Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3180 posts
523 upvotes

Who Else Moved Fully Self-Directed?

Recently moved everything self directed to try and save on the 1.2% or so per year for a passively managed account (booooo).

Currently my RRSP and LIRA is sitting in VGRO (around 90k) but I am looking to move good portion of that to mostly index ETFs. I am looking at ARKK and some pretty safe dividend yielding holdings. My TFSA has a bit of 'fun' money in it and that is around 40% VFV and XQQ with some hand picked stocks like BPY, TD, and KEY.

Does anyone have any advice on other ETFs that might be of interest? Has anyone gone self-directed and if so, what was your strategy?
7 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49906 posts
13924 upvotes
ONTARIO
I was a long time etf index investor.
With 80% weight in equities and 20% bonds/cash type
The mix was spread among USA, Canadian, and global indexes (in that order).

During the pandemic i saw opportunity. So i sold most of my stocks and invested in various growth stocks and blue chip stocks that were heavily discounted.

Right now i’m holding onto mostly cash i made during the time (up 35% since the craziness!). Totally lucked out on tesla...

Figuring out what to do now. I got pretty much all cash and some tesla and enbridge stock. I treat enbridge like a bond... it doesnt move much & has great dividends.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37361 posts
5236 upvotes
Winnipeg
I started self directed account over a year ago, but I still contribute to company accounts. I think it is fine to keep both going. I been favoring ETF heavily when I started, only went into individual stocks recently.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5933 posts
4379 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I do both. I keep around 30% of my assets self directed and 70% with my investment advisor. Only reason is my IA only charges me less than 1% all in and directly invests in stocks and bonds. Don't have to pay no MER or commission fees.
Oct 12, 2009
625 posts
341 upvotes
50 percent I do myself, I guess that will go up over the years. In 3 weeks I've made a fifth of what CIBC made me in 5 years. As OP has done I slung a lot into Enbridge dividend for retirement and play around with 5k for the odd penny trade
2010 Contest Wins: 0
Nov 22, 2015
95 posts
48 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I have recently grown my RRSP and TFSA accounts to 116% and 17%, respectively. I switched to self-directing when I found out that I can make almost what Manulife made 5 years for me in a week trading penny stocks. I know it comes with risks but I have been lucky so far.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4766 posts
3860 upvotes
Aside from a brief stint in 1987 I've been self directing or DIY investing since the early 80's long before there were ETF's or index funds available here in Canada.

As far as ETF's, now I just keep it real simple. ZBAL in the TFSA's and RRIF/RRSP.