Automotive

Who's looking at buying a summer car given lockdown?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2021 1:03 am
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
27447 posts
7125 upvotes
Hamilton
Not a car but a “cottage on wheel” is what I like to call it.

Lol
$35/10GB Koodo
$40/10GB Koodo
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1169 posts
1053 upvotes
ON
ES_Revenge wrote: Oooh a new Porsche? :D

No such thing as too many cars, only "not enough money :( "

:lol:
Yeah....and soon there’ll be a thread on rfd, ‘how can I widen my driveway to fit in more cars.’
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17003 posts
15615 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Holystone wrote: Yeah....and soon there’ll be a thread on rfd, ‘how can I widen my driveway to fit in more cars.’
Or can I park on "my" boulevard"... never mind that one is taken already LOL
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12255 posts
2449 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: What do you mean "WFH for the forseeable future"? Tons of people are still working bro, consider yourself lucky you get to "WFH for the forseeable future". The "lockdown" has no effect on businesses other than retail and those with other public interaction. Private companies are free to be running/open/working and people are still going into the office everyday as usual.

Anyway I bought my summer car last fall (thread on it here) and glad I did it when I did because I got it for cheap :D ...And have you seen used car values recently? :eek: I could sell the same car back now for more money. Crazy.
Big banks had a June return date but it's been pushed back, and that's only still tentatively. Many others as well. There's 200K plus in the financial district, most WFH. Then Yonge n Bloor area has a lot (Rogers, Manulife, big CIBC building and BMO one). Then add in all the Government offices still WFH, and it's much longer or more adopted. Then tech companies everywhere WFH even longer to permanent, which is one of Ontario's largest employers.

That's a pretty material group there. Then just announced, no overnight stays for Camping (I have a site booked next month and that might be doubt now). So the prospect of getting a 'side' car is more appealing as a WFHer vs last year where it seemed more likely back to office was closer and companies seemingly more firm on it. Even opening offices in Halifax sooner.

Fortunately the stuff I'm looking at isn't sporty or in quite high demand as old imports. The other issue is the few I'm looking at is far far away. So getting it to Toronto is also an issue.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12255 posts
2449 upvotes
Toronto
ncnmra wrote: Prices for everything are going through the roof (despite the gov't insisting that there is no inflation -- topic for another thread). "Fun" vehicles including RVs, boats and cars are skyrocketing in price. I picked up a C6 Corvette last spring (I was on the hunt for a few years), and I'm glad I did. Prices have increased 30-40%.

A buddy picked up a 911 for $14k, sold it yesterday for $34k.

I have zero idea where everything is going at this point, but I feel like we are seeing highs right now. Not saying "don't go for it", since YOLO is real, but at the same time, if you think you'll be getting a bargain because nobody is driving, you would be incorrect. I do a lot of car window shopping, and the price increases are staggering for anything that isn't a run of the mill car.
Alot of folks prob got loaded off crypto so having some fun with it. I'm up (not huge or anything) so that's factoring in. Why chase all this moolah. My properties are doing well but still find it hard to 'reward' myself (immigrant mentality who's still influenced by parents that still think a bomb is around the corner).
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12255 posts
2449 upvotes
Toronto
Gibsons wrote: This is true, especially for Classics and Collector cars. The market has gone nuts. If you have something somewhat collectable, you could make thousands on it just by flipping it from last year. Of course, it has to be mint condition, not a 76' Impala with a rusted out frame - that's still junk.
Huge plus for ready to roll and enjoy rides. Season is still way too short. Nobody wants to be fixing, chasing down parts.
yao416 wrote: Not a car but a “cottage on wheel” is what I like to call it.

Lol
Many ppl having trouble finding places to park their RVs or trailers to enjoy. Everything is booked.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
27447 posts
7125 upvotes
Hamilton
at1212b wrote: Huge plus for ready to roll and enjoy rides. Season is still way too short. Nobody wants to be fixing, chasing down parts.

Many ppl having trouble finding places to park their RVs or trailers to enjoy. Everything is booked.
I know Loudly Crying FaceLoudly Crying Face

Maybe hit up a Walmart in the middle of nowhere!
$35/10GB Koodo
$40/10GB Koodo
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12255 posts
2449 upvotes
Toronto
Its dawned on me inflation is really everywhere but in places for enjoyment or investment. It's all a matter of who moves first that really benefits.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1186 posts
681 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I'm always on the hunt to add another classic/collector car to my collection.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12255 posts
2449 upvotes
Toronto
Bianco13 wrote: I'm always on the hunt to add another classic/collector car to my collection.
How or where do you store them?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1186 posts
681 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
at1212b wrote: How or where do you store them?
In my garage and my parent's garage... I'm currently looking for a garage (which comes with a house, lol) where I can store them all under the same roof.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5509 posts
3931 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
at1212b wrote: Its dawned on me inflation is really everywhere but in places for enjoyment or investment. It's all a matter of who moves first that really benefits.
That's actually inflation at play. Ppl are moving disposable cash into tangible and intangible assets due to fear of inflation. Investments and collectibles are hedges against inflation. Buy a car now worth $50k. Hyper inflation sets in and your car is worth $400k. But if you sit on cash, your $50k is still 50k. Plus, you can sell your car to other countries and get their currency. Same goes for crypto, stock market and the housing market.
Dec 25, 2007
560 posts
464 upvotes
Vancouver
EP32k2 wrote: WTH 911 did you buddy pick up for $14k? Did it have a missing engine?
Sounds... unlikely. Even a miled out 996 with no IMS update would go for more than that now. I think even a few years ago they were in the low 20s. Probably back into the 30s now. I've noticed a lot of PCA folks have picked one up lately as a beater sports car.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17003 posts
15615 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sneek wrote: Sounds... unlikely. Even a miled out 996 with no IMS update would go for more than that now. I think even a few years ago they were in the low 20s. Probably back into the 30s now. I've noticed a lot of PCA folks have picked one up lately as a beater sports car.
Yup would have to be clapped out 996 and even then under $20k is highly unlikely. 996 have gone up a lot in the past year.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
1019 posts
441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Been itching to add Miata for the second time to my collection. Thanks god, I need to pay for a parking spot for and it has been a main deterrant so far lol.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
7107 posts
5968 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: What do you mean "WFH for the forseeable future"? Tons of people are still working bro, consider yourself lucky you get to "WFH for the forseeable future". The "lockdown" has no effect on businesses other than retail and those with other public interaction. Private companies are free to be running/open/working and people are still going into the office everyday as usual.
I have a feeling going forward if a company won't offer WFH option for desk jockeys, it will not get any talents working for them. It's gonna suck for commercial property owners.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
7146 posts
4049 upvotes
Vancouver
I was looking at used porsches for awhile and the pricing was insane. 5-6 year old cars selling for about 10% lower than MSRP. Now I'm looking at used Lotus Evoras and my wife thinks I'm crazy, lol
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12255 posts
2449 upvotes
Toronto
notenoughsleep wrote: I was looking at used porsches for awhile and the pricing was insane. 5-6 year old cars selling for about 10% lower than MSRP. Now I'm looking at used Lotus Evoras and my wife thinks I'm crazy, lol
Tell her YOLO! I'm thinking of shipping a car over. Older American though (80s so not collectible) so cheap, but definitely more then it was 10-15 years ago let's say. I thought the prices of these would stay low but has gone up actually since it's more scarce now vs being junked
before. Based on your inclination, I'm definitely going to tell my wife mine is a great deal.
Feb 12, 2006
943 posts
530 upvotes
If anyone is interested, I may be selling my E92 N54 market rate or slightly below - $14k. PM Me for deets
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30088 posts
16111 upvotes
Toronto
notenoughsleep wrote: I was looking at used porsches for awhile and the pricing was insane. 5-6 year old cars selling for about 10% lower than MSRP. Now I'm looking at used Lotus Evoras and my wife thinks I'm crazy, lol
You may have some competition, my buddy is looking at the same Winking Face. He’s been searching for a lotus for the last 3 yrs (on and off)