• Aug 17th, 2018 8:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
1052 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto

Whole home audio systems

Looking for some recommendations for some whole home audio solutions. My in laws are building a new house I am I doing all the cabling for the new house.

Sonos is not something they’re looking for at this tome and want at least 6 sets of speakers through the house.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
7 replies
Sep 12, 2008
103 posts
38 upvotes
Canada
Are you talking about something that integreates with digital devices (similar to SONOS, though I know you don't want SONOS)?
Or are you looking mostly for amplification? If it's the latter, check out Crestron gear. Their older amplifiers (CNAMPX-???)
are still quite good, and some of the models can support up to 8 channels IIRC. Just as important, they sound great, are really
well-built and reliable as heck.

eBay is a good source.

I use two of them for biamping my home audio system.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
2146 posts
849 upvotes
Toronto
I used a 35$ amplifier combined with Chromecast throughout the house.. it works great when driven from a phone tablet or Google home. Will link to the amplifiers later when I'm home.

I use this setup to drive a pair of bookshelf speakers n one room and a pair of ceiling speakers in another. I typically don't have everything on playing all at once but I'm quite certain chromecast allows you to specify groups of devices...
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4925 posts
764 upvotes
Calgary
Look into a cheap 12 channel (or 3x4 channel) amplifier designed for vehicle (12 volt operation). 50-100W per channel. I think they are type D. The sound quality is not as good as a "hifi" amplifier but will be fine for in-ceiling speakers. Then each can be controlled separately with wall volume controls (or more sophisticated with a central app controlled system)

For cabling - which is all you need right now - run a 3x14 AWG from the amplifiers(s) location to a wall box, then 2x14 AWG from that box to the speaker locations. Also run a cat6 into that same wall box "for future potential". The wall box can then be used for a local volume control or just for the connections and covered up with a plate.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Oct 15, 2013
324 posts
322 upvotes
I use Chromecast Audio in 3 locations (kitchen, bathroom, basement). In Google Home software you can setup rooms groups, so when I say "Ok Google, play some Metallica in the house" it plays from everywhere.

The output is dual mode where you can plug a regular 1/8" stereo to RCA cable, or you can use a toslink optical cable. My main system is a HK-3490 with digital inputs so I use a short optical cable from Primecables. It can even streams 24/96 FLAC files, or so I read.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4925 posts
764 upvotes
Calgary
EEE2 wrote: Run cables. Look at creston, control4, monoprice, etc
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10761
That Monoprice system is interesting as an "all in one solution" Maybe a little dated on the technology (four years old) Available for $490 US on Monoprice ebay site vs $600 US from them online

Any other similar integrated systems at reasonable price?
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
2146 posts
849 upvotes
Toronto
These are the amplifiers I used in conjunction with google chromecasts... The only issue is i the power goes out... When they turn on, there is a bootup sound, and a chinese lady saying "A-U-X Mode with a thick accent"... other than that they have been working flawlessly with the chromecasts, controlled by google homes, ipads or phones for the past 4 months... I dont use the bluetooth functionality as I used the Chromecasts instead. You can connect a phone, ipad or google home directly to these amplifiers via bluetooth; however I prefer chromecast since bluetooth has quality/range issues (not necessarily with these amps -- i havent even tried it) and i like the ability to group via google home app...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B072V5 ... UTF8&psc=1