Automotive

Who's looking at buying a summer car given lockdown?

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2021 1:03 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 31, 2008
12215 posts
2432 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: 8900 RPM redline, light, convertible, great handling, iconic tuner car.
Oh yeaa, now I remember the "9k" redline it was known for despite 'low' HP. I remember around 2000 early (back in my university hey days driving around alot, going out), these things were quite common. Then in more recent years, I was surprised to hear how it had such a 'collectible' following.

I'm curious to know the background of why ppl want em so much. Was it just too expensive for them at the time? Was it a childhood wish car?
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
7077 posts
3969 upvotes
Vancouver
EP32k2 wrote: That sounds like a civc under 4000rpm and no power till 6k LOL
There was a reason why these cars had so many owners in the early years. I've had plenty of seat time, like I said fantastic transmission and handling was great. The power plant though... Just like the love for the Integra Type R, my brother recently picked one up and for that kind of money I just don't get it. Also had some seat time with these back in the day since I had a couple of friends that owned them and even they don't understand the hype now LOL
Are all these buyers in their 30s and having nostalgia? Back in high school, everyone was driving a Civic SiR, Integra GS-R/Type-R, or Prelude SH Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
30040 posts
16041 upvotes
Toronto
Camaro/iroc z28, mustangs were much more common back in my high school days
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 31, 2008
12215 posts
2432 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: Camaro/iroc z28, mustangs were much more common back in my high school days
Earlier 90s?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16972 posts
15573 upvotes
Richmond Hill
notenoughsleep wrote: Are all these buyers in their 30s and having nostalgia? Back in high school, everyone was driving a Civic SiR, Integra GS-R/Type-R, or Prelude SH Face With Tears Of Joy
Real talk! LOL. I had a 5th Gen Lude and SiR LOLOLOL
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
17142 posts
19046 upvotes
Oakville
EP32k2 wrote:
That sounds like a civc under 4000rpm and no power till 6k LOL
There was a reason why these cars had so many owners in the early years. I've had plenty of seat time, like I said fantastic transmission and handling was great. The power plant though... Just like the love for the Integra Type R, my brother recently picked one up and for that kind of money I just don't get it. Also had some seat time with these back in the day since I had a couple of friends that owned them and even they don't understand the hype now LOL
at1212b wrote: Oh yeaa, now I remember the "9k" redline it was known for despite 'low' HP. I remember around 2000 early (back in my university hey days driving around alot, going out), these things were quite common. Then in more recent years, I was surprised to hear how it had such a 'collectible' following.

I'm curious to know the background of why ppl want em so much. Was it just too expensive for them at the time? Was it a childhood wish car?
You're right. Back then it made 240hp which was pretty good for the time. No torque though.
9000rpm is still pretty rare today. Today's BRZ/GT86 only match it at lower RPM. Miata is lighter with less power until recently. It also has Honda reliability.

Like other tuner cars, it became more desirable with tuner culture/Fast and Furious.

Many were ruined by ricers, so a clean S2000 is hard to find.
Last edited by engineered on Apr 28th, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16972 posts
15573 upvotes
Richmond Hill
engineered wrote: You're right. Back then it made 200hp which was pretty good for the time.
9000rpm is still pretty rare today. Today's BRZ/GT86 only match it at lower RPM. Miata is lighter with less power until recently. It also has Honda reliability.

Like other tuner cars, it became more desirable with tuner culture/Fast and Furious.

Many were ruined by ricers, so a clean S2000 is hard to find.
It made somewhere around 240hp and yes high RPM cars are rare since forever. I see an idiot ricer near me with a hideous huge wing on his and slammed. Best way to ruin a S2000 is by lowering it... Factory handling was superb
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
1666 posts
1061 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
engineered wrote: You're right. Back then it made 200hp which was pretty good for the time.
9000rpm is still pretty rare today. Today's BRZ/GT86 only match it at lower RPM. Miata is lighter with less power until recently. It also has Honda reliability.

Like other tuner cars, it became more desirable with tuner culture/Fast and Furious.

Many were ruined by ricers, so a clean S2000 is hard to find.
My insurance broker owned a stock very clean S2000 since new that was rear ended by some pizza delivery kid and written off. Such a shame.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
17142 posts
19046 upvotes
Oakville
EP32k2 wrote: It made somewhere around 240hp and yes high RPM cars are rare since forever. I see an idiot ricer near me with a hideous huge wing on his and slammed. Best way to ruin a S2000 is by lowering it... Factory handling was superb
Yes, that's right, it was 240hp/153ft.lbs and 9000rpm in the AP1 and 240hp/162ft.lbs and 8200rpm in the AP2. Just makes the BRZ/GT86 look even more sad.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_S20 ... ifications
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 23, 2015
1182 posts
677 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
at1212b wrote: I'm curious to know the background of why ppl want em so much. Was it just too expensive for them at the time? Was it a childhood wish car?
Myself, it was my high school dream car (Foxbody Mustang) plus it's an iconic car from back in the day. At the time I couldn't afford it, but thankfully I was able to get my hands on a mint one about 5 years ago before the market completely dried up and the prices went through the roof.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5503 posts
3917 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
EP32k2 wrote: Yup I don't get the hype for the S2000, but it does have one of the best manual transmissions! My father may be able to buy back his AP1 that has just over 100k on it now for under $20k. Told him to not even think about it and just buy it!!!

Enjoy!
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16972 posts
15573 upvotes
Richmond Hill
bomber17 wrote:
He does make some excellent points with regards to how cramped and loud the car is, but that's really it. He never even touched on how it handles :facepalm: Power wise, yeah it sucks by todays standards but for it's time it was adequate but not great. Like any high strung Honda engine you need to go down at least 2 gears and rev it out so he's a bit of a tool complaining about that. This car like how majority vtec engines are geared, the sweet spot is 3rd gear at highway speeds. Also him complaining about the seats sucking? Really? I found them fine, but I do agree with the footwell being cramped.

Pretty shitty video overall, but at least he wasn't a Honda fanboi saying everything is perfect LOL
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5503 posts
3917 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
EP32k2 wrote: He does make some excellent points with regards to how cramped and loud the car is, but that's really it. He never even touched on how it handles :facepalm: Power wise, yeah it sucks by todays standards but for it's time it was adequate but not great. Like any high strung Honda engine you need to go down at least 2 gears and rev it out so he's a bit of a tool complaining about that. This car like how majority vtec engines are geared, the sweet spot is 3rd gear at highway speeds. Also him complaining about the seats sucking? Really? I found them fine, but I do agree with the footwell being cramped.

Pretty shitty video overall, but at least he wasn't a Honda fanboi saying everything is perfect LOL
Yah you don't buy this car to be fast LOL. Same with the Miata. The funny thing is, compared to cars of its era, it wasn't slow. It kept up with Z4, Boxsters, SLK etc. I'm a small guy so I fit in fine. The comments echo the same response. He literally just drove highway whole time. Should've actually took it to some winding mountain roads where I'm actually enjoying the s2000. I bought a low mileage car with price too good to pass on hence why I jumped at it. With the prices going as they are, I'm going to profit from it. Downside is, I can't really mod it.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16972 posts
15573 upvotes
Richmond Hill
bomber17 wrote: Yah you don't buy this car to be fast LOL. Same with the Miata. The funny thing is, compared to cars of its era, it wasn't slow. It kept up with Z4, Boxsters, SLK etc. I'm a small guy so I fit in fine. The comments echo the same response. He literally just drove highway whole time. Should've actually took it to some winding mountain roads where I'm actually enjoying the s2000. I bought a low mileage car with price too good to pass on hence why I jumped at it. With the prices going as they are, I'm going to profit from it. Downside is, I can't really mod it.
Yup power is fine and stock suspension setup in the AP1 is best for the first couple of years. After that Honda tweaked the rear suspension because a lot of idiots were spinning out in intersections because they didn't know how to drive...
Never liked the looks or interior of the S2k, but I certainly respect Honda's development and sadly they never made a 2nd generation. It's a great platform and instead they make disgustingly horrible cars now.
Member
Feb 8, 2010
491 posts
404 upvotes
nabiul wrote: Got mine this week, mazda 3 2.5L turbo in metallic red. Would've never considered anything other than an ecobox with less than 150hp before this.
How much is the 2.5t ? I am just curious, the website price is quite high.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1051 posts
857 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Just going to rip around in my $500 90whp 05 Civic coupe. The manual transmission in it is pretty slick. So slow on highway that dropping to 3rd to pass is pointless, may as well remain in 5th gear on cruise control. I can accelerate faster without even using the gas pedal in this car LOL - the "Resume Speed" button on the steering wheel comes in handy. It's basically throttle control at my fingertips. I can hold it down and it will accelerate until I let off. Just like the gas pedal. Or "decel/coast set" button is to slow down via engine braking. Minimal maintenance required. Extremely cheap on fuel. Cheap insurance. Set of rims with tires was $200 on Kijiji. $13 gallon of oil, and $1 Rockauto oil filters.

Going to run my beaters in to the ground while having fun with them and tinkering a little. Current fleet is 1998 Sienna (with remote start!), 2004 Jeep Liberty, 07 Fit, and two 04/05 Civics. Paid combined total of ~7k for this fine collection. They should last me until the Cybertruck has had its first year of gremlins worked out.

Giving the Fit to my GF. Might offload the two Civics and go for a FG/FA Civic Si I've always wanted - I love them. 8300 redline K20Z3. Good seats/ergonomics. Amazing shifter. Great handling. Last of the analog NA high revving Honda's.

I do have my eyes on a 83 Camaro 5.0L w/ stick shift just because its been sitting at my work for a couple years. I'd love to LS swap and race/drag/summer daily it.

Top