• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2019 7:40 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
2749 posts
3327 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
playnicee1 wrote: Walmart won't price match anything on a phone. It has to be the actual flyer in hand.
I think I've had this problem at other stores also.
Plus also, with a phone my local FreshCo literally price matches, but with a flyer in hand they also take a few cents off the price match price.
(sometimes as much as 5 cents!!)
Wrong. Walmart indeed does pricematch on the phone.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Jun 2, 2012
329 posts
313 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Honestly, these flyers need to go away and be replaced by apps.

The pay for the kids that do these deliveries is abysmal. The kids get stacks of each flyer and the newspaper delivered in bundles and then they have to put them together by hand. So if there are twenty flyers, that’s 20 flyers that need to be put into each newspaper by hand. Then placed into a plastic bag if raining. Each flyer earns something like half a cent. And each additional flyer gets paid out on a sliding scale, so some flyers only earn a quarter of a penny or less. I remember earning $60 for stuffing flyers twice a week for about 65 houses. It took me 4 to 5 hours to prepare the papers each time and then delivery was another hour, hour and a half if the flyers didn’t fit in the shopping cart that I was using to deliver. I stopped after the first 2 months after I did the math and realized I would probably be better off spending the 40 plus hours a month collecting pennies off the ground. At least I wouldn’t need to smell the overpowering fresh ink of the flyers.

Calculated on a hourly basis, the pay barely adds up to a dollar an hour. It is ridiculously exploitative and is not a good way to teach a child about money.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8577 posts
2359 upvotes
Mississauga
danybear wrote: Anybody know how to find out WHO delivers flyers for grocery stores? Who ever does it in my neighbourhood is dropping then ball more and more. Tuesday is the usual day for print delivery, because RED FLAG doesn't post until Wednesday, no idea why.
This week No Frills is missing, usually its Walmart that's missing. I like top plan my week on Tuesday at the latest. There usied to be a smarmy "community newspaper that accompanied the flyers, but In guess that proved unprofitable for the dwindling number of canary owners.
My flyers come with the Mississauga News every Thursday.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
1742 posts
1347 upvotes
Pickering
playnicee1 wrote: Walmart won't price match anything on a phone. It has to be the actual flyer in hand.
I think I've had this problem at other stores also.
Plus also, with a phone my local FreshCo literally price matches, but with a flyer in hand they also take a few cents off the price match price.
(sometimes as much as 5 cents!!)
Not sure which Walmart's you go to, but almost every Walmart I've been to price matches from my phone. And I travel several cities throughout Ontario (Brampton, Pickering, Ajax, Oshawa, Markham, Toronto, etc).

Maybe a disgruntled cashier?
CTC employee
Sport Chek / Canadian Tire / Party City discount
Telus EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Bell EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4036 posts
3908 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Flyers are waste of paper now a day. Every week they go directly into my.bluebin
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
21290 posts
19644 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
cheapshopper wrote: Flyers are waste of paper now a day. Every week they go directly into my.bluebin
Which is exactly why I said they were going the way of the DoDo Bird
It’s also been discovered that most folks who get them
Never look at them ... or the Community Newspaper they come in

Both are a dying breed

(So are BIG City PRINTED Newspapers too ... but they’ve at least got the money to transition to online publishing ... community newspapers don’t... they just disappear. Has been happening across Canada for the last 20 years. The OP needs to plan for that ... if it hasn’t happened already ... hence the wondering where the flyers are. Most close without much warning ... https://j-source.ca/article/over-250-ca ... ten-years/ Time transition to a good online source for flyers all in one spot. We love Flipp, it has so many great features for finding what’s on sale, comparing prices, price matching, making a shopping list etc. A zillion times better than doing this all the old fashioned paper route))
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18868 posts
5800 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: A zillion times better than doing this all the old fashioned paper route))
I'm still sticking with flyers for as long as they are delivered to my home. They're already there, so I may as well make good use of them.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18868 posts
5800 upvotes
Toronto
peli33 wrote: Freshco is a Price Beat, they will PM then subtract $.01.
With the phone it is a penny, yes, but with the actual flyer they took 3 cents off. (sometimes 5 cents, but I have no idea why)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Mar 1, 2007
251 posts
175 upvotes
GTA
Both my kids deliver the local papers with the flyers. One has 3 routes and the other only one, and the pay is $100 and $40 a month, respectively. The actual work includes preparing the paper (putting 2 flyer packs and the actual paper together) and delivering it (which I help them with, enjoying spending time with both guys). All in, takes about 2.5 hours of work a week. Regrettably, there are just not enough pennies on the ground where we live, so kids have to look for other ways to earn.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
21290 posts
19644 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
kozm wrote: Both my kids deliver the local papers with the flyers. One has 3 routes and the other only one, and the pay is $100 and $40 a month, respectively. The actual work includes preparing the paper (putting 2 flyer packs and the actual paper together) and delivering it (which I help them with, enjoying spending time with both guys). All in, takes about 2.5 hours of work a week. Regrettably, there are just not enough pennies on the ground where we live, so kids have to look for other ways to earn.
Just curious as to the math ...

Is that $ 100 month = 2.5 Hours x 4 Weeks
And $ 40 month = 2.5 Hours x 4 Weeks
= $ 140 month = (10 + 10) Hours
= $ 140 / 20 Hours = $ 7 per Hour
Divided by 2 Boys = $ 3.50 per Hour each for their time

Or is it

$ 100 + $ 40 = 2.5 Hours x 4 Weeks
= $ 140 month = 10 Hours
= $ 140 / 10 Hours = $ 14 per Hour
Divided by 2 boys = $ 7 per Hour each for their time

Cuz there is definitely a big difference

Don’t know how old your Boys are
And teaching the value of money is a good thing
But $ 3.50 an hour is bordering on slave wages IMO
(And $ 7.00 an hour, hardly any better)

No wonder the flyers are going the way of the DoDo Bird
Seriously who’s gonna do this job for that kind of money ?

Takes me back to the 1970s and delivering regular Big City Newspapers
Lol, when the Hourly Minimum Wage was actually around the $ 3.50 mark
Gosh, I was making more than $ 10 a week then (BEFORE Tips)
So can understand why no one wants to deliver these crazy flyers now... some 40+ years later

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)