5601 upvotes
Toronto

Why Amazon.ca sucks

So I was looking for the Big Skinny wallets:

http://www.amazon.ca/Big-Skinny-Slimlin ... s+Slimline

$38.27

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Skinny-Slimli ... s+slimline

$21.57

What the hell. I have seen this on several products. Why do Canadian's have to pay 56% more. The exchange rate is 30%. This is why Amazon.ca sucks and I rarely shop there.
104 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6097 posts
530 upvotes
Different markets?

Some places won't ship to Canada, meaning less competition and higher prices for the same product?

I compared two items on amazon yesterday; .ca item was $120 + $55 shipping, whereas .com item was $75 + $10 shipping. I bought the item from amazon.com.

Speak with your wallet; if amazon.ca is more expensive than amazon.com with shipping+duties, then shop at amazon.com. Alternatively, shop locally if you can get a better price (which isn't often).

Alternatively, if you live near the border, you can use one of those "ship to the border" places and go and pick it up yourself and bring it into Canada yourself.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1020 upvotes
Toronto
It's not amazons fault. It like that almost everywhere.
Dec 11, 2010
561 posts
363 upvotes
SMH you registered in 2006 and still post this kind of threads :facepalm:

Don't shop at Amazon then.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5611 posts
969 upvotes
Toronto
blurx wrote: SMH you registered in 2006 and still post this kind of threads :facepalm:

Don't shop at Amazon then.
+1 the .ca vs .com amazon threads are bi-monthly
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17674 posts
5601 upvotes
Toronto
Bottom line is Canadian's are getting screwed.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
513 upvotes
GVR
1) .com has the product at a discount (and the MSRP isn't inflated like it often is on Amazon). So the difference is actually $3 once you take the exchange rate into account.
2) The item on .ca is listed through the manufacturer and fullfilled by Amazon. The finances might not work in the same way as they would if Amazon was sold by Amazon.

What a lot of people who complain about Amazon price differences seem to ignore is retail arbitrage. There are companies out there that simply buy a product to sell it on Amazon at a markup. The prices that they list them at are often ludicrous and have nothing to do with Amazon's prices.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1451 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
One is sold by amazon.com. The other is "Sold by Big Skinny and Fulfilled by Amazon." So not even the same.
Sep 13, 2015
415 posts
219 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Bottom line is Canadian's are getting screwed.
Shop on .com and have shipped within USA, go pick it up. You will save a ton.
Glory Glory Man United
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5150 posts
4271 upvotes
Toronto
I think people above me made some good points to explain the situation.

On the other hand sometimes you get deals on Amazon.ca that are really good and don't have the environmental fee, I would say Amazon is one of the better online retailers if not the best, you just need to find the right deals.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4111 upvotes
Ottawa
I'd tell you to vote with your wallet...but apparently you'll need to buy one first to vote.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain