Who OWNS a Water Tank or Tankles Water Heater? Have a few questions for you

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2020 2:09 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1577 posts
1106 upvotes
Longueuil
Fantastical wrote: Wow, water heater lasts 20+ years?
Yes but mine is electric so it is probably more reliable than a gas one (and cheaper to buy, install and since I am in Québec, also cheaper to run)
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6037 posts
1206 upvotes
Installed a 50gal power vented gas water heater purchased from lowes tax free event in 2015.

With installation came to 1800.

It has not given me any problem since it was installed. At this point, I am already broke even, had I taken on a rental contract
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1159 posts
516 upvotes
North of Toronto
I am with Reliance with a CV40 Gallon tank.

Super glad I came here to check this thread out. Never knew Home Depot/Lowes sold water heaters and installed them. Seems like a much better deal to just buy it outright and get it installed.

I am going with a PV50 Gallon Tank. Seems like a no brainer to not rent. Sure, you lose some security of what a rental contract offers. However, you can save some serious dough over the life of the hot water tank.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3854 posts
2433 upvotes
Woodbridge
Make sure that you have proper access to vent out as you are converting your CV40 to PV50. Also you MUST have a receptacle in vicinity of the water heater. Extension cords are not allowed by code. I also assume that you do not have any height restrictions.
GhostBusters wrote: I am with Reliance with a CV40 Gallon tank.

Super glad I came here to check this thread out. Never knew Home Depot/Lowes sold water heaters and installed them. Seems like a much better deal to just buy it outright and get it installed.

I am going with a PV50 Gallon Tank. Seems like a no brainer to not rent. Sure, you lose some security of what a rental contract offers. However, you can save some serious dough over the life of the hot water tank.
HVAC Pro-Committed to customer, not brand. Past RFD Reviews
2022 Central Air Conditioner & Furnace Group Buy
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1159 posts
516 upvotes
North of Toronto
newlyborn wrote: Make sure that you have proper access to vent out as you are converting your CV40 to PV50. Also you MUST have a receptacle in vicinity of the water heater. Extension cords are not allowed by code. I also assume that you do not have any height restrictions.
What do you mean a receptacle? An electrical outlet? I just had an electrician professionally install one direct to my fuse panel near the hot water tank. The outlet will be dedicated to the hot water tank only which is what is recommended.

When I asked Reliance about upgrading to a power vented model. They gave me the requirements needed and I made sure I met them all. Access to vent to the outside is no problem, height is definitely not an issue. I will even have the old vent from the CV model either converted to a bathroom fan or just cap it.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3854 posts
2433 upvotes
Woodbridge
Sorry for my lingo. You ar correct. I meant electrical outlet. Now that you meet all the requirements for PV WH, go and get it from big box store ( manufacturer AO Smith) and start saving.
GhostBusters wrote: What do you mean a receptacle? An electrical outlet? I just had an electrician professionally install one direct to my fuse panel near the hot water tank. The outlet will be dedicated to the hot water tank only which is what is recommended.

When I asked Reliance about upgrading to a power vented model. They gave me the requirements needed and I made sure I met them all. Access to vent to the outside is no problem, height is definitely not an issue. I will even have the old vent from the CV model either converted to a bathroom fan or just cap it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7530 posts
2442 upvotes
0 downvotes
Whats funny is my GAS powered water tank has a hydro wire to it, not sure why but maybe it needs hydro to detect the temperature, cus when my hydro goes out so does my hot water?
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
May 12, 2003
371 posts
246 upvotes
GTA
Hydro is usually for the power vent units. The motor on top works on hydro
GoodFellaz wrote: Whats funny is my GAS powered water tank has a hydro wire to it, not sure why but maybe it needs hydro to detect the temperature, cus when my hydro goes out so does my hot water?
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1159 posts
516 upvotes
North of Toronto
newlyborn wrote: Sorry for my lingo. You ar correct. I meant electrical outlet. Now that you meet all the requirements for PV WH, go and get it from big box store ( manufacturer AO Smith) and start saving.
Thanks!!

I am going to check out the big box stores sometime this week when the wife wants to get out.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4509 posts
1457 upvotes
West Side GTA
GoodFellaz wrote: Hello. I am in the process of acquiring a Water Tank or Tank-less Heater that is NOT a rental, that will be purchased by me. ALL the rental companies I spoke to for the last year (Enbridge, Direct Energy, Enercare, Reliance Home Comfort, etc), have WARNED me that even a simple service call for my Water Heater can be very pricey like in the $200 dollars range, plus if it needs repairs, expect a bill of about $500 and up. Is this true or are they saying this to me to sway me into Renting a tank from them for $30-40 per month, and telling me all the service calls for the rental are included to try to buy me as a customer?

those of you who own your own tank not rental, how often do u do service calls, and how expensive is it? this data is what I will use to justify buying versus renting my tank
Service calls so far...0
$ saved quite a bit :)

The only time i'd rent a water tank is if i have a renter that's in the building and I'm not living on site. I can simply call rental company and they'll be over with a tech pretty quickly.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1577 posts
1106 upvotes
Longueuil
-=phelan=- wrote: Service calls so far...0
$ saved quite a bit :)

The only time i'd rent a water tank is if i have a renter that's in the building and I'm not living on site. I can simply call rental company and they'll be over with a tech pretty quickly.
Even if you own the tank in a rental property you could make a service call to a plumber (they can be on site very quickly but might charge extra). There is no guaranty the rental company will send a tech quickly.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3854 posts
2433 upvotes
Woodbridge
** Deleted by poster due to misintrepretation ******
JEDI Force wrote: Even if you own the tank in a rental property you could make a service call to a plumber (they can be on site very quickly but might charge extra). There is no guaranty the rental company will send a tech quickly.
Last edited by newlyborn on Jul 29th, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1577 posts
1106 upvotes
Longueuil
newlyborn wrote: That is true however if its known to rental company, they can cancel the rental agreement on their terms. This clause is well described in rental agreement.
That is not what I meant. I meant that if you own a rental apartment and that you own the tank, you can call a plumber and he will come to fix it.

I don't see the avantage of renting the tank even when there is a service call to make on a rental property.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3854 posts
2433 upvotes
Woodbridge
Sorry for my misinterpretation
JEDI Force wrote: That is not what I meant. I meant that if you own a rental apartment and that you own the tank, you can call a plumber and he will come to fix it.

I don't see the avantage of renting the tank even when there is a service call to make on a rental property.