Travel

Who is the lier game - airline or travel agency?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2020 10:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2004
1339 posts
21 upvotes

Who is the lier game - airline or travel agency?

Hello,

I was able to go though the Austrian regulator (no response from CTA) who made Austrian Airlines say they refunded the money according to No. 261/2004 due to cancelling my flight in June. The refund was issued in mid August, the regulator told me the refund was sent to the travel agency (Expedia for TD).

Expedia for TD is telling me if the refund was issued by the airline, it would go directly back to the credit card.

Since it has been over a month now and the money did not show up, either the airline or the travel agent is not being honest. Can you help me figure out which one is the lier?

The reason I am asking is if it’s Expedia - I will get TICO involved, as 15+ years ago a few days after filing a complaint against a different travel agent, I got the refund.

Out of 200+ flight bookings, this is <5 times where I did not book directly with the airline or on airline points, in all other (3 or 4) cases where I didn’t really have a choice of booking direct.

I believe it is a bit late for charge back since the ticket was bought in January.
6 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35456 posts
9473 upvotes
Ottawa
I think I agree with the airline. They would refund to the seller (buyer) which would be Expedia. That is the problem with third party buying, you are not the client of the airline but of the agency, regardless which credit card you use.
I f you have the retrn of funds documentation from the airline, you need to bring this to the attention of Expedia.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2563 posts
1738 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Raven_007 wrote: Hello,

I was able to go though the Austrian regulator (no response from CTA) who made Austrian Airlines say they refunded the money according to No. 261/2004 due to cancelling my flight in June. The refund was issued in mid August, the regulator told me the refund was sent to the travel agency (Expedia for TD).

Expedia for TD is telling me if the refund was issued by the airline, it would go directly back to the credit card.

Since it has been over a month now and the money did not show up, either the airline or the travel agent is not being honest. Can you help me figure out which one is the lier?

The reason I am asking is if it’s Expedia - I will get TICO involved, as 15+ years ago a few days after filing a complaint against a different travel agent, I got the refund.

Out of 200+ flight bookings, this is <5 times where I did not book directly with the airline or on airline points, in all other (3 or 4) cases where I didn’t really have a choice of booking direct.

I believe it is a bit late for charge back since the ticket was bought in January.
Airline refunds always go back to the original CC.
They do not send funds EVER to the agency unless the agency paid them cash/cheque (which is near impossible in your case).
What it sounds like in your case is that they allowed the option for a refund but it was not yet processed by Expedia for TD as this needs to actioned in their system to trigger the refund.

Having said this....
I had a similar issue with Expedia for TD & Emirates last year. I was owned a full refund from Emirates but Expedia for TD said otherwise. I had to escalate this with Expedia for TD who made up all kinds of BS and blamed Emirates (and they were dealing with the wrong person as I can clearly read fare rules). I got the refund about a month after I should have.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2563 posts
1738 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Pete_Coach wrote: I think I agree with the airline. They would refund to the seller (buyer) which would be Expedia. That is the problem with third party buying, you are not the client of the airline but of the agency, regardless which credit card you use.
I f you have the retrn of funds documentation from the airline, you need to bring this to the attention of Expedia.
This is not true at all.

When you buy from *most* 3rd parties (and in OP’s case an Ontario registered agency) you are always charged directly by the airline. Your CC statement will show “ ABC airline” not XYZ third party. Agencies cannot collect $$$ as the middle man based on good faith they will “pay” the airline (they used to do this and obviously did not turn out good). The only exception to this rule would be if the passenger paid in cash.

Therefore a CC refund will go back to the passenger’s CC even if the middle man went bankrupt. Expedia for TD just needs to do some admin work that they are being a bit negligent.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35456 posts
9473 upvotes
Ottawa
BrunetteGirl wrote: This is not true at all.

When you buy from *most* 3rd parties (and in OP’s case an Ontario registered agency) you are always charged directly by the airline. Your CC statement will show “ ABC airline” not XYZ third party. Agencies cannot collect $$$ as the middle man based on good faith they will “pay” the airline (they used to do this and obviously did not turn out good). The only exception to this rule would be if the passenger paid in cash.

Therefore a CC refund will go back to the passenger’s CC even if the middle man went bankrupt. Expedia for TD just needs to do some admin work that they are being a bit negligent.
OK, then there is and should not be any issues with airlines giving refunds to the passenger no matter who they bough the ticket from.

Odd though, when I buy things from Expedia (hotels, tours, entrance tickets), my credit card gets charged by Expedia.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1076 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
Look at your credit card statement. It will show whether the charge was made by Austrian or Expedia. Based on that, you will know who to chase after. You could also call your credit card and they can tell you who was responsible for the charge.

Alternatively, do a charge-back.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2563 posts
1738 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Pete_Coach wrote: OK, then there is and should not be any issues with airlines giving refunds to the passenger no matter who they bough the ticket from.

Odd though, when I buy things from Expedia (hotels, tours, entrance tickets), my credit card gets charged by Expedia.
Hotels / tours / park tickets are collected by Expedia as they have a contracted rate.

Airline tickets are a whole different ball game because tickets are issued through airline reservation systems (that’s why on a CC statement it will say the airline name not Expedia)

Someone from Expedia needs to manually go into their GDS and issue the client a refund. The airline already stated they are owed a refund so the OP’s reservation is already set up for that. The problem with Expedia is that the ppl answering the phone do not have comprehension/ access to GDS and need to escalate to another department. Super frustrating for customers IMHO