Automotive

Why Are Dashcams Not Available As Standard/Optional Feature Direct From Car Manufacturers?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2020 3:00 pm
[OP]
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
767 upvotes

Why Are Dashcams Not Available As Standard/Optional Feature Direct From Car Manufacturers?

Why are dashcams not available as standard/optional feature direct from car manufacturers?

Car companies aren't shy of offering a bazillion gimmicky features on their cars, so I've wondered why they've avoided offering daschcams.

I would have thought it would be a natural for them, and it would be great to have a dashcam internally wired and powered directly from the car's electrical system and viewable on the dash info console screen (or at least reviewable when stopped).

I might of thought it was a legal issue, but it seems dashcams are legal in Canada and elsewhere. Perhaps it's some sort of liability issue?

Thoughts?
45 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38241 posts
24426 upvotes
Center of Universe
They've been optional at a ridiculously high mark up for some time now.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
767 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: They've been optional at a ridiculously high mark up for some time now.
Which car manufacturers offer them?

I just had a run through a couple of manufacturer websites and didn't see them on offer.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about dashcams designed into the car and factory installed, not aftermarket units installed by a dealership.
Nov 26, 2014
295 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Audi
Tesla if I'm not mistaken
May 21, 2009
201 posts
261 upvotes
Canada
goodking wrote: Which car manufacturers offer them?

I just had a run through a couple of manufacturer websites and didn't see them on offer.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about dashcams designed into the car and factory installed, not aftermarket units installed by a dealership.
Not a “daschcam” technically but much better is what General Motors offers, the Performance Data Recorder system. Too bad it’s only the Corvette or Camaro 1LE/ZL1 that gets it and the old CTS-V.

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance-data-recorder

Of course Telsa also offers a dashcam as well with multiple cameras.

Otherwise it’s odd that others don’t offer it, especially since usually cameras are already installed for collision avoidance systems. You would think a dashcam would be easy to develop and then can offer it has a $400 option or something. Maybe too afraid to have it as it could expose dealership servicing scams :)
Oct 2, 2017
832 posts
588 upvotes
goodking wrote: Why are dashcams not available as standard/optional feature direct from car manufacturers?

Car companies aren't shy of offering a bazillion gimmicky features on their cars, so I've wondered why they've avoided offering daschcams.

I would have thought it would be a natural for them, and it would be great to have a dashcam internally wired and powered directly from the car's electrical system and viewable on the dash info console screen (or at least reviewable when stopped).

I might of thought it was a legal issue, but it seems dashcams are legal in Canada and elsewhere. Perhaps it's some sort of liability issue?

Thoughts?
because once a company finds a community they can mass produce, they find ways squeeze as much profit from that commodity. For example BMW used to charge for bluetooth audio as an option, lane change assists were an option, backup cams were an option and that's the same reason dashcams are an option. If they can sell a car to you without it, they will.. until the competition (in this case Tesla) forces them to.
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38241 posts
24426 upvotes
Center of Universe
goodking wrote: Which car manufacturers offer them?

Only Tesla at the moment is utilizing all of the built in cameras as part of their Sentry mode feature.
Other manufacturer's offer a dashcam as an optional add-on.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7754 posts
6952 upvotes
goodking wrote: Why are dashcams not available as standard/optional feature direct from car manufacturers?

Thoughts?
Tesla has them.

Most manufacturers have them available as add on accessory
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2658 posts
1298 upvotes
No idea, but with all the tech/cams front, rear it shouldn't be very hard for them to include into the head unit electronics/software. The only hardware that's required is an sd card reader.
A decent front/rear dashcam unit already costs at least $200-300 without installation/hardwiring.
I would say paying $500 for an oem integrated front/rear camera with parking mode is reasonable, esp. if the UI is setup well and well integrated (e.g. accessible through sd card/wifi etc).
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56484 posts
21536 upvotes
Car manufacturers are already saddled with the burden of opening up the black box to regulators in times of investigation. They probably don't want another avenue for that.

Lexus/Toyota does sell them as an add-on during a vehicle purchase for $600 or so.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20789 posts
6261 upvotes
GTA
Does the Corvettes PDR count?
Oct 26, 2003
259 posts
45 upvotes
Ottawa
I think that we are now in the era of digital surveillance for our property (Ring cameras etc.) and therefore this should be offered as an option on most cars.
May 21, 2009
201 posts
261 upvotes
Canada
coriolis wrote: Does the Corvettes PDR count?
Yep! It’s got a tour mode along with the full telemetry track mode. Would love a similar system on all my cars.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2389 posts
1058 upvotes
I'd rather they all just start putting a usb port in the map light area.
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. -Wayne Gretzky"
- Michael Scott
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19755 posts
23172 upvotes
GTA

Thoughts?
Toyota and Lexus dealers offer it. Corvette's have it built in, and Tesla's have it built it.

So you want to pay a dealer many times more for a dashcam than a DIY or aftermarket shop?
That said, it is surprising that more dealers don't offer it as a way to milk money out of buyers. Maybe they don't want to because it requires actual work, as opposed to "rust proofing" or extended warranty.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Aug 22, 2011
282 posts
297 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I think there is confusion about what the OP is asking about. I think they are referring to a dash-cam that is built into the car like current reverse cameras from the manufacturer not a dealer accessory.
May 21, 2018
707 posts
652 upvotes
Government made backup cameras mandatory for all cars built after 2014? or 2016? Same should be done for dash cameras, the technology is cheap enough to implement across the board now.
Don't forget to goo your attic!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9675 posts
9206 upvotes

MB with MBUX got them. No idea how to activate. A lot of different conflicting messages on activation but nobody seems to have activate it successfully.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38241 posts
24426 upvotes
Center of Universe
NTWKid wrote: I think there is confusion about what the OP is asking about. I think they are referring to a dash-cam that is built into the car like current reverse cameras from the manufacturer not a dealer accessory.
Either way, it will still cost consumers money by going to to the next trim.
Front parking cameras are not even standard across the board yet.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)