Real Estate

Why can't I get a better deal without a buyers agent?

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2019 5:41 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes

Why can't I get a better deal without a buyers agent?

Assuming I'm an unrepresented buyer, wouldn't the seller's agent push my offer harder than if I was represented?

Option 1: Seller's agent keeps the whole thing for minimal extra work.

Option 2: Seller's agent takes 3.5% instead of 5%. Makes an extra 1% for minimal extra work. Seller's save 1.5%. Both people are happy.

How come "if you buy unrepresented, we'll discount the property by 1.5%" a more common selling tactic?
Let's hug it out
26 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
Because the horse already left the gate on the commission deal made with the seller.
May 6, 2019
28 posts
9 upvotes
Assuming I'm an unrepresented buyer, wouldn't the seller's agent push my offer harder than if I was represented?
Yes, in a black and white world.
BUT
If there are two offers on the table and yours is lowest, no amount of pushing from the seller agent will convince the seller to take yours over the higher one.
Even if there aren't two offers, sellers usually know the market price of their property. Unless you're offering around what's expected, no amount of pushing from the agent will help.
So basically, the seller agent really can't push your offer. The details of your offer will stand out by itself.

From a buyer's POV, I would find a buyer agent I can trust and have him/her do the work.
The commission this agent makes isn't coming from me. The seller is paying that.
You could argue that you're paying indirectly for it in the purchase price, but... from the seller agent's POV, an unrepresented buyer means that the agent has do the paperwork that is usually handled by a buyer agent.
Will the seller agent really discount the commission? It's more likely he'll keep the full amount for himself and count it a lucky day.

Of course, if you're well-versed in real estate, there's nothing wrong with doing all the work yourself, going in unrepresented and negotiating a good price for yourself.
Penalty Box
Mar 27, 2004
10493 posts
9009 upvotes
Toronto
It will only matter if the offers were close. within that 1% savings you speak of.
What matters is the amount the sellers will ultimately get and the conditions.
Full-time Realtor
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2018
2265 posts
2729 upvotes
If the selling contract is signed, but there is no buyer agent to give 2.5% to... Does that commission disappear? How is the selling agent now entitled to it?
>Wake up and take the orange pill ...
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
RCGA wrote: Assuming I'm an unrepresented buyer, wouldn't the seller's agent push my offer harder than if I was represented?

Option 1: Seller's agent keeps the whole thing for minimal extra work.

Option 2: Seller's agent takes 3.5% instead of 5%. Makes an extra 1% for minimal extra work. Seller's save 1.5%. Both people are happy.

How come "if you buy unrepresented, we'll discount the property by 1.5%" a more common selling tactic?
Your approach might work for a property that’s been sitting on the market for awhile. But in those cases, you can usually just negotiate without worrying about the 1.5% commission difference anyway.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. If you’ve done your homework and know what property you want to buy and what price you’re willing to pay (I.e. you’ve done the bulk of your homework already), you might as well find a realtor willing to split their commission with you.

C
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
superscoots wrote: If the selling contract is signed, but there is no buyer agent to give 2.5% to... Does that commission disappear? How is the selling agent now entitled to it?
Because
Feb 15, 2018
449 posts
558 upvotes
Edmonton
Dude, the seller does not really care where the commission goes. In their contract they are already giving up 5%. How that 5% gets split is non of the sellers business.
Edmonton area Realtor
Jan 30, 2006
870 posts
303 upvotes
canuckstorm wrote: Dude, the seller does not really care where the commission goes. In their contract they are already giving up 5%. How that 5% gets split is non of the sellers business.
Fortunately that's not the case
First - no idiot seller currently pays 5% on sale - standard commission is 3.5%
I bought multiple properties and never used buyers agent
And sold twice to buyers without buyer agent
The sellers contract usually says - 1% to sellers agent and 2.5% to buyers agent - if no buyers agent you can definitely save those 2.5%
Everybody always happy - 2.5% a lot to pay to a parasitic buyer agent
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. If you’ve done your homework and know what property you want to buy and what price you’re willing to pay (I.e. you’ve done the bulk of your homework already), you might as well find a realtor willing to split their commission with you.
The best I can find is someone willing to do 75/25 on 2.5% commission

So I'm going to essentially paying them $10,000+ to answer an email, open a door and send me a stock offer sheet.
Let's hug it out
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
kashirin wrote: Fortunately that's not the case
First - no idiot seller currently pays 5% on sale - standard commission is 3.5%
I bought multiple properties and never used buyers agent
And sold twice to buyers without buyer agent
The sellers contract usually says - 1% to sellers agent and 2.5% to buyers agent - if no buyers agent you can definitely save those 2.5%
Everybody always happy - 2.5% a lot to pay to a parasitic buyer agent
Actually you are wrong. It doesn't 'always' say that and you cannot 'definitely' save that. 2.5%+2.5% is still the majority these days. I should know. I'm an agent and you aren't!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
RCGA wrote: The best I can find is someone willing to do 75/25 on 2.5% commission

So I'm going to essentially paying them $10,000+ to answer an email, open a door and send me a stock offer sheet.
See below & you can join the gravy train too... Then you can make $$$ for 'answering email, opening door & sending offer sheet'. If you don't want to then don't complain.

Actually it's a lot more work than that but I get that you are a bit ignorant of what's involved and the liability incurred, but so be it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
eonibm wrote: See below & you can join the gravy train too... Then you can make $$$ for 'answering email, opening door & sending offer sheet'. If you don't want to then don't complain.

Actually it's a lot more work than that but I get that you are a bit ignorant of what's involved and the liability incurred, but so be it.
What does a buyer's agent do, after the paper is signed? And don't give me fluff.
Let's hug it out
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
RCGA wrote: What does a buyer's agent do, after the paper is signed? And don't give me fluff.
Start doing some research on the google and then you'll know. I can't spoon feed everyone.
Jan 30, 2006
870 posts
303 upvotes
eonibm wrote: Actually you are wrong. It doesn't 'always' say that and you cannot 'definitely' save that. 2.5%+2.5% is still the majority these days. I should know. I'm an agent and you aren't!
I don't know_anyone_ who paid 5% in the last 20 years - not a single person -
I have no idea what majority you're talking about
not a single agent I talked in the last 10 year ever mentioned 5%
and standard OREA representation contract specifically mentions what buyers agent get
if no buyers agent - no legal or ethical way sellers agent can get those 2.5% to himself
you subtract those 2.5% from the price and then negotiate

of course, parasites like you will say it's not true but it exactly how it works
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote: Actually you are wrong. It doesn't 'always' say that and you cannot 'definitely' save that. 2.5%+2.5% is still the majority these days. I should know. I'm an agent and you aren't!
I thought it was more like 2.5% + 1.5%-2% has been more the norm. Lower on the seller commission if they are selling and buying using the same agent. Interestingly, there was one property where i saw a 3.0% buyer commission and the house sold fast and higher than expected.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
eonibm wrote: Start doing some research on the google and then you'll know. I can't spoon feed everyone.
Want's 2.5% of the homes value. Can't name a single thing they do beyond opening a door and having the office admin do some paperwork.
Let's hug it out
Penalty Box
Mar 27, 2004
10493 posts
9009 upvotes
Toronto
In a sellers market. or if your property is desirable, 2.5% to coop agent does seem like a lot. but when a property is less desirable or its a buyers market, sellers are more than happy to give 2.5. even 3. also. it doesnt matter to the seller since its the buyer that is paying for it.. this is the standard rate. crying about it on rfd doesn't accomplish anything. get a realtor license or live with
Full-time Realtor
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
kashirin wrote: I don't know_anyone_ who paid 5% in the last 20 years - not a single person -
I have no idea what majority you're talking about
not a single agent I talked in the last 10 year ever mentioned 5%
and standard OREA representation contract specifically mentions what buyers agent get
if no buyers agent - no legal or ethical way sellers agent can get those 2.5% to himself
you subtract those 2.5% from the price and then negotiate

of course, parasites like you will say it's not true but it exactly how it works
Thanks. I didn't know I was a 'parasite' but I'll add that to the list troll names I've heard. I don't do real estate as a profession but just for friends 'n family who ask me, which you would know if you even bothered to read what I write. Most of the agents I know do charge 5% and methinks I am a better gauge of the market than a layperson like you.

As for 'no buyers agent - no legal or ethical way sellers agent can get those 2.5% to himself' that is a allowed by REBBA and no one is twisting a seller's arm to agree to that so it is actually both legal and ethical.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
at1212b wrote: I thought it was more like 2.5% + 1.5%-2% has been more the norm. Lower on the seller commission if they are selling and buying using the same agent. Interestingly, there was one property where i saw a 3.0% buyer commission and the house sold fast and higher than expected.
There has been no study of what the 'norm' is that I know of. I am going from personal experience of what I see, being an agent myself.

And yes the bigger carrot you give to the buyer's agent the more attention the property will attract all other things being equal. Maximizing one's economic interest has always been a part of the 'physics' of human endeavour.