Home & Garden

Who is responsible for getting my Cat5 to work in my new pre-con?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2020 9:42 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 12, 2008
396 posts
179 upvotes

Who is responsible for getting my Cat5 to work in my new pre-con?

So I recently closed on a pre-construction house with Mattmy Homes. I paid Mattamy to install CAT5 cables in every room. The end of all the CAT5 cable all leads into my garage where my fuse box is. For some reason they are not plug into anything. They didn't even stripped the wire to put a head on it.

I had a Rogers technician come by last week to have the modem hook up and they set up the modem in my living room.

I called Mattamy and they said the Rogers technician is suppose to hook up the CAT5 to the modem. Modem will probably need to be relocated to the garage.

I call Rogers and they said the builder needs to splice the wire and put a head on it and also install a ethernet panel.

Who is suppose to do what?
42 replies
Nov 24, 2007
240 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
Look at your docs from builder, most likely, builder is responsible for rough-in only which is what they have done. Onus is on you to either pay Rogers to do it, or do it yourself.
It’s not too expensive or hard at all to do it yourself. Look up YouTube videos on how to wire Ethernet connectors (cat5e or cat6) and/or keystone jack. Your hardest part is probably figuring out which wire goes to which box/location.

Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6192 posts
3246 upvotes
Mississauga
Hopefully it was at least Cat5e and not Cat5...
Apr 17, 2016
344 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
You can purchase a kit from prime cables (or I'm sure amazon as well) that has all the tools and connectors you need, for approx $20. I did so, and terminated about 14 cat6 cables in my house. The first few took some time to figure out, but it went quickly after that.

I also bought a network switch and connected all cables and modem to the switch.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12030 posts
8735 upvotes
GTA, ON
Why would the modem be needed to be located in the garage? Once the cables are properly jacked, just use a switch in the garage.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6536 posts
1095 upvotes
In my last house, the builder (Arista) did all the work including the plate on the the wall. I'm surprised that your builder left a cable hanging without finishing the work.
Feb 25, 2004
961 posts
432 upvotes
Longueuil
I don't think the Rogers technician will terminate your cables. I also purchased some basic tools from Monoprice in 2012 and terminated all cat6 cables that I installed in my house at that time. It is not really difficult. The keystone ones are really easy, if you terminate with an RJ45 connector it is more of a challenge but you can do it (you just need to get used to it, I had never done it before).

I don't understand however why they would install cat5e instead of cat6. When I did it in 2012 the price difference was really small (and I was not buying in bulk like builders). On top of that, what is expensive is the labor, not the cable itself so it seems like a really bad idea to use cat5 instead of cat6 to save a few pennies.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3245 posts
2205 upvotes
Toronto
I installed Cat5e in my house many moons (15 years?) ago and can get gigabit connection over it, but the one most important cable run to my desk is failing and capping at 100mbps sadly. So I stick with the 400-500mbps I get over wifi and connect with ethernet if I need to transfer massive amounts of data.

I've tried redoing the jacks 10 times, but no luck - must have gotten damaged when I installed it or since then somewhere in the wall. I suppose with the right tools I might be able to diagnose it but chances are slim at fixing it.

But yeah, your demarcation point from your service provider should be able to be anywhere you have one of those ethernet runs.

Put their modem there, patch that line to another line in the garage and put your wi-fi router in the room that line serves unless like me you're using the wifi built into your carrier's modem (Bell for me - I've tried many routers and none have improved the signal).

With all the advances in wi-fi, I'm not sure I'd bother spending $1 on ethernet cables in 2020 frankly.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6192 posts
3246 upvotes
Mississauga
Ethernet will always give a more stable, more secure and faster connection. That's why everything in my home that isn't a mobile device is connected via ethernet.
Nov 13, 2019
200 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
torontotim wrote: I installed Cat5e in my house many moons (15 years?) ago and can get gigabit connection over it, but the one most important cable run to my desk is failing and capping at 100mbps sadly. So I stick with the 400-500mbps I get over wifi and connect with ethernet if I need to transfer massive amounts of data.

I've tried redoing the jacks 10 times, but no luck - must have gotten damaged when I installed it or since then somewhere in the wall. I suppose with the right tools I might be able to diagnose it but chances are slim at fixing it.

But yeah, your demarcation point from your service provider should be able to be anywhere you have one of those ethernet runs.

Put their modem there, patch that line to another line in the garage and put your wi-fi router in the room that line serves unless like me you're using the wifi built into your carrier's modem (Bell for me - I've tried many routers and none have improved the signal).

With all the advances in wi-fi, I'm not sure I'd bother spending $1 on ethernet cables in 2020 frankly.
While I can't argue with the convenience and advancement of wifi. I'd take 100mbps wired over 4-500mbps wifi any day

You must be sitting next to your modem to be getting those speeds I bet. It's nice to have these jacks too, to set up access points in places where wifi is crappy
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1729 posts
689 upvotes
Oakville
You would have signed an agreement with Mattamy and/or directly with their low voltage wiring sub-contractor. Review this agreement and see if they had stated the wires would not to be terminated with RJ45 connectors at the central location (e.g. your garage).
Which sub-contracting company did Mattamy hire to do your wiring (CAT5e)? How much did you pay per CAT5e?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4979 posts
4024 upvotes
timofeewho wrote: While I can't argue with the convenience and advancement of wifi. I'd take 100mbps wired over 4-500mbps wifi any day

You must be sitting next to your modem to be getting those speeds I bet. It's nice to have these jacks too, to set up access points in places where wifi is crappy
I can get 300Mbps+ anywhere in the house even with a mesh system , no need to be beside router. 5ghz wifi is fine and I get it all throughout the house and out to garage and backyard
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1495 posts
643 upvotes
When I bought my Aspen Ridge home in 1999, they already ran Cat5e as the "phone" cabling in the house, so all I had to do was to terminate the cables in each room and put in a switch where it all ran to next to the fuse panel.

Why would they run all the internal cable to the garage? Was the only cable option to use Cat5? I don't understand why they wouldn't at minimum use Cat5e, or else even offer Cat6/6a as an option?

Double check your sale agreement fine print to ensure that what you paid for is done. If you only paid for them to run the cables, it's understandable that they're not terminated. Termination and testing is a whole other ball of wax that the builder electricians probably didn't want to do.

As for Rogers, they won't do much, all they'll be responsible for is to run it to the demarcation point where the cable terminates in the house.

There are so many instructions online on how to terminate cable: https://www.instructables.com/Terminati ... AT6-Cable/

I always prefer wired over wireless if I have an option. Gigabit > wifi
Jan 7, 2006
573 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
I'm pretty sure they didn't run cat5, cat5 was superseded by cat5e around 2002. A high volume cabling/electrical contractor would not have any old cat5 stock, but if you hired some old guy off Kijiji who has a garage full of cable he stole from work 20 years ago, then maybe its cat5 but this isn't the case here.

But regardless, I wired my parent's place with cat5 in 1997 or so, rather cutting edge for home use at the time rather then running coax for 10base2. It handles gigabit just fine, no errors at all, longest run is around 60 ft with the worst crimp job possible done by teenager me at the time.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1495 posts
643 upvotes
Kevin711 wrote: I'm pretty sure they didn't run cat5, cat5 was superseded by cat5e around 2002. A high volume cabling/electrical contractor would not have any old cat5 stock, but if you hired some old guy off Kijiji who has a garage full of cable he stole from work 20 years ago, then maybe its cat5 but this isn't the case here.

But regardless, I wired my parent's place with cat5 in 1997 or so, rather cutting edge for home use at the time rather then running coax for 10base2. It handles gigabit just fine, no errors at all, longest run is around 60 ft with the worst crimp job possible done by teenager me at the time.
That's what I was thinking but you never know with builders. Easiest way to know is to simply look at the printing on the cables.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33589 posts
7266 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
torontotim wrote: I've tried redoing the jacks 10 times, but no luck - must have gotten damaged when I installed it or since then somewhere in the wall. I suppose with the right tools I might be able to diagnose it but chances are slim at fixing it.
Have you checked the other end of that CAT5 jack? The one that terminates into your patch panel or switch?
Disciplinz wrote: Who is suppose to do what?
You’re suppose to terminate it. I don’t know of any builder that hires a contractor to do this. It makes sense to me. they don’t know if you want to terminate to a patch panel or what system you plan to use. Keystone jacks are garbage and prone to data leakage. Go with a good system like Panduit or Belden.

Take @chimaican advice, terminate the ends in your garage and plug all the cables into a switch, you can leave the Rogers modem in the house. I suggest you get a PoE switch and an access point for the second floor

If the builder terminated the cables in the house, check if they are using 568A or 568B and terminate accordingly in the garage
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8049 posts
1667 upvotes
My friend recently closed last year with Averton. They put the wall plates and the keystones, however the garage side is not terminated.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9987 posts
5259 upvotes
Paris
My parents closed in 2002. Builder terminated nothing for wires on either end, and I ended up doing it. Coax, phones lines, nothing. All run, no termination either end.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45348 posts
5908 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I can't say I have personal experience with this but it sounds basic to me that cables should be terminated. I don't understand how that can be an "add-on" and not the standard if it wasn't a matter of a builder being cheap again.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3245 posts
2205 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: Have you checked the other end of that CAT5 jack? The one that terminates into your patch panel or switch?
Oh yeah, re-did that a couple of times too. I replaced the male end with a female as well and then connected it with a tested patch cord to the router with the same result. Cut a couple of inches off each end of the cable as well to eliminate any issues with breaks near the jacks too.

I assume there's some sort of tester that would confirm continuity on each of the strands, but I don't have anything like that and frankly it's not that big of a deal. I just have a convenient jack behind my desk and a USB-C gigabit ethernet adapter (tested, works on other jacks) but can't make use of it. I'm 10 feet from the router so my signal is never a problem but would still be nice to be wired.