Home & Garden

Who is entitled to pay for the plumbing charges?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2019 7:38 pm
[OP]
Dec 23, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote

Who is entitled to pay for the plumbing charges?

Two days ago my kitchen sink of the basement I am tenant of got clogged for some reason. The location it got clogged was where pipe from my basement joined with pipe from landlord upstairs. So, whenever they were draining anything in their kitchen sink it was all coming up my kitchen sink and getting overflown. Hence, me and the landlord were both unable to use the kitchen sink for two days.

They called the plumber to take care of the issue the day after. Which was taken care of and the plumber stated that there was a massive food clog after the junction on two pipes (about 25 feet ahead of my kitchen u-bend).

Now they are pinning it on me that it got clogged because of us. so we pay for the fixes, which I denied as it the landlord's responsibility and nothing happened on our side either. So I am just doing a sanity check that I am not entitled to pay for any fixes, right?

For the record, there is no lease agreement whatsoever. Its just a plain first of the month rental scheme.

tl;dr: Kitchen pipes got clogged after the junction of pipes from the basement that I am renting and the landlord upstairs. Am I even obligated to pay anything for the repair? since, its landlord's responsibility to get it fixed.
10 replies
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1710 posts
909 upvotes
Toronto
The landlord is entirely responsible.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
Landlord, always
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
Tell him to go pound salt. Landlord`s resonsibility
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12354 posts
3582 upvotes
GTA
Hilarious

100% scummy landlord

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2895 posts
2631 upvotes
Montreal
Red_Army wrote: Landlord, always
Just curious if you're saying this because it's impossible to determine who is at fault (so tenant gets the benefit of the doubt, obviously).

But would you also say this if the pipe was clogged in a place that could only come from the rented unit, by a thing that should not have been flushed/sent down (plastic knife, whig, toy, ...)?
Feb 25, 2004
933 posts
414 upvotes
Longueuil
Landlord, you simply rent
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
FrancisBacon wrote: Just curious if you're saying this because it's impossible to determine who is at fault (so tenant gets the benefit of the doubt, obviously).

But would you also say this if the pipe was clogged in a place that could only come from the rented unit, by a thing that should not have been flushed/sent down (plastic knife, whig, toy, ...)?
Well of course,this wasn’t the case here though
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16645 posts
6899 upvotes
If I am reading this right the landlord lives above you. The landlord called the plumber. And the plumber is expecting you to pay their bill?

Seems pretty scummy for the landlord to have the plumber try to force you to pay. The landlord pays the plumber. The landlord can attempt, if legal, to seek reimbursement from you. To me if it's a shared drain they have to establish who was at fault. Good luck with that - that would be next to impossible.
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
136 posts
71 upvotes
Entitled means privilege. Should be obligatec
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3647 posts
2599 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
It cracks me up when landlords try and pull off this kind of thing.
Tell him/her to take a flying f*** at the moon. And also to them to stop dumping grease down the drain.