Personal Finance

Why is it almost impossible to pay some cards...

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2013 11:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--

Why is it almost impossible to pay some cards...

I have a card that I need to pay $2397.83 on by Oct 25.

I went to the store that I got the card from today to pay it off and they said I can't pay in store..

I then went to RBC (my bank) but they were closed.

I then went to TD and they said unless I have an account with TD, I can't pay it at any branch

Online banking. I called the company that gives out the cards and all I could find was TDFS-EVERY COMPANY. The company I was looking for (Michael Hill) was not on there. The person on the phone said to just select any company as long as it has TDFS in it and the payment will go through.

That I don't trust at all. Hopefully RBC can help me tomorrow. Have any of you had this issue before?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2712 posts
678 upvotes
Burlington
Go to RBC tomorrow...not worth the risk. "select any company"...really? Not worth my $2397.83, that's for sure.
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
1 to 2 of 2 possible payee matches for 'MICHAEL HILL'
MICHAEL HILL
MICHAEL HILL JEWELLERS - HSBC

This is what I get when I search Michael Hill on both RBC and BMO online banking.
Are you sure you're spelling Michael correctly? a before the e?

Is TDFS the financier or HSBC?
Can you believe it? They sent my income tax return forms back to me! In response to question # 4, "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack heads, 4.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons, and 650 idiots in Parliament.
Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.

Who the hell did I miss? :razz:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
Urgent business policy and how they operate should not be the fault of your inability to properly organize your own personal dysfunctions

lol @clownboys profile
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
wayne74 wrote: 1 to 2 of 2 possible payee matches for 'MICHAEL HILL'
MICHAEL HILL
MICHAEL HILL JEWELLERS - HSBC

This is what I get when I search Michael Hill on both RBC and BMO online banking.
Are you sure you're spelling Michael correctly? a before the e?

Is TDFS the financier or HSBC?
The HSBC one comes up for me but TDFS is the financier, doesn't show up.

Poster above me. How does me organizing my finances play into this when I can't even pay it.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
You should have received disclosure on how to service the account when you got the card 'or' you should have inquired about the process when you went to the store.(today)
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
d'err.. thanks mikeymike. Awesome post as always. Super helpful. 10/10.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1913 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
XtremeModder wrote: I have a card that I need to pay $2397.83 on by Oct 25.

I went to the store that I got the card from today to pay it off and they said I can't pay in store..

I then went to RBC (my bank) but they were closed.

I then went to TD and they said unless I have an account with TD, I can't pay it at any branch

Online banking. I called the company that gives out the cards and all I could find was TDFS-EVERY COMPANY. The company I was looking for (Michael Hill) was not on there. The person on the phone said to just select any company as long as it has TDFS in it and the payment will go through.

That I don't trust at all. Hopefully RBC can help me tomorrow. Have any of you had this issue before?
Sorry I am having comprehension difficulty for yet another day. Please correct me if I am wrong.
You have a Michael Hill store card with amount of $2397.83 due by Oct 25.

You went to a Michael Hill store to pay the amount due. The staff at the store said you can't pay in store.

You went to RBC (your bank) but they were closed when you got there.

You then went to TD. You have no business relationship with TD, it declined to help you.

(RBC) online banking. You called Michael Hill, it told you to pay the payee with name "TDFS-EVERY COMANY". You insisted to look for Michael Hill as payee. The Michael Hill phone representative told you to just select any company as payee, as long as it has name "TDFS" in it and the payment will go through.

You don't trust the Michael Hill phone representative at all. You are hoping RBC can help you in branch tomorrow. You are asking if anyone on RFD has had such issue before.
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
XtremeModder wrote: The HSBC one comes up for me but TDFS is the financier, doesn't show up.

Poster above me. How does me organizing my finances play into this when I can't even pay it.
I'm going to guess that this account was obtained some time ago, and HSBC is now handling the financing for Michael Hill?. When I search TDFS, many different payees are attached to that financier, but Michael Hill is not one of them. Strange.
Can you believe it? They sent my income tax return forms back to me! In response to question # 4, "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack heads, 4.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons, and 650 idiots in Parliament.

Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1047 posts
490 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
XtremeModder wrote: I called the company that gives out the cards and all I could find was TDFS-EVERY COMPANY. The company I was looking for (Michael Hill) was not on there. The person on the phone said to just select any company as long as it has TDFS in it and the payment will go through.
This is just a theory: perhaps TDFS decided not to create a single payee called "TDFS - Credit Cards", but instead create multiple payees (Bombay, Brick, Kent, Sony, etc.), even though they're all the same kind of account number (per Desjardins, that would be 16-digits, starting with 600610). And perhaps Michael Hill has only switched to TDFS recently and the latter didn't create a payee by that name just yet.

So if the employee told me to make the payment to "TDFS - Any company", I'd do it... but just to cover myself, I'd take note of their name and/or employee number.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1047 posts
490 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
wayne74 wrote: I'm going to guess that this account was obtained some time ago, and HSBC is now handling the financing for Michael Hill?. When I search TDFS, many different payees are attached to that financier, but Michael Hill is not one of them. Strange.
It's the other way around. HSBC Retail Services announced last year they're "winding down" their business. So Michael Hill probably switched from HSBC to TDFS.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12939 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton
Try telephone banking.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1047 posts
490 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
cheapmeister wrote: Try telephone banking.
That will give the same results as wayne74's query above. AFAIK, RBC's bill payments go through the same system and have the same list of payees, whether it's by telephone, Internet, mobile, ATM, or branch banking.
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
airodyssey wrote: It's the other way around. HSBC Retail Services announced last year they're "winding down" their business. So Michael Hill probably switched from HSBC to TDFS.
Ok that makes sense. Actually I recall hearing TDFS taking over The Bricks financing recently as well, and they used to be serviced by HSBC.

Feb 28, 2013
945 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
airodyssey wrote: That will give the same results as wayne74's query above. AFAIK, RBC's bill payments go through the same system and have the same list of payees, whether it's by telephone, Internet, mobile, ATM, or branch banking.
So going into the branch tomorrow will yield the same results except OP will get a cashier to make his decision for him. Smart fellow.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1047 posts
490 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
Beans1234 wrote: So going into the branch tomorrow will yield the same results except OP will get a cashier to make his decision for him.
Yeah. One can't expect bank staff to be familiar with payees that are not duly registered on their list. Chances are RBC staff will either:
- call Michael Hill's customer service for the client
- ask the client to pay "TDFS - Any company" if they have seen this before
- send the payment for the client by mail, which will probably not get there by the due date
- tell the client to go pay at Michael Hill or at a TD Canada Trust branch (worst case scenario)