Automotive

Who's looking at buying a summer car given lockdown?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2021 1:03 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12048 posts
2381 upvotes
Toronto

Who's looking at buying a summer car given lockdown?

So with WFH for forseeable future, no travel likely (money saved from it), any options for summer will be full if you haven't booked already (camping, cottage), was just curious who's considering buying that summer car for fun.

Could be a beater, a car you had growing up, just something you've always been curious about, to a YOLO move, just something different to break out of the mundane and take advantage of this time. Maybe you'll look to sell it again, or keep it well maintained for the long-haul.
136 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2441 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Got mine this week, mazda 3 2.5L turbo in metallic red. Would've never considered anything other than an ecobox with less than 150hp before this.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14079 posts
9290 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Looking to trade the Lambo for a Ferraro.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16688 posts
15099 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Looking to trade the Lambo for a Ferraro.
I'm looking to upgrade my Porsche to a Hyundai. Heard they are hot!
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2536 posts
309 upvotes
Mississauga
I just need to save a bit more, I can buy a RR hahaha
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29363 posts
9947 upvotes
What do you mean "WFH for the forseeable future"? Tons of people are still working bro, consider yourself lucky you get to "WFH for the forseeable future". The "lockdown" has no effect on businesses other than retail and those with other public interaction. Private companies are free to be running/open/working and people are still going into the office everyday as usual.

Anyway I bought my summer car last fall (thread on it here) and glad I did it when I did because I got it for cheap :D ...And have you seen used car values recently? :eek: I could sell the same car back now for more money. Crazy.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1334 posts
1268 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Already have one car that sits in the driveway and seldom moves. Do I need another?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29363 posts
9947 upvotes
booblehead wrote: picking mine up tomorrow Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Oooh a new Porsche? :D
KevinM56081 wrote: Already have one car that sits in the driveway and seldom moves. Do I need another?
No such thing as too many cars, only "not enough money :( "

:lol:
Oct 25, 2020
273 posts
196 upvotes
I'm dumping money into my car prepping it for auto-x and light track work this summer.

Hoping covid doesn't cancel the events.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16688 posts
15099 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ES_Revenge wrote: What do you mean "WFH for the forseeable future"? Tons of people are still working bro, consider yourself lucky you get to "WFH for the forseeable future". The "lockdown" has no effect on businesses other than retail and those with other public interaction. Private companies are free to be running/open/working and people are still going into the office everyday as usual.

Anyway I bought my summer car last fall (thread on it here) and glad I did it when I did because I got it for cheap :D ...And have you seen used car values recently? :eek: I could sell the same car back now for more money. Crazy.
And here on RFD so many were betting on fire sales with new cars and used LOLOLOL
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5420 posts
3861 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I would say good luck trying to find a decent priced summer car. Everything worth getting is stupid expensive or you can't find any at all. My friend been trying to find a decently priced E92 m3 but it's like impossible. S2000s are pretty much non existent.
Last edited by bomber17 on Apr 16th, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4509 posts
483 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Yup looking for a gen 10 Honda Accord as we speak.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1334 posts
1268 upvotes
Clarington, ON
ES_Revenge wrote:

No such thing as too many cars, only "not enough money :( "

:lol:
Also, not enough driveway/garage. :D
Mar 22, 2004
557 posts
344 upvotes
London, ON
Prices for everything are going through the roof (despite the gov't insisting that there is no inflation -- topic for another thread). "Fun" vehicles including RVs, boats and cars are skyrocketing in price. I picked up a C6 Corvette last spring (I was on the hunt for a few years), and I'm glad I did. Prices have increased 30-40%.

A buddy picked up a 911 for $14k, sold it yesterday for $34k.

I have zero idea where everything is going at this point, but I feel like we are seeing highs right now. Not saying "don't go for it", since YOLO is real, but at the same time, if you think you'll be getting a bargain because nobody is driving, you would be incorrect. I do a lot of car window shopping, and the price increases are staggering for anything that isn't a run of the mill car.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16688 posts
15099 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ncnmra wrote: Prices for everything are going through the roof (despite the gov't insisting that there is no inflation -- topic for another thread). "Fun" vehicles including RVs, boats and cars are skyrocketing in price. I picked up a C6 Corvette last spring (I was on the hunt for a few years), and I'm glad I did. Prices have increased 30-40%.

A buddy picked up a 911 for $14k, sold it yesterday for $34k.

I have zero idea where everything is going at this point, but I feel like we are seeing highs right now. Not saying "don't go for it", since YOLO is real, but at the same time, if you think you'll be getting a bargain because nobody is driving, you would be incorrect. I do a lot of car window shopping, and the price increases are staggering for anything that isn't a run of the mill car.
WTH 911 did you buddy pick up for $14k? Did it have a missing engine?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1744 posts
1183 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Was looking for a 3rd Gen Camaro/Firebird but people are asking insane money and half the time they don't even reply on Kijiji or Auto Trader.

Oh well, not something I really need anyway.

Nov 26, 2020
3 posts
2 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: What do you mean "WFH for the forseeable future"? Tons of people are still working bro, consider yourself lucky you get to "WFH for the forseeable future". The "lockdown" has no effect on businesses other than retail and those with other public interaction. Private companies are free to be running/open/working and people are still going into the office everyday as usual.

Well this is disheartening to hear but thanks for sharing.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1744 posts
1183 upvotes
Southern Ontario
ES_Revenge wrote: Anyway I bought my summer car last fall (thread on it here) and glad I did it when I did because I got it for cheap :D ...And have you seen used car values recently? :eek: I could sell the same car back now for more money. Crazy.
This is true, especially for Classics and Collector cars. The market has gone nuts. If you have something somewhat collectable, you could make thousands on it just by flipping it from last year. Of course, it has to be mint condition, not a 76' Impala with a rusted out frame - that's still junk.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16831 posts
18545 upvotes
Oakville
EP32k2 wrote: WTH 911 did you buddy pick up for $14k? Did it have a missing engine?
+1!
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.