Whole house Reno - how to start?
Our Reno list is as follows:
- entire kitchen with counter depth fridge, new cook top and separate ovens
- entire flooring for main floor
- 3 washrooms (vanities, flooring, tub, shower— the toilet is the only thing that we can salvage as we recently updated them)
- entire staircase
- popcorn ceiling removal
- paint entire house
- basement finishing (we may have to wait some time for this Reno as it’s not as urgent as the above items).
So my question is.. where do I begin?! I’ve been wanting to do this for so long but never know where to begin. The research gets overwhelming.. and it doesn’t help that we recently had a baby.
- do I hire a general contractor or specialists for each area (kitchen, flooring, washrooms, stairs)?
- do I do it all together or break it up in chunks .. what would be most efficient cost and time wise?
- how much time am I looking at? I would have to consider staying at my moms during the process but kids start school in September so I have to keep that in mind.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
If anyone has any tried and tested contacts they can pass along I would be very grateful.