Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1983 posts
554 upvotes

Who owns a 4Runner?

Man I love these things. They look badass and they're a beast off road. I would love to buy one however I'm hoping someone that owns one could perhaps convince me that these shortcomings aren't a big deal:

-Horrible gas mileage
-Cramped interior
-Outdated engine and transmission (a 5 speed? really?)
-Overpriced
-Boatish steering and numb pavement driving

I'm seriously not knocking the 4 runner. I can't help but feel like some desert warlord when I'm in one and I gather reliability is a big selling feature. Just wondering about some owners' perspectives.
16 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1983 posts
554 upvotes
gqballa wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 7:58 pm
What generation are you looking at?
New. However I've read there may be an update in 2019 which I'm thinking is long overdue.
Mar 11, 2012
279 posts
66 upvotes
Depends what you're looking for.
  • One of the few truck chassis based SUVs that are still available.
  • Made in Japan
  • Personally i think it's great on gas for how big it is.
  • 11-13 L/100 KM during summer
  • 13-19 L/100 KM during winter
  • Takes regular gas
  • Do you want to modify it? if no, look at the TRD Pro edition
  • Steering/handling wise (it's quite large and yes, it's not going to handle like a car)
  • TRD Pro > Trail Edition > Limited > SR5
Overpriced? depends if you're buying used, yes they seem to hold their value better then gold.
Sep 25, 2009
617 posts
71 upvotes
Mississauga
Don't forget FJs, same DNA, shorter base, reliable and ready to be abused.
6 speed exists, but rare like hen teeth
"if you torture the data long enough nature will confess" Economist Ronald Coase - University of Chicago
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1672 posts
264 upvotes
Had 3rd gen (1999 for 10 years). Loved it.
Moved to 5th gen (2010 - present). A big improvement from the 3rd gen.
Thr 5th gen has been very reliable. Great on the highway and snow.
Gas is not great, but expected when you have a 4.0L displacement.
Highly recommend one of the last remaining truck-based SUVs.

As if the FJ, I sat it in. There seems to be too many blind spots.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5278 posts
5300 upvotes
Toronto
tim-x wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 7:53 pm
Man I love these things. They look badass and they're a beast off road. I would love to buy one however I'm hoping someone that owns one could perhaps convince me that these shortcomings aren't a big deal:

-Horrible gas mileage
-Cramped interior
-Outdated engine and transmission (a 5 speed? really?)
-Overpriced
-Boatish steering and numb pavement driving

I'm seriously not knocking the 4 runner. I can't help but feel like some desert warlord when I'm in one and I gather reliability is a big selling feature. Just wondering about some owners' perspectives.
I own a 4Runner (new, 2016, Trail Edition aka Offroad now.)

- It has horrible-ish gas mileage, particularly with real AT / winter tires, but not that horrible that it bothers me. http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/4runne ... oob/519216 if you want to see real world data for mine.
- I don't find the interior cramped (I am 6' and 300lb) but headroom is less than ideal
- I don't notice anything wrong about the engine, it's a nice trucky roary engine. Same transmission as in V8 4Runner and Lexus GX so not wimpy or liable to fall apart. For day to day driving it should be fine, I have no experience towing or driving at altitude which might expose more issues.
- Priced for market demand, little deprecation, so buying used vs new doesn't same much money
- I find that it drives fine, not boatish or numb. I have KDSS option with apparently improves on-road handling at the expense of higher speed (over 20 kph) offroad. Like many rear drive BOF vehicles, it is a great highway cruiser (except its brickish aerodynamics.)

Will be redesigned for 2019 or 2020 model year. Current model year hasn't been refreshed since 2014 or fundamentally changed since 2010. Drive train hasn't changed since 2005. Shifted transfer case hasn't changed since, erm, 1986. You don't buy a 4Runner to get a modern up to date vehicle with gizmos out the arse. But it will last.
Last edited by hoob on Jan 20th, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Jan 23, 2017
962 posts
784 upvotes
Calgary
I owned a '99 and loved every minute of it (other than the lower ball joint separating at 60km/h..almost like the video below but without any accident involved..).

It's a really dated platform, safety-wise I couldn't justify buying a new one, and I don't even have kids to haul around.

Dec 31, 2007
91 posts
21 upvotes
Vancouver
5th gen owners, how comfortable are the passengers (or you) finding the back seats? A close friend had a 2014 limited and my wife complained it was comparable to sitting on a park bench.

Considering a 5th gen seeing as how mint 4th gens are pretty $$$.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3482 posts
484 upvotes
Had a 2007 4runner with 2.7L motor . So sorry I sold it at 200K .
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1983 posts
554 upvotes
Yeah those that have them seem to love them. Anyone with a Tacoma? Seems equally awesome. Although the rear seat seems a bit cramped.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5278 posts
5300 upvotes
Toronto
tim-x wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 10:47 am
Yeah those that have them seem to love them. Anyone with a Tacoma? Seems equally awesome. Although the rear seat seems a bit cramped.
Anecdotally, I was dead set on getting a new 2016 Tacoma, until I test drove the Tacoma (sucked) and then test drove the 4Runner (much better than the Tacoma: roomier, better handling, better sight lines).

I was highly disappointed in the Tacoma in particular the new 6MT transmission they used instead of the previous generation one. Many owners dislike the 6AT as well.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Mar 11, 2012
279 posts
66 upvotes
Bonka wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 11:16 pm
5th gen owners, how comfortable are the passengers (or you) finding the back seats? A close friend had a 2014 limited and my wife complained it was comparable to sitting on a park bench.

Considering a 5th gen seeing as how mint 4th gens are pretty $$$.
you can tilt the back seats to be more comfortable, depends on the person. I personally didn't have any issues but I am pretty easy. It is a little hard but I have ASSets ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2255 posts
747 upvotes
Calgary
tim-x wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 10:47 am
I have a 2017 Tacoma Off Road double cab short bed automatic. I like it a lot. I wanted a truck since we have a minivan also for the 3 kids. Coming from the Tundra, the Tacoma is a lot easier to drive around town. You can't go wrong with either vehicle. Tacoma retains over 80% of its value after 4 years in Canada.

2 things I wish were better are the front seats need more adjustability and I wish the ECT mode was the default one when you turn the truck on.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
2165 posts
918 upvotes
ontario
Was also set on a Tacoma. Then I test drove one and a Chevy Colorado.

Came home with a diesel Colorado. Toyota has a bit of catching up to do in the mid size truck segment which they owned for many years.

As for the 4runner it's the SUV to get if this is the kind of SUV you are looking for. Mainly because the competitions models turned into cute utes.
Last edited by esoxhntr on Jan 21st, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.