• May 23rd, 2019 6:19 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 23, 2014
348 posts
147 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

why is air coming out of my faucet?

For the past few weeks air has been coming out of the faucet in my basement utility sink. It is constantly making a hissing sound. When I turn on the taps the water DOES NOT sputter, the water flow is normal.

Prior to this hissing sound, this faucet was constantly dripping even after I replaced the washer. The water stopped dripping (just on its own) but now I have this air coming out and creating this annoying hissing sound.

Any ideas what's causing this and how to fix it?
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
Theres probably a trap seal primer line attached to the laundry faucet and the “air” you hear is actually a slow amount of water flowing through it. Did you just replace the faucet cartridge washers, or did you replace the seats as well?
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Aug 23, 2014
348 posts
147 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
6AF3E87C-6FCD-4A42-AD13-D3F639F3D490.jpeg
Red_Army wrote: Theres probably a trap seal primer line attached to the laundry faucet and the “air” you hear is actually a slow amount of water flowing through it. Did you just replace the faucet cartridge washers, or did you replace the seats as well?
I think you’re right. I do have a primer line.

No, I did not replace the faucets seats when I replaced the washers. Is that causing the water to constantly flow through the primer line?

How difficult is it to replace the faucets seats? Do I need a plumber for this job? Above is a picture of the faucet. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
Jedi14 wrote: 6AF3E87C-6FCD-4A42-AD13-D3F639F3D490.jpeg

I think you’re right. I do have a primer line.

No, I did not replace the faucets seats when I replaced the washers. Is that causing the water to constantly flow through the primer line?

How difficult is it to replace the faucets seats? Do I need a plumber for this job? Above is a picture of the faucet. Thank you.
I am definitely right. The 1/4” blue poly line attached to the underside of you faucet is the primer line.
If you did not replace the seats then that is most likely the issue . The faucet seat is where the rubber cartridge washer compressed against to seal/shut off the water flow. A worn out/rough seat will compromise this seal no matter how many times you change the washer . Most if not all faucets if this nature have removable seats, but there are still some that are not. Turn off the water and remove the cartridge and look inside the body. You will see a circular piece off brass which is the seat and if removable will have an internal hex shape made for a seat wrench.

Whether or not you need a plumber is dependent on what you’re capable of. The fact that you have already been able to remove the cartridge to replace the washer leans towards you being able to do this yourself. All you would need is a faucet seat wrench. (A deep Allen key would also work if you already have one). From the looks of it your faucet is made by emco in which parts are easily available at almost anywhere that sells faucet parts
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide