• Feb 27th, 2014 8:25 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
duckdown wrote: I'm in an apartment building where they are bastards about BBQ, they won't allow any propane on the balcony.. and there's obviously no natural gas hookup, i wish..

Have to head to the parents place to get my BBQ fix now

Since we are on the topic of indoor grills, who makes the best? We've just been getting by with a nicely seasoned heavy duty cast iron skillet
http://www.breville.ca/the-smart-oven.html

The Breville Smart Oven is getting good notices. You'll need an enclosed broiler, and this one gives a full 1800 watts on broil if I read the specs right.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4104 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
0xffff wrote: Is that Austin, TX? Or is it somewhere in Argentina?
It is Uruguay.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
bonterra wrote: That sounds interesting. Brand? Price? Where did you buy it?
Its a Hamilton Beach searing grill, fairly new on the market. The grill plate itself is close to the same as the Jojirushi, 118sq inches, and a temp dial that goes from 170-450. The entire bottom under the grill is a drip pan, the outside stays cool for easy handling. AND (the selling point for me) the grill, drip pan and hood cover all go into the dishwasher or sink.
I did some research on before I decided to get it, a local place here had it for $60. Its also sold at CanTire/Sears/HH, for $100.

I'm not a fan of Hamilton Beach.. but I've had contact grills before (George) and an electric that did not work well. This one I've used a couple of times and its awesome. Evenly cooks from one end to the other.

Heres a link (American which is why price is lower) that has some good pictures of it:
http://www.target.com/p/hamilton-beach- ... m=hamilton beach searing grill 25360
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
death_hawk wrote: Wouldn't a real oven have a higher output than a countertop 15A device?
Yes, but in some apartments there may be a gas range with a broiler at floor level. Who would grill a steak that way? If it is an electric range with a top broiler, these are not efficient because of oven size, and most will do not do a steak.
I have used a Waring Pro 15 amp countertop broiler for seafood and finishing. Because the space is confined and the door is substantial, the Breville may work as a steak broiler. It will broil at 500 F for 10 minutes by default. It will certainly work as a convenient finisher after cast iron searing, or for grilling chicken breasts, chops, and seafood.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
bonterra wrote: Now that is an interesting product. $59.99 on Amazon.ca. Thanks for posting it.
Do you have a link? I've looked at amazon and did not see it?
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7950 posts
3611 upvotes
Keelie wrote: Do you have a link? I've looked at amazon and did not see it?
I just put in "hamilton beach searing grill" in all and there it was.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
bonterra wrote: I just put in "hamilton beach searing grill" in all and there it was.
The only one that comes up for me is the contact grill one... not the same as the one I have. Did you look at the link I sent? It only has a bottom grill.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
bonterra wrote: I just put in "hamilton beach searing grill" in all and there it was.
I have that one. The searing helps but it still can't compare to a steak on a barbecue. I found a steak in the freezer so maybe I'll have that this weekend.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
rammingman wrote: Costco propane was $11.99 last time at the Queensway location. I wonder what it would be now?
A friend told me they were out of propane last week and that there was a shortage which could account for the price increase that Keelie mentioned. I get a full summer out of a tank so even at $23 a refill, it is still well worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
Cheap Cat wrote: A friend told me they were out of propane last week and that there was a shortage which could account for the price increase that Keelie mentioned. I get a full summer out of a tank so even at $23 a refill, it is still well worth it.
We have a propane bbq and a smoker. With the smoker we go through a good amount of propane during the season. Maybe it will go down a bit before we need it!!! We went from 87.9 - 115.9lt
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
165 upvotes
GTA
Andex wrote: I BBQ over the winter but it just isn't the same. In the summer I can kick back with a beer, the smell of grilled meat lingers longer and of course the warm sun beating down on you makes it all pretty amazing. I think the winter in the GTA has just got me so depressed, true BBQ season seems so far away :( an I alone or is anyone else struggling with grilled meat deficiencies?
I know it isn't the same, and some will probably lambast me for this. But I just use my George Foreman Cooker in the winter until it can get me over the hump.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3803 posts
635 upvotes
Leuven
Cheap Cat wrote: I am missing my barbecue. I don't like the cold and don't barbecue in the winter. Plus it is too dark to properly see my meat, I need a barbecue light or better light outside but even then I wouldn't be outside this year barbecuing. I only eat steak cooked on the barbecue so I am suffering withdrawal now.
I use a headlamp for light when bbq'ing in the winter
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7950 posts
3611 upvotes
Keelie wrote: Do you have a link? I've looked at amazon and did not see it?
Wrong model. Not quite the same.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
I must say the Hamilton Beach grill cooked T-Bones excellently tonight! The first steak we cooked on it. 1" and cooked 6mins a side was a perfect med/well... a little over done for hubby but perfect for me. Taste was great. No smoking from the grill and clean up could not have been easier.

Duckdown, grab one of these from sears.ca while its still on for $75 if you want a good indoor grill. I've used it 3 times and its exceeded my expectations.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7950 posts
3611 upvotes
Keelie wrote: Duckdown, grab one of these from sears.ca while its still on for $75 if you want a good indoor grill. I've used it 3 times and its exceeded my expectations.
I also found it at Canadian Tire. Hoping it'll go cheaper than $75.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
bonterra wrote: I also found it at Canadian Tire. Hoping it'll go cheaper than $75.
They sell at CanTire, Sears and Home Hardware... got that from the Hamilton Beach site. Its fairly new.. eventually it will be on for a good price, depends how long you want to wait to get one.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7950 posts
3611 upvotes
Keelie wrote: They sell at CanTire, Sears and Home Hardware... got that from the Hamilton Beach site. Its fairly new.. eventually it will be on for a good price, depends how long you want to wait to get one.
Thanks. My Zoji grill is great, it sears terrifically. I've been taking stuff off the grill and putting it in the oven to cook through. But realized that I could just improvise a cover from a 13 by 9 metal baking pan.

But, the Hamilton Beach grill is something I'd like to try. At a good price.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)