Entertainment

Who is Canada's main band? - Rush or The Tragically Hip

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2021 6:09 pm

Poll: Who is Canada's main band? - Rush or The Tragically Hip?

• Total votes: 25. You have voted on this poll.
Rush

40%
The Tragically Hip

44%
Other

16%

Poll ended at Jul 4th, 2020 7:48 pm

[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1870 upvotes
Scarborough

Who is Canada's main band? - Rush or The Tragically Hip

Just a poll for the occasion to see who is tops for Canada. Happy Canada Day!
76 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11429 posts
3803 upvotes
Winnipeg
The hip are good. But Rush is iconic and is one one of the most popular bands of all-time they kinda sit at a different table than the hip. RIP Neil and Gord.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10979 posts
4261 upvotes
Rush and end the thread.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7089 posts
4363 upvotes
Between Countries
There's only one answer. And it's the men who hold high places must be the ones who start to mold a new reality, closer to the heart.
Nov 13, 2014
944 posts
1093 upvotes
Westmount, QC
My favorite Canadian band is Moist and David Usher with his solo career, so I have to go with Moist. Second for me would be Our Lady Peace.

Born in 86 if anyone cares.
May 28, 2012
11862 posts
4451 upvotes
Saskatoon
One local radio station has The Tragically Hip on what seems to be a continuous loop. To me, all their songs sound the same, so I usually switch to another station.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15502 posts
10121 upvotes
Toronto
Never liked Rush. Love the Hip. The Hip songs has more Canadian themes/lyrics and therefore would be the more Canadian band. But, like everything in life, music, is individual taste. Someone teenager today would probably pick Justin Bieber and say, the Tragic Hop who?

So many fantastic Canadian artists, love em all (almost), Ontario alone spit out so much great talent.

But it has to be the Hip for this thread.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7469 posts
5313 upvotes
Toronto
goodking wrote: The Guess Who.
These Rush and Hip clowns must be putting way too much sugar in their coffee, IMHO.

Best Perfomer - hands down, David Wilcox (based on my vague memory of a rotating stage at Ontario Place)
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1870 upvotes
Scarborough
goodking wrote: The Guess Who.
Honourable love to April Wine, Trooper, Chilliwack, Triumph, The Band, Sloan, BNL, Headpins, Streetheart, Red Rider.
May 28, 2012
11862 posts
4451 upvotes
Saskatoon
Strafe1 wrote: Honourable love to April Wine, Trooper, Chilliwack, Triumph, The Band, Sloan, BNL, Headpins, Streetheart, Red Rider.
Good choice
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1246 posts
783 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Strafe1 wrote: Honourable love to April Wine, Trooper, Chilliwack, Triumph, The Band, Sloan, BNL, Headpins, Streetheart, Red Rider.
No Honeymoon Suite?!?! :)
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4635 upvotes
Montréal
Loverboy? Blue Rodeo? I don't think there was such a thing. Heck, weren't Triumph kicking butt during their heyday (dunno their music though)? I also like Platinum Blonde.

Man, not a fan but somehow I kinda knew one of the members of Rush had it bad but talk about tragedy after tragedy.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11429 posts
3803 upvotes
Winnipeg
Mars2012 wrote: One local radio station has The Tragically Hip on what seems to be a continuous loop. To me, all their songs sound the same, so I usually switch to another station.
its a little over done isn't. You know back in the hey day, one summer/fall i saw them twice unplanned. Man they toured alot back then. Like every festival I went too. The hip was playing it.
shikotee wrote: These Rush and Hip clowns must be putting way too much sugar in their coffee, IMHO.

Best Perfomer - hands down, David Wilcox (based on my vague memory of a rotating stage at Ontario Place)
layin pipe...
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11429 posts
3803 upvotes
Winnipeg
koffey wrote: Never liked Rush. Love the Hip. The Hip songs has more Canadian themes/lyrics and therefore would be the more Canadian band. But, like everything in life, music, is individual taste. Someone teenager today would probably pick Justin Bieber and say, the Tragic Hop who?

So many fantastic Canadian artists, love em all (almost), Ontario alone spit out so much great talent.

But it has to be the Hip for this thread.
my hopes would be that a teenager today would atleast say something more like The Glorious Sons or Arcade Fire while bieber wins the hearts of tweens.
Bianco13 wrote: No Honeymoon Suite?!?! :)
I read the reason they did the cover for Lethal Weapon was because Mel Gibson was a big fan. They had matching hair.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
3838 posts
999 upvotes
I guess we should also add Saga and FM. So many good Canadian artists In the 80s - Men Without Hats, Payolas, Alannah Myles, Neil Young, Maestro Fresh Wes, the Spoons, Doug and the Slugs, Strange Advance, Luba, Parachute Club... the list goes on... Someone told me Skinny Puppy was/is Canadian?
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4635 upvotes
Montréal
random pattern wrote: I guess we should also add Saga and FM. So many good Canadian artists In the 80s - Men Without Hats, Payolas, Alannah Myles, Neil Young, Maestro Fresh Wes, the Spoons, Doug and the Slugs, Strange Advance, Luba, Parachute Club... the list goes on... Someone told me Skinny Puppy was/is Canadian?
Man, getting 80s nostalgia here...
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7089 posts
4363 upvotes
Between Countries
Well, if everyone's tossing out every artist Canadian, then I also nominate Oscar Peterson and his multiple bands.

Hey waitaminute, nobody nominated Justin Bieber? He's got a big penis, has hundreds of millions of views on Youtube, made thousands of times the money Rush has ever made. Despacito definitely destroys Tom Sawyer in every conceivable business metric, right? No? I wonder why not. Maybe dinosaur Rush fulfills the modern day (Canadian) warrior role better than any other artist
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1870 upvotes
Scarborough
Bianco13 wrote: No Honeymoon Suite?!?! :)
Yes! Them, Glass Tiger, The Pursuit Of Happiness, Blue Rodeo, Loverboy, The Box, Platinum Blonde for sure.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)