• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2016 2:27 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 29, 2007
670 posts
394 upvotes
North America

Who has an online business?

What is it you do? Is it a product or service that you sell?
Do you have an Ebook or ecourse? Podcast or Video?
Who/What do you use for the site hosting and platform?

I am thinking of creating a business website with Wordpress and Aweber for email marketing.
Going to try and sell services and products I have access to...
and see if I can make some extra spending dollars and stretch it farther.
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2680 upvotes
Vancouver
Two things to think about:

How are you going to accept online payments?

What are you going to do about security? For a start Wordpress has terrible security - all Wordpress sites are under constant assault from hackers exploiting security holes, and you can expect to have to deal with occasional security breaches even if you diligently keep up to date.
Newbie
Jun 25, 2016
2 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver, B.C.
Hey SaltyWetGuy,

...what a name! :p

What I Do
Businesses:
- Computer Repair (Services) www.UpTimePC.com
- Social Media Advertising (Services) www.SMB.UpTimePC.com
- Electronic Cigarette (Products) www.Vapealution.com
- Vaporizer (Products) www.BlazerVaporizer.com

Hosting
I personally use BlueHost. They have great pricing, and 24/7 support. They also have unlimited storage, so its great for those who have lots of content they need to host. It also has unlimited emails, bandwidth, and a free website domain upon registration. They also support Opencart, Wordpress, and many other great platforms.

Platform
I have multiple online stores, where I sell both products and services. I use OpenCart for the majority of my websites. Its an opensource e-commerce platform and had so many great features. The downside to openccart it that it has some bugs, and errors every now and then. Good news is they have a forum where you can post your questions or problems, and you will get assistance quite fast. Although opencart has its ups and downs, so do most or all e-commerce platforms. I stick with opencart because of its ability to customize anything.

Payments
As for payments, I recommend setting up PayPal right away. This is a great way to start receiving payments. You can also upgrade to PayPal PRO for $30/month, and have the ability for customers to use paypal directly on your website without ever leaving your page to paypal. Alternatively, you can find a different payment processing company to process credit cards.

If you process credit cards directly on your website, you will need to purchase SSL on your domain for your website. This makes the credit card transactions secure from hackers etc. There are some payment processing companies which allow you to process payments directly on your website, and use the payment processors SSL (free for you) instead. This will eliminate the need to buy SSL. Paypal PRO offers this feature, along with Square API, and others.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
5018 posts
1616 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote: Two things to think about:

How are you going to accept online payments?

What are you going to do about security? For a start Wordpress has terrible security - all Wordpress sites are under constant assault from hackers exploiting security holes, and you can expect to have to deal with occasional security breaches even if you diligently keep up to date.
how about squarespace then?
Newbie
Jun 29, 2016
2 posts
What are you going to do about security? For a start Wordpress has terrible security - all Wordpress sites are under constant assault from hackers exploiting security holes, and you can expect to have to deal with occasional security breaches even if you diligently keep up to date.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 18, 2006
515 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
Before we get deeper, please answer this question for us, though mainly it's for yourself: Why did you want to start an online business in the first place? Share your vision with us.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 27, 2004
1212 posts
378 upvotes
BrandonBerner wrote: Hey SaltyWetGuy,

...what a name! :p

What I Do
Businesses:
- Computer Repair (Services) www.UpTimePC.com
- Social Media Advertising (Services) www.SMB.UpTimePC.com
- Electronic Cigarette (Products) www.Vapealution.com
- Vaporizer (Products) www.BlazerVaporizer.com

Hosting
I personally use BlueHost. They have great pricing, and 24/7 support. They also have unlimited storage, so its great for those who have lots of content they need to host. It also has unlimited emails, bandwidth, and a free website domain upon registration. They also support Opencart, Wordpress, and many other great platforms.

Platform
I have multiple online stores, where I sell both products and services. I use OpenCart for the majority of my websites. Its an opensource e-commerce platform and had so many great features. The downside to openccart it that it has some bugs, and errors every now and then. Good news is they have a forum where you can post your questions or problems, and you will get assistance quite fast. Although opencart has its ups and downs, so do most or all e-commerce platforms. I stick with opencart because of its ability to customize anything.

Payments
As for payments, I recommend setting up PayPal right away. This is a great way to start receiving payments. You can also upgrade to PayPal PRO for $30/month, and have the ability for customers to use paypal directly on your website without ever leaving your page to paypal. Alternatively, you can find a different payment processing company to process credit cards.

If you process credit cards directly on your website, you will need to purchase SSL on your domain for your website. This makes the credit card transactions secure from hackers etc. There are some payment processing companies which allow you to process payments directly on your website, and use the payment processors SSL (free for you) instead. This will eliminate the need to buy SSL. Paypal PRO offers this feature, along with Square API, and others.
I've got a question for you, if I may:
With two sites selling physical products, where do you warehouse and how do you ship?

I'm thinking of starting a niche product website (using Shopify), but my concern is the physical handling of inventory.
Newbie
May 28, 2016
3 posts
I have recently been reading a bit of the entrepreneur sub reddit which has a lot of postings in the area of your interest. Some good info on starting an online businesses with AMA's, advice and stories.
Newbie
User avatar
Jun 12, 2012
14 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver
What we do - sell geeky products like board games and collectibles (Starlit Citadel)

Hosting & Platform - Nexcess and Magento

Payments - Credit Cards & PayPal & Check. We tried Bitcoin for a bit, realised no one was really using it in our space so gave up on it.

As for warehousing, we have a warehouse and ship it out from there. If you don't want to handle it yourself, you can always hire people to do it for you. It can be expensive, but it can save you a lot of trouble.
Tao Wong
Starlit Citadel
[removed - self promotion not permitted]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 13, 2003
3018 posts
525 upvotes
Alberta
StarlitCitadel wrote: What we do - sell geeky products like board games and collectibles (Starlit Citadel)

Hosting & Platform - Nexcess and Magento

Payments - Credit Cards & PayPal & Check. We tried Bitcoin for a bit, realised no one was really using it in our space so gave up on it.

As for warehousing, we have a warehouse and ship it out from there. If you don't want to handle it yourself, you can always hire people to do it for you. It can be expensive, but it can save you a lot of trouble.
With great caution, anyway. Third party warehouses are notoriously unreliable (in addition to being expensive!) for whatever reason.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Aug 15, 2010
168 posts
20 upvotes
Spruce Grove
I have an online business with clients around the world. I am a time management coach and consultant and teach online courses.

My setup:

Web site/blog - Wordpress - http://captaintime.com
Online School - Teachable - http://captaintime.teachable.com/
Email Marketing System - Mail Chimp
Social Media Management - Social Report
Online Booking Calendar - SchedueOnce - http://captaintime.com/schedule/
Garland Coulson, "Captain Time"
Banned
User avatar
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
778 upvotes
ebusinesstutor wrote: I have an online business with clients around the world. I am a time management coach and consultant and teach online courses.

My setup:

Web site/blog - Wordpress - http://captaintime.com
Online School - Teachable - http://captaintime.teachable.com/
Email Marketing System - Mail Chimp
Social Media Management - Social Report
Online Booking Calendar - SchedueOnce - http://captaintime.com/schedule/
Going to RFD is not a good use of time...
Jr. Member
User avatar
Aug 15, 2010
168 posts
20 upvotes
Spruce Grove
TheRed wrote: Going to RFD is not a good use of time...
Then why are you here?
Garland Coulson, "Captain Time"
Newbie
User avatar
Jun 12, 2012
14 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver
scouzer wrote: With great caution, anyway. Third party warehouses are notoriously unreliable (in addition to being expensive!) for whatever reason.
From what I recall, it depends on how much homework you do and what you want to pay for. In my own business, we only used 1 before going in-house. When I worked for others, we used like 3 in the meantime and 1 was good, 2 weren't great at all (getting stock quantities right, shipping on-time, etc.) but it mostly was a matter of if you were willing to pay them to get the work done or not I found. However, small sample
Tao Wong
Starlit Citadel
[removed - self promotion not permitted]
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 29, 2007
670 posts
394 upvotes
North America
Thanks everyone, great advice. I'll look into these and start a site up asap.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4942 upvotes
Here 'n There
scouzer wrote: With great caution, anyway. Third party warehouses are notoriously unreliable (in addition to being expensive!) for whatever reason.
Totally wrong. Many are excellent and inexpensive.
Banned
Sep 8, 2016
3 posts
I found that Word Press is a better platform to use as it is great for Search Engine Optimization.
For social media management, I love Hootsuite because its extremely user friendly.

Top