Automotive

Who's looking at buying a summer car given lockdown?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2021 1:03 am
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17019 posts
15638 upvotes
Richmond Hill
lechan wrote: Interesting they you would consider a Mazda 3 as a summer car, but I would pick the ND mx5 as a summer car over a Mazda 3 a 1000 times even if it is slower and with less horse power.
ND miata is fantastic. My brother has one and it’s a blast to drive.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22383 posts
3681 upvotes
Toronto
sigh...................I just sold my 6spd VW Tiguan, while not an exotic or sports car, the darn car was peppy and fun - I loved taking it out for a spin on the highway & getting groceries...............it was just so fun.

Thinking of picking up a used GTI (6spd).................I see some high mileage used ones on Kijiji for reasonable prices, don't really care about the kms - just want to make sure there aren't costly maintenance items in the short term.

Damn turbo 4cyl VWs are fun to drive but costly to maintain & the rust!!!

Wifey would kill me though - she was the one that insisted I sell the Tiguan.......

or a used Mustang (never drove one) but prices are crazy right now

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12333 posts
2488 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: or a used Mustang (never drove one) but prices are crazy right now
Any particular generation?
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22383 posts
3681 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote: Any particular generation?
I like the fifth generation (2005 - 2009)..............looks great, nice balance of classic look & modern!

The newer ones are too modern imo....

Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4107 posts
1166 upvotes
Brampton
ji2o0k wrote: I like the fifth generation (2005 - 2009)..............looks great, nice balance of classic look & modern!

The newer ones are too modern imo....
Those are the 4.6L though. I would go for 2011+ with the 5.0 coyote.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1191 posts
690 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
prod wrote: Those are the 4.6L though. I would go for 2011+ with the 5.0 coyote.
Agreed! @ji2o0k if you can swing it, pay extra and get the 5.0.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
29924 posts
10643 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: sigh...................I just sold my 6spd VW Tiguan, while not an exotic or sports car, the darn car was peppy and fun - I loved taking it out for a spin on the highway & getting groceries...............it was just so fun.

Thinking of picking up a used GTI (6spd).................I see some high mileage used ones on Kijiji for reasonable prices, don't really care about the kms - just want to make sure there aren't costly maintenance items in the short term.
Get an .:R, call it a day :P
ji2o0k wrote: Damn turbo 4cyl VWs are fun to drive but costly to maintain & the rust!!!
Rust? On a VW? I mean it's not like they never rust but this isn't a Mazda we're talking about here lol. Did you have rust issues with your Tig?

ji2o0k wrote: Wifey would kill me though - she was the one that insisted I sell the Tiguan.......
In that case might want to forget about your hopes and dreams lol.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22383 posts
3681 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: Rust? On a VW? I mean it's not like they never rust but this isn't a Mazda we're talking about here lol. Did you have rust issues with your Tig?
I did have rust issues on the Tig - took it to RHill VW for the rust corrosion warranty coverage & they replaced the hood, front driver door & rear passenger door. They also fixed the rear quarter panel.

I had weird rust forming on top of the windshield which they denied as well as rust starting to bubble in the door jambs which they also denied.

I was going to take them to small claims court over this but wifey said forget it - just sell the darn thing & be done with it...........

Jul 18, 2020
622 posts
956 upvotes
booblehead wrote:

Picked up today Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Congrats, beautiful car, maybe you would like to blur out your license plate #.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30210 posts
16335 upvotes
Toronto
Thx. No need to cover the plate.

Carreras R Zippy Cars (CRZC)
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
29924 posts
10643 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Carreras R Zippy Cars (CRZC)
Haha very nice and congrats on the new car!

I remember wanting a "BMTH" series plate when I started seeing those around...though this has nothing to do with cars (music related lol).
Banned
Mar 13, 2019
330 posts
214 upvotes
My summer car is in climate controlled storage for the future, bought a boat and the motor is backordered
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
1779 posts
1139 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
booblehead wrote: Thx. No need to cover the plate.

Carreras R Zippy Cars (CRZC)
I saw a FAAF 004 and thought to myself “...they dropped the silent P”
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2003
1275 posts
154 upvotes
I’ll probably get mocked for this or ignored, but I’ve always wanted a Monte Carlo SS, and not that abomination from the 2000s. And very specifically a black one with t-roof.

I casually check Kijiji periodically but realistically I won’t even consider it until the house is paid off and the kids are done university.

Also there’s my wife who is completely against it. She’s said to me more than once ‘you can have it all you want but you can’t park it here’. She joking of course but I find that line funny.
Jun 11, 2006
114 posts
204 upvotes
Lakefield
Prices are up for mostly everything. For collector cars, the place to sell was the US market years ago. The Canadian market didn't have the buyers as the US did. Now Cnd. prices are up but US prices are too. Typically I see prices around 40% higher in the US and a strong desire for cars. Trouble is getting cars to the market down there. A long time ago, the US old car prices weren't too bad and the US/Cnd exchange rate was near par. It was a good time to buy.
Back to the present, house prices where I live have doubled in 5-6 years. Way too steep of an increase versus the years and I feel sorry future people looking to buy a house.
I'm lucky to own 3 classic cars. I've had my original paint GMC for 33 years now. My project car for 17 years and the wagon for 5 years. My project will be the last car I build. Just getting too old(physically). I've been able to free up some time to get back working on it.
72 GMC.jpg
PXL_20200926_155921365 (1).jpg
DSC_0010-1.jpg
PXL_20210324_140932739.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6321 posts
734 upvotes
BC
nabiul wrote: Got mine this week, mazda 3 2.5L turbo in metallic red. Would've never considered anything other than an ecobox with less than 150hp before this.
I waited 2 months for the metallic grey, absolutely love this car!!!
Images
  • IMG_3200.JPG
That's my 2cents worth
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12333 posts
2488 upvotes
Toronto
shane65 wrote: Prices are up for mostly everything. For collector cars, the place to sell was the US market years ago. The Canadian market didn't have the buyers as the US did. Now Cnd. prices are up but US prices are too. Typically I see prices around 40% higher in the US and a strong desire for cars. Trouble is getting cars to the market down there. A long time ago, the US old car prices weren't too bad and the US/Cnd exchange rate was near par. It was a good time to buy.
Back to the present, house prices where I live have doubled in 5-6 years. Way too steep of an increase versus the years and I feel sorry future people looking to buy a house.
I'm lucky to own 3 classic cars. I've had my original paint GMC for 33 years now. My project car for 17 years and the wagon for 5 years. My project will be the last car I build. Just getting too old(physically). I've been able to free up some time to get back working on it.

72 GMC.jpg

PXL_20200926_155921365 (1).jpg

DSC_0010-1.jpg

PXL_20210324_140932739.jpg
Beautiful! My sister in-law bought a cottage around there 5 years ago, and yes, that area was a 'hidden' place then.

I definitely agree. I'm into 80s American and the price increase in last few years in US is crazy (on a relative basis). Especially for any dealers that sell em. Canada too, but US, and especially with exchange rate is crazy. The pimp my ride culture really took hold too for certain GM bodies. Alot more 80s and 90s nostalgia now that those people who drove em are in their mid-life years.

This 1960s station wagon literally few off the shelf.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/ha ... 1561279090

There was another 80s Caprice Wagon in good condition that also few off, but probably considered a great deal by US standards. It seems vintage station wagons are super hot where just a few years ago, it wasn't. Is it this recent 'RV' 'Van' craze culture that's also increased the demand for station wagons I wonder?