meet the specs on the package or the website, you might be able to do something in civil court. Of course, this means you actually have to find and serve the sellers.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
12226 posts
4661 upvotes
Toronto
It happens to me 20 years ago in Montreal near Futueshop parking lot.
I don't even have a car, i was just walking by.

I was like, drive me home and we can talk, lol....
How do you want me to buy your speaker towers when I'm taking bus....they will select a "better" target.

Sorry for your loss OP. but always do enough research and don't commit to buy stuff on spot especially on the street from strangers....
How much did you pay?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 13, 2013
61 posts
15 upvotes
TORONTO
I lost $1K. I was mad at myself falling for it. I fell for the fake website. I don't think I will get my 1K back since this was going on for many years and they still continue to scam people.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 24, 2012
11544 posts
2544 upvotes
Montreal
kr0zet wrote: Sorry you got scammed but always remember, if it's too good to be true, it ALWAYS is!
Oh cmon! RFD's motto is : Buy now think later
Sr. Member
Mar 2, 2005
887 posts
326 upvotes
I bought some speakers about 20 years ago from a White van .. They were actually really good and I used them for about 10 years ...
Newbie
Sep 5, 2017
3 posts
I was also scammed 2 years ago at Hwy 7 and Woodbine. Probably the same 2 guys. They play it up real good. Driver had a picture of a kid on his dashboard.
They just talked me into it even as I was being skeptical.
Good thing my ATM limit was only $400. I contacted the police too but nothing they can do. Sorry it happened to you too :(
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4059 posts
2606 upvotes
Lesson learnt OP. About 20 years ago I had the same white van chasing me to stop so they can show me some high end speakers.

Top