Computers & Electronics

Why am I getting poor network speeds on my self crimped cables.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2020 9:24 am
[OP]
Nov 1, 2017
889 posts
343 upvotes

Why am I getting poor network speeds on my self crimped cables.

Looking to install IPCameras around my house.
I've been practicing howto crimp with short cable runs, and I've noticed my devices are falling back to 100/10 instead of gigabit (or I lose packets) when I use my self terminated cables.

This is the pinout I followed: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/84/eb/95 ... f1063e.jpg
Plugs: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07X9V97MG/
Crimp Tool/Test: https://www.primecables.ca/p-309139-cab ... rimecables

I use scissors to cut the excess wires that come out of the plug. I crimp each plug a few times to make sure I didn't miss any. The 10T tester doesn't see any problems (even under pressure)

I've watched youtube videos... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Images
  • 20200902_162719.jpg
  • 20200902_162741.jpg
13 replies
Jul 1, 2016
849 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
*slowly raises hand*

Are you using cables rated for gigabit? ._.
Pixelation~
Jun 9, 2012
450 posts
284 upvotes
Vancouver
That usually happens if you crimped the cables incorrectly. Make sure split the green pair, idk why but that's something you need to do for cat5e.

Maybe not enough pressure applied on the crimp? You want to make sure the metal contacts are deep into the 8 conductor lines
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3171 posts
1883 upvotes
how come the crimps i used did not allow the conductor to come out like yours?
I had to trim them level, make sure the outer sleeve would be squeeze in the connector before I could crimp
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12973 upvotes
cristianosham wrote: how come the crimps i used did not allow the conductor to come out like yours?
Those are the fancy pass through ones.
Nov 6, 2014
661 posts
986 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Most IP Cameras *ARE NOT* gigabit enabled. So even if you have them crimped properly the cameras don't have the technology to do gigabit even if your cables or switch can.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9763 posts
2273 upvotes
Winnipeg
oh isn't putting on your own heads lovely
Jun 9, 2012
450 posts
284 upvotes
Vancouver
lead wrote: oh isn't putting on your own heads lovely
It's cheaper IMO to buy a large cat5e spool and just cut your own cables.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9763 posts
2273 upvotes
Winnipeg
BigBrother0 wrote: It's cheaper IMO to buy a large cat5e spool and just cut your own cables.
oh it is no question. But your now knee deep into why its cheaper.

Its a niche that is dependent on quality of tools,parts, and the most important factor "practice" helps most.
[OP]
Nov 1, 2017
889 posts
343 upvotes
BigBrother0 wrote: That usually happens if you crimped the cables incorrectly. Make sure split the green pair, idk why but that's something you need to do for cat5e.

Maybe not enough pressure applied on the crimp? You want to make sure the metal contacts are deep into the 8 conductor lines
There is absolutely no resistance when I go to recrimp them. So they are pressed in as far as this crimper allows.
I have the green cable split.

The spare cabling that I'm practicing with is CAT6.
The cabling I plan on using for the cameras is 23awg CAT6A (I realize this is a waste, but it beats having to go buy a Cat5e spool).
[OP]
Nov 1, 2017
889 posts
343 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: Not very good reviews on the plugs.
I think you're right.
I thought I was getting a quality product given the price and the rating.... but I guess I was wrong.

Plus, most of the positive reviews are for the 24awg plugs, whereas I bought the 23awg.
Nov 23, 2004
588 posts
901 upvotes
Ontario
Make sure you cut those protruding wires back flush with the plastic connector too. This can, and probably will, cause the cables to not seat properly inside the plug would could cause poor contact on the pins and also lead to slow speeds. On tighter fitting plugs, they may not fit at all.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19329 posts
987 upvotes
Do you have a cable tester ? An inexpensive one is good enough ... it can detect possible individual cable issue also crimping mistakes. I strongly recommend you test every self-made cable.

10/100 only needs 2 pairs ... It is possible that there might be issues with 1 (or more) of the remaining 4 wires ... just a wild guess ...