• Aug 13th, 2021 4:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3720 posts
1539 upvotes
, ON

Who has vanity mirror with light?

Looking to install vanity mirror with light around the frame. This has to be hard wired I assume. Is it possible to piggy back using the same wire as the vanity light on the top of mirror?
How much is to hire electrician to install another conduit just for the mirror?

Thanks
8 replies
Jul 16, 2017
236 posts
247 upvotes
I wired my LED mirror light to the light fixture above. It was easy to install.

Hiring an electrician will probably be ~$200 minimum charge. If you have some other work to do at the same time, it would make this more feasible.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3720 posts
1539 upvotes
, ON
archon wrote: I wired my LED mirror light to the light fixture above. It was easy to install.

Hiring an electrician will probably be ~$200 minimum charge. If you have some other work to do at the same time, it would make this more feasible.
So in your case when you switch the top light fixture on, the LED mirror will be on and vice versa? It depends on the light fixture above it for power?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1997 posts
1728 upvotes
GTA
During my bathroom reno, we had a big double LED Mirror picked out that was going to cost a pretty penny.

One day while I was at costco, I saw single mirrors for $90 each. Picked up two of them, the wife was happy with the look, and we've had them for 3-4 years now and my wife is happy with them.

Going from double to single meant a bit more drywall and electrical work was required, but it didnt take too much work. Basically you will need to install a new box behind the mirror.

If you have attic above the bathroom it's probably pretty easy to get power to it from your bathroom overhead lighting assuming that circuit isn't maxxed out.

I'd agree with @archon where it is probably a $200 minimum charge, and it might be more depending on how you're setup, if you want it on dedicated switch, etc etc.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1997 posts
1728 upvotes
GTA
anotherbargainhunter wrote: So in your case when you switch the top light fixture on, the LED mirror will be on and vice versa? It depends on the light fixture above it for power?
My mirrors are on a dedicate switch. If you've got attic above should be a lot easier to do the same.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1540 posts
789 upvotes
we have a bathroom mirror with built in light. It is LED so power drawer is low so wired to existing wiring. Do not need seperate on/off switch for it as the switch is in the mirror. You do not need a separate fixture
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3720 posts
1539 upvotes
, ON
Is it up to code if I piggy back the wires to wires for light fixture above the mirror? This bathroom is in basement. No attic.
Jul 16, 2017
236 posts
247 upvotes
anotherbargainhunter wrote: So in your case when you switch the top light fixture on, the LED mirror will be on and vice versa? It depends on the light fixture above it for power?
Yes. The light switch controls both.

The LED mirror can be set to either turn on with the switch, or require an addition touch to turn on afterwards. I don't really see any case where we would need to have the LED mirror on, but the light fixture off.
Jul 16, 2017
236 posts
247 upvotes
anotherbargainhunter wrote: Is it up to code if I piggy back the wires to wires for light fixture above the mirror? This bathroom is in basement. No attic.
Sure. Single switches frequently control multiple light fixtures; there is nothing remarkable about this. As long as you are not above the current limit of your breaker, you are fine. For me, the light fixture (using LEDs) and LED mirror together is much lower power than the normal draw of the fixture (using incandescent).