Home & Garden

Whole House Humidifier -- Recommendations?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2024 8:52 pm
May 4, 2017
4 posts
Thanks Newlyborn. You may be on to something with the saddle valve. In the past it's giving me issues due to sediment build up to the point that water has completely stopping passing through to the humidifier.

I'll try both things recommended
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
newlyborn wrote: You should try cleaning your solenoid valve with CLR or something alike. There are no moving parts in humidifier so problem should be related to saddle valve. Also make sure that feed lines do not have water sediments in It.
It’s pretty easy to take these parts apart and do self troubleshooting.
Generalaire does make drum humidifiers and they do move/spin. I agree though, could be solenoid or saddle valve as well. Depends on what the whistle sounds like and exactly where it's coming from. Ideally he should swap the saddle valve to a ball valve.
https://www.generalfilters.com/products ... _PT15.html
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2010
1428 posts
431 upvotes
engineered wrote: Generalaire does make drum humidifiers and they do move/spin. I agree though, could be solenoid or saddle valve as well. Depends on what the whistle sounds like and exactly where it's coming from. Ideally he should swap the saddle valve to a ball valve.
https://www.generalfilters.com/products ... _PT15.html
Yes, please do not use the saddle valves that comes with the humidifiers. They tend to leak over time.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
Attention new home buyers
Don't forget to get the humidifier installed in your new homes. Lack of proper humidity creates the gap in wooden floor. It gives a builder reason to void the warranty on floors.
Also, don't be fooled by the sticker on the furnace that warranty on the furnace is void if the humidifier is not installed by his preferred vendor ( at triple prices).
Warranty can be void only if there is a leak from humidifier and it damages furnace ( which is highly unlikely since its installed on return duct). You can get the best humidifier Aprilaire for these prices
Aprilaire 500 - 350 + tax
Aprilaire 600- 400+ tax
Aprilaire 700- 650+tax
Aprilaire 800 - TBD
Last edited by newlyborn on Sep 19th, 2021 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Certified HVAC Pro. Committed to Customer, not brand. Past RFD Review
2024 AC, Furnace, Heat Pump and Water Heater Groupbuy
Deal Addict
May 24, 2006
2238 posts
881 upvotes
Thanks Ash (newlyborn) for you help in picking out and installing my new humidifier. Recommend anyone looking for one to reach out to him if you are in GTA.
Mar 17, 2013
3 posts
1 upvote
Thanks Ash (newlyborn) for you help in picking out and installing my new humidifier (Aprilaire 500) today. Highly recommended to anyone looking for a new humidifier or any HVAC needs. 5-Star service!
Apr 25, 2017
193 posts
154 upvotes
We had Ash (newlyborn) come in and install our humidifier (Aprilaire 600M) this weekend. It was a very clean installation and the price was reasonable. He was more than happy to explain the maintenance work required for the furnace/humidifier/tankless. I'm happy that now I know a great guy for all HVAC needs. Highly recommend!
Jul 14, 2006
847 posts
919 upvotes
Toronto
Another happy customer who went with Ash (@newlyborn) after seeing the many positive reviews on this thread.
He was able to fit me into his schedule last minute and he installed an Aprilaire 600M for me. Taught me a lot of things along the way.

Reach out to him via PM or directly via his company "Fair Deal Heating & Air Conditioning".

I'll be reaching out to him in the near future to help with my hot water tank rental Face With Tears Of Joy
Jul 23, 2005
700 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
Got a humidifier installed this week. Ash was able to help fix a few other things in the basement at the same time. Will go with him when I need to replace my furnace
Dec 12, 2013
27 posts
17 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I had Ash (newlyborn) from Fair Deal Heating come by my house and install a humidifier today. It was a pleasure to have him install the humidifier and answer any questions I had. Will definitely recommend Ash for anyone that needs any HVAC work to be done.
Oct 7, 2019
1 posts
My house already has a HEAT RECOVERY VENTILATION (HRV) UNIT. Do I still need to put a central humidifier such as Aprilair 600M? Thanks.
May 26, 2020
80 posts
65 upvotes
Another happy customer with Fair Deal Heating & Air Conditioning
Ash came to install an Aprilaire 700m humidifier. He didn’t rush at all to make sure everything is installed properly. Communication was great from start to finish.
Would highly recommend Ash for any HVAC needs
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1998 posts
1581 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Too bad he's not in Ottawa. Need to get one for my place before the winter. Does having a tankless water heater with PVC water lines complicate the install?
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
Not an expert on HRV/ ERV units but from my understanding, HRV reduces humidity by exchanging more moist indoor air with dry outdoor air.
A humidifier is required to add relative humidity to the house.
zlqian wrote: My house already has a HEAT RECOVERY VENTILATION (HRV) UNIT. Do I still need to put a central humidifier such as Aprilair 600M? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
I am humbled. You can easily use below fitting with PEX water lines to feed your fridge / humidifier
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sharkb ... 1000860429 ( no tools required other than a good pipe cutter)

Similar fitting is available for PEX if you have a crimping tool
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/wate ... #store=653

Above fittings are also available in 3/4 beside 1/2" but are substantially expensive.

ZxExN wrote: Too bad he's not in Ottawa. Need to get one for my place before the winter. Does having a tankless water heater with PVC water lines complicate the install?
Jan 20, 2019
316 posts
569 upvotes
Ajax, ON
My feedback for Ash from Fair deal Heating and Cooling. I had him to install Aprilaire 600M. Installation was clean, on time. He was happy to answer my question for Humidifier as well as any general HVAC question that I asked. Many pros don't like that.
He took care of extras like arranging hanging cables, hoses around furnace, not many pros would care.

Price is fair, since his work is backed by many RFDers and I needed piece of mind for the Job. It met my expectations.

I recommend them.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1047 posts
677 upvotes
GTA
Humidifiers tend to be automatically installed, whether needed or not.

There's a "every house needs humidification" myth - originated from dealing with older homes with high air leakage and gas appliances that continuously vent indoor air outside when off and also use it for combustion.
Ignorant "30 years of experience, trust me" type people can pass on their ignorance.
(these people also tend to oversize furnaces, based on out-dated experience)

The reality is that many homes are tight enough so that the moisture generated from cooking and showering is sufficient to maintain a comfortable humidity level of the house. Many new homes are so tight, they require an HRV or other form of ventilation to remove pollutants and excess moisture.

If a tight home with an HRV feels too dry in winter, it is probably being over-ventilated. The first step is to reduce hrv use to the minimum - low speed, intermittent.

(An ERV recovers some of the moisture -> used in hot, humid climates to minimize amount of humidity coming into home. May have other good uses.)

If a looser home with no active ventilation aside from exhaust fans is too dry, the first step should be to tighten it up, budget permitting.

Adding a humidifier should be a last resort.
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1047 posts
677 upvotes
GTA
fourseasoncomfort wrote: The saddle valves that come with the humidifier will leak over time. Please ensure your contractor is using a proper plumbing fitting.
Yes, they can also jam up/get stuck and become impossible to close
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)