• Jun 24th, 2016 10:06 am
Tags:
None
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2971 upvotes
Because the GBP is selling off, people are buying USD and the strength of the USD is what's pushing the CAD down.
Mar 17, 2006
377 posts
40 upvotes
pound is going down in relation to the Canadian Dollar
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3845 upvotes
I'm seriously thinking of buying GBP. Thoughts? I see no reason for the GBP to go down other than a short term knee jerk reaction.
Apr 28, 2012
957 posts
337 upvotes
QC
Why is the CAD tanking in relation to JPY ?
FREE online credit reports
AMEX: The more you use it and request to pay by it, the more merchants will accept it.

AMEX Special bonuses : Gold 30K points ·· Platinum 60K ·· Biz Gold 40K FYF ·· Biz Platinum 60K ·· SPG 20K
Mar 7, 2011
459 posts
342 upvotes
Ottawa
Flitox wrote: Why is the CAD tanking in relation to JPY ?
JPY is soaring because it is considered as safe asset. Gold price is also going up.
Apr 28, 2012
957 posts
337 upvotes
QC
sky417 wrote: JPY is soaring because it is considered as safe asset. Gold price is also going up.
Looks like that Japan trip is gonna cost me much more. Better book my accomodation using hotel points ASAP before it's taken into account in the points redemption requirements
FREE online credit reports
AMEX: The more you use it and request to pay by it, the more merchants will accept it.

AMEX Special bonuses : Gold 30K points ·· Platinum 60K ·· Biz Gold 40K FYF ·· Biz Platinum 60K ·· SPG 20K
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2010
1935 posts
699 upvotes
Vancouver
Conquistador wrote: Because the GBP is selling off, people are buying USD and the strength of the USD is what's pushing the CAD down.
This.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9018 posts
10319 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Messerschmitt wrote: I'm seriously thinking of buying GBP. Thoughts? I see no reason for the GBP to go down other than a short term knee jerk reaction.
I will be buying pound and FTSE. Remaining short mainland Europe and Europe banks.

Added: looks like FTSE 100 ETF with GBP exposure is ISF LN. Trades on London.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2009
1278 posts
255 upvotes
Montreal
Messerschmitt wrote: I'm seriously thinking of buying GBP. Thoughts? I see no reason for the GBP to go down other than a short term knee jerk reaction.
The bank of England said that in case of a brexit they would decrease the rates by 0.25%-0.50% which would devalue the money even more.
Oct 16, 2015
394 posts
232 upvotes
Quebec
It is the USD which is rising in comparison to other currencies rather than something specific with CAD. The US Dollar is a safe-haven currency in times of political and economic uncertainty. There is not intrinsic problem with the CAD with regards to the British exit vote.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24798 posts
1910 upvotes
Markham, ON
safehaven...USD, GOLD, and YEN.

Not oil so much...CAD should still be up because of gold...however...not as much as USD, YEN and GOLD...so CAD not so much compared to the others.

it's all relative....remember CAD is more like a commodity currency.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
3062 posts
3024 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Did the euro also go down in relation to the cdn dollar ? Or remained the same...pound went down but hard getting legible history and graphs that really outlay currency comparisons in relation to cdn dollar