• Jun 28th, 2021 6:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15538 posts
3845 upvotes
Toronto

Who makes component based laptops?

I am looking at replacement options for my current Asus laptop, and find that most laptops don't allow you to replace the batteries, SSD, network card, keyboard, and Ram. I see that Intel has come up with a fix for that and wanted to know if there are others that offer something similar:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/19/215 ... ures-price

My idea is to get the fastest, most reliable SSD (i.e. 860 Pro Samsung), put 32 GB of ram, and i7.

What are my options in the 15.6-inch laptop size?

Thanks
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
33 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6821 posts
3801 upvotes
Mississauga
Panasonic Toughbook. But be prepared to pay for that functionality.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21145 posts
25106 upvotes
Just buy the next Dell Inspiron Ryzen 5000 Series in a few months and soup it up.

The PassMark on the Ryzen 4700U is nearly 14,000... expect the 5700U to scrape by 17,000 to 20,000.

What that means in real terms is that these mobile CPUs are fast enough for many workstation tasks including VM.

If you're wanting to get a heavy duty laptop video card, prepare yourself to spend multiple thousands.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15538 posts
3845 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: Just buy the next Dell Inspiron Ryzen 5000 Series in a few months and soup it up.

The PassMark on the Ryzen 4700U is nearly 14,000... expect the 5700U to scrape by 17,000 to 20,000.

What that means in real terms is that these mobile CPUs are fast enough for many workstation tasks including VM.

If you're wanting to get a heavy duty laptop video card, prepare yourself to spend multiple thousands.
I don't need very powerful video as I am not a gamer. I would like a FAST RELIABLE SSD which can be replaced if needed.

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21145 posts
25106 upvotes
hightech wrote: I don't need very powerful video as I am not a gamer. I would like a FAST RELIABLE SSD which can be replaced if needed.
Yeah, then a cheap Dell with a SSD upgrade is the path I'd go with.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33981 posts
7623 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I would invest in a powerful desktop. It is the only way to get full control over the components

I would consider a notebook as a secondary computer that is disposable.

If you want to do any real work, use your desktop. The notebook is only used when you are on the to go.

In my case, I replaced the notebook with an iPad and I remote into my desktop to do any tasks necessary. Since most people are stuck at home, the need for something portable is not there.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15538 posts
3845 upvotes
Toronto
aviador wrote: In Canada, just go for a Build-Your-Own Lenovo workstation laptop model having the slots you wish (2xRAM, 1xWiFi/WAN, SSD) and that has user replaceable battery -- P-series. Eurocom might be an alternative but their products are quite expensive.

IMO, the only component of concern to extend the useful life of a laptop is the battery (availability of genuine OEMs). Third party and compatible batteries are junk.

IMO, given that CPU and GPU are now soldered on almost all laptops, overshopping ("future-proofing") doesn't make any sense. A laptop is pretty much kaput when its battery is too derated -- IMO, that's one of the main drawback about consumer line craptops with good specs on paper: junk batteries. The other one is weak build. In addition to tech upgrade cycles are shorter now.
Thanks for your suggestions. I guess I must have lucked out with my Asus K53E i7 Laptop that I purchased back in Dec 2011 and is STILL on the original battery (albeit only at 80% capacity now). I have replaced the hard drive with an SSD, the keyboard, the WiFi module and added more ram up to 8 GB now.

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15959 posts
2577 upvotes
IIRC, some ThinkPad models still have replaceable SSD, RAM and battery.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6136 posts
2661 upvotes
Debtario
JAC wrote: IIRC, some ThinkPad models still have replaceable SSD, RAM and battery.
Yes, just have to do your research. Most ssds can be replaced, some have one stick of ram soldered with one slot free for upgrades. Batteries are internal now, you have to take the bottom of the laptop off to disconnect it, no more swapping on the fly or 12 cell upgrades.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5737 posts
3253 upvotes
Toronto
Lenovo had one 5 years ago Y500 where you can change out the gpu on 2 bays, making it SLI if you wanted. Also can change out the cpu, ram, hdd, battery.

Even T series were mostly interchangeable cpu, ram, hdd, battery but recent laptops I found are mostly soldered except for ram and hdd.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15538 posts
3845 upvotes
Toronto
I am just bumping this thread to get some ideas on what would you suggest for a laptop. What I am looking for is:

- Intel i7 or similar AMD depending on if there are no compatibility issues
- 16 GB to 32GB ram (ability to upgrade ram if possible)
- 512GB M2 SSD which is user-replaceable (I can add a Samsung)
- 15.6 inch screen that is NOT glossy
- 1080P resolution is fine or higher if available
- must be able to drive multiple monitors externally (ideally 2 4K monitors)
- lighted keyboard with a number pad

I just plan on doing photo editing on external monitors, maybe some video editing from time to time, and other simple tasks (i.e. Office, Internet, streaming music). I would ideally like to keep this under $2K ($1500 if that is reasonable). The key things that I would like to be able to replace are the SSD, upgrade the ram, possibly the network card. My current laptop is an Asus K53E i7 Laptop from Dec 2011 with a 512 GB Samsung SSD, 8 GB ram, a 5 Ghz AC network card, and a really crappy screen. I didn't look much into the screen at the time as my 2 x 24" monitors are always being used and the laptop serves as a portable cpu.

Thanks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

Jun 9, 2021
224 posts
117 upvotes
hightech wrote: I am just bumping this thread to get some ideas on what would you suggest for a laptop. What I am looking for is:

I just plan on doing photo editing on external monitors, maybe some video editing from time to time, and other simple tasks (i.e. Office, Internet, streaming music). I would ideally like to keep this under $2K ($1500 if that is reasonable). The key things that I would like to be able to replace are the SSD, upgrade the ram, possibly the network card. My current laptop is an Asus K53E i7 Laptop from Dec 2011 with a 512 GB Samsung SSD, 8 GB ram, a 5 Ghz AC network card, and a really crappy screen. I didn't look much into the screen at the time as my 2 x 24" monitors are always being used and the laptop serves as a portable cpu.

Thanks
Workstation laptops are more flexible with upgrades but out of your price range.

With consumer laptops, everyone wants "thin" so that kills the swappable battery. You can usually undo about 20 screws on a bottom of a 15" laptop, remove the thin battery with a single connector and install anew one.

While you have that back case off, you can unplug the current RAM in max 2 slots and install maxed out RAM depending on tech type it could be 2 x 32 or 2 x 64

There will be a single NVMe slot to do whatever with.

If you move up to a gaming laptop, some of the 17" models have 4 RAM slots and 2 NVMe slots.

If you try to move down to 13" just about anything, good chance everything inside will be soldered and glued. Yup - glue.

I suggest you look at Dell XPS 15 with the amazing 4K screen and there is a Dell XPS 17 now.

It drives external displays via Thunderbolt where you need 18 gbits/sec to fully drive a 4K 60 fps HDR 10 monitor. Thunderbolt 3 can support 2 of those.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookc ... 608.0.html
[Anyone know where I can buy a 8g NVIDIA card? Preferably 3060, 3060 Ti, 3070 Ti, but used 1080 OK]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
27843 posts
4140 upvotes
Montreal
HP ProBook and elite book. Most have used accessible ssd, ram and battery. Don't expect to change the CPU though

Last laptop I had that could.do that was an Intel Core Merom processor.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4633 posts
1269 upvotes
hightech wrote: I am just bumping this thread to get some ideas on what would you suggest for a laptop. What I am looking for is:
You could just go to the Dell, HP, Lenovo and Asus sites, filter for the requirements you listed and choose from there.
Jun 9, 2021
224 posts
117 upvotes
Mulder and Scully wrote: You could just go to the Dell, HP, Lenovo and Asus sites, filter for the requirements you listed and choose from there.
How on earth would that work when his major requirement is the ability to upgrade components in his laptop?

No filter for that!
[Anyone know where I can buy a 8g NVIDIA card? Preferably 3060, 3060 Ti, 3070 Ti, but used 1080 OK]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6096 posts
1592 upvotes

Thanks
I have a Lenovo P15v with gen 2 thunderbolt 3 dock.
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/th ... 2WSP15P5V1
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessorie ... 40AN0135US

It's got all your ask including 4 sodimm slots. I would highly recommend upgrading to the 4k monitor since it's brighter. The 1080p screens are only 45% RGB so the colour is a bit off. It also comes with a 512GB Opal SSD, which most people won't need. For the enhanced security feature, it's nearly 3x the price of a "regular" SSD or same price as a 980 Pro but only 3000/3000 performance.

It doesn't meet your price requirement but this is essentially a top-tier mobile workstation.
Images
  • p15v-ram.png
  • p15v-10850h.png
  • P15v.png
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4633 posts
1269 upvotes
10DevX wrote: How on earth would that work when his major requirement is the ability to upgrade components in his laptop?
No filter for that!
Step 1: Go to various companies' sites. Filter for laptop specs desired. Find a few laptops you like.
Step 2: Google search "is <laptop name> upgradeable"
Jun 9, 2021
224 posts
117 upvotes
rf134a wrote:
It doesn't meet your price requirement but this is essentially a top-tier mobile workstation.
Yeah, I had suggested that Workstation laptops are a better fit for upgrading.

In addition to Lenovo, HP with ZBook makes decent workstations and Dell has their Precision lineup:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Top-10-Wo ... 537.0.html

Getting even more esoteric there is a thriving industry of "boutique" laptop sellers which can sell you models with EVERY component, including CPUs and GPUs still upgradable like the old days. For a real "Powerhouse On The Go" some of them have a full desktop CPU option for ultimate power. (as you can imagine light weight is NOT on the list for those guys, but hey, you don't have to pay for monthly fitness club membership anymore, so the ten ton laptop pays for itself!)

OriginPC:
https://www.originpc.com/workstation/laptops/new-ns-17/

https://www.originpc.com/gaming/laptops/new-eon17-x/

Eurocom:
https://eurocom.com/ec/modelsg(7)MobileSupercomputers

XMG:
https://www.xmg.gg/en/xmg-ultra-17-e21