• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2020 8:14 am
[OP]
Jan 13, 2013
44 posts
9 upvotes
TORONTO

White van scam in Markham

I got scammed yesterday by these 2 individuals claiming to receive extra home theater equipment by accident at home depot parking lot at Highway 7 and Woodbine. I sucker into it because they showed me the website https://www.fioranoprojectors.com/ and the retail value on the box and its brand new with all the packaging. I feel so stupid to fall for it. I did file a police report but doesn't look like it'll do much after doing some research these 2 guys been pulling this scam for long time and never caught. Hard lesson learned.
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5681 posts
5076 upvotes
orian11 wrote: I got scammed yesterday by these 2 individuals claiming to receive extra home theater equipment by accident at home depot parking lot at Highway 7 and Woodbine. I sucker into it because they showed me the website https://www.fioranoprojectors.com/ and the retail value on the box and its brand new with all the packaging. I feel so stupid to fall for it. I did file a police report but doesn't look like it'll do much after doing some research these 2 guys been pulling this scam for long time and never caught. Hard lesson learned.
Ouch. Just curious, how much did they ask for and how much did you pay?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3930 posts
3479 upvotes
The NORTH
Sorry you got scammed but always remember, if it's too good to be true, it ALWAYS is!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3207 posts
1588 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Shouldn't they be on Scammers thread?
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
Jan 13, 2013
44 posts
9 upvotes
TORONTO
I want people to be aware of the brand name Fiorano it's a fake brand name they come up with and the website https://www.fioranoprojectors.com/ it's fake created by themselves. They also listed it on Kijiji be aware of these guys.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2013
44 posts
9 upvotes
TORONTO
How can I move this to scammer thread? I didn't know there's a scammer thread. Mod please move this to scammer thread.
May 7, 2015
255 posts
366 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So what was the scam?

Did they take the money and run?

Was the box empty?

Or was it some shitty projector?
[OP]
Jan 13, 2013
44 posts
9 upvotes
TORONTO
It was a shitty projector, and surround sound system.
Apr 8, 2020
269 posts
133 upvotes
Wow , it's 2020 now , that "business" newer dies ....
sorry OP ☹️
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1667 posts
1226 upvotes
GTA West
orian11 wrote: I got scammed yesterday by these 2 individuals claiming to receive extra home theater equipment by accident at home depot parking lot at Highway 7 and Woodbine. I sucker into it because they showed me the website https://www.fioranoprojectors.com/ and the retail value on the box and its brand new with all the packaging. I feel so stupid to fall for it. I did file a police report but doesn't look like it'll do much after doing some research these 2 guys been pulling this scam for long time and never caught. Hard lesson learned.
A lot of people are willing to buy things from the back of a truck because they assume it is hot merchandise and that they are getting a great deal. So the scam plays into the greed of people who are willing to buy stolen merchandise. (I'm not saying YOU are greedy or assumed it was stolen.) But that's how these kind of scams often go down. The beauty of these scams for the perpetrator is that people don't want to go to the police if there was illegal merchandise involved.

As you say, lesson learned.
Dec 30, 2016
94 posts
8 upvotes
GTA
Wonder what's the reason these people never get caught? Is that because the victims actually received merchandise so it's harder to convict by police? Otherwise police could just pose as buyers and get these people out easily.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2013
44 posts
9 upvotes
TORONTO
Called police for an update they said they'll look into the case when there's an officer near by and have time to investigate. She said it could takes months before I hear anything from them. Feel like taking action on my own they're still trying to sell their garbage on kijiji
https://www.kijiji.ca/b-gta-greater-tor ... 72?dc=true
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19766 posts
4362 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: So what was the scam?

Did they take the money and run?

Was the box empty?

Or was it some shitty projector?
Please see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam
orian11 wrote: Called police for an update they said they'll look into the case when there's an officer near by and have time to investigate. She said it could takes months before I hear anything from them.
This is a polite way of saying that the police are going to do absolutely zero.

What the sellers did may not have actually been illegal, as they offered you a product in exchange for money, and you agreed. Now if the product does not actually meet the specs on the package or the website, you might be able to do something in civil court. Of course, this means you actually have to find and serve the sellers.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11249 posts
3500 upvotes
Toronto
It happens to me 20 years ago in Montreal near Futueshop parking lot.
I don't even have a car, i was just walking by.

I was like, drive me home and we can talk, lol....
How do you want me to buy your speaker towers when I'm taking bus....they will select a "better" target.

Sorry for your loss OP. but always do enough research and don't commit to buy stuff on spot especially on the street from strangers....
How much did you pay?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Jan 13, 2013
44 posts
9 upvotes
TORONTO
I lost $1K. I was mad at myself falling for it. I fell for the fake website. I don't think I will get my 1K back since this was going on for many years and they still continue to scam people.