Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
17158 posts
7035 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Why did you buy a CUV/SUV?

Just wondering the thought process people have when they buy a CUV/SUV as their daily driver instead of getting a sedan, hatchback or wagon. SUVs ride higher, handle worse, consume more gasoline, and may be more difficult to drive. Too often do I see people drive a CUV or SUV but then they are the only person in the vehicle, and their trunk is next to empty. I've questioned my family friends why they have a CUV/SUV and so far, the only reason is "Because I have kids and need space to store the stroller and their belongings." Otherwise the usual answer was, "Because I didn't want a sedan" with no additional reasoning behind it. They don't need the space, or lack of rather, depending on which CUV you get.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
117 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10155 upvotes
Toronto
It was a vehicle that my SO always wanted. Not everyone grows up with a silver spoon or with a car for that matter and to quite a few people, obtaining a vehicle that they really liked regardless if new or used or this or that brand, is a life goal.

Some of those vehicles just happen to be a SUV/CUV, while to others, R8s.

And when you see Caravans/Odyssey and the sort on the road, are they loaded down with people? How do you know the truck is next to empty? The only vans I see out there are single drivers/contractors and I assume the back is packed.
Last edited by koffey on Aug 2nd, 2017 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9964 posts
1899 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I don't own an SUV personally, but I've known many people who do and can probably offer some insights I've gathered.

- The extra height can be perceived as a beneficial point by some individuals (seeng farther, easier to clear snow in winter etc.)
- There is a perception (and to an extent some truth) that larger vehicles are "safer" and as such this plays into parents (especially new parents) fear for the safety of their families
- Comfort is typically better in an SUV vs the equivalent sedan. There's no transmission tunnel in the back, the extra ride height and suspension setup usually makes for a smoother ride etc.

Those are some of the reasons I've encountered so far.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32066 posts
19262 upvotes
Toronto
My reasoning of getting it:
- sportiness (good performance with decent power)
- utility (convenience of loading and unloading)
- awd
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2038 posts
1091 upvotes
Alberta
For me, not really a CUV, but got a Subaru crosstrek, mostly for utility. Sits higher than the Imprezza, good for winter deep snow driving on residential roads that never get plowed. That's mostly it for me, plus like the rear hatch for day to day stuff to bring around as needed.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4527 posts
26991 upvotes
uber_shnitz wrote: I don't own an SUV personally, but I've known many people who do and can probably offer some insights I've gathered.
- The extra height can be perceived as a beneficial point by some individuals (seeng farther, easier to clear snow in winter etc.)

SUV's aren't all that tall when you think about it, you get what an extra foot of if visibility unless we are talking about Chevy Executive Class style SUV"s than it's a different story.

To clear snow you need to use snow tires or a vehicle that is highly jacked up (Jeep is a good reference.
uber_shnitz wrote: - There is a perception (and to an extent some truth) that larger vehicles are "safer" and as such this plays into parents (especially new parents) fear for the safety of their families
I call that blind faith, people who think they are safer aren't doing their due diligence when shopping around or doing the necessary reviews of the vehicles. My fear is people who own these vehicles and dont know how to drive them, they are a huge waste of space and and the people who are short can barely see over the hood making their visibility and peripheral view worse than in a smaller vehicle.
uber_shnitz wrote: - Comfort is typically better in an SUV vs the equivalent sedan. There's no transmission tunnel in the back, the extra ride height and suspension setup usually makes for a smoother ride etc.
Not all SUV's are designed equally, pick a base model anything car, truck, suv and the comfort is crap all around unless your vehicle base model price is over $70-80k
Last edited by markopas on Aug 2nd, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4229 posts
3057 upvotes
Montreal
Very limited choice in wagons.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Loved my car but was tired of looking at exhaust pipes and not being able to see through the vehicle ahead of me . So, couldn't beat em so I joined em :)
Jun 2, 2009
282 posts
98 upvotes
#1-wife does not want a van
#2-two kids, car seats, and a stroller take up a lot of space
#3-wife does not want a van
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4527 posts
26991 upvotes
poker838 wrote: #1-wife does not want a van
#2-two kids, car seats, and a stroller take up a lot of space
#3-wife does not want a van
My friends are in the same predicament and made everything work in a Honda Fit.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Dec 10, 2007
723 posts
559 upvotes
Arviat
jzmtl wrote: Very limited choice in wagons.
Not going back to a suv/cuv but if I were to get a bigger vehicle I will get a wagon. Utility of a cuv with the handling of a sport sedan.
If I argue with a fool, I am the fool.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9964 posts
1899 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I'm not saying the reasons are or aren't valid, but they are reasons and people do believe in them. Some people also still believe the earth is flat so...
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10155 upvotes
Toronto
uber_shnitz wrote: I'm not saying the reasons are or aren't valid, but they are reasons and people do believe in them. Some people also still believe the earth is flat so...
Only people that drive vehicles with boxer engines :)
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
May 28, 2017
88 posts
47 upvotes
My Dad got his CR-V for several reasons.

1) Everyone else in the house owns a compact sedan, we don't often go out as a family but when we do and we're carrying cargo then a compact car is too small (ex: Cottage trips).

2) He does a lot of mileage for work and does carry some cargo, now this can all still fit into a compact car, but reason 1 overrides here.

3) He may want to buy a small boat and trailer, and towing it would be possible in the CR-V, but not small compact cars.

4) It really isn't all that much worse on gas than a Civic. A highway cruse in the Civic gives you 5.5-6 L/100km, in the CR-V it is around 6.5 L/100km, and he pushes 900km on a 57 or 58 L tank (mainly hwy).
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3189 posts
1780 upvotes
AB
As someone who daily drove a Tundra for a while I really enjoyed seeing over other cars. That was a big plus. I am not in a new Ridgeline which sits higher than most CUVs and I can't see over most cars now. I don't think getting into a CRV or Rav4 helps you see over most conventional traffic.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50465 posts
14787 upvotes
ONTARIO
Just because you only see one person in the car, doesn't mean it doesnt go to good use.
I head up north all the time during summer. So you'll only catch me loading up the car on weekends... Weekdays it will be empty with just me driving it for errands. However... I do bike to work. I'm one of those (near) downtown Toronto guys who only uses their cars for groceries and weekends.
I do a lot of cycling. So throughout the weekday I might just toss the bike into the back and take it to a trail for more ez going stress free trail cycling @ full speed... No need to fight traffic!

Also... Because I want it. I never had practical cars. My previous car was a 2001 LExus IS300 RWD sport sedan that I drove up to 415,000km. It was terrible in the winter! But i've always wanted something thats good in the winter, has extra cargo space, and some towing capacity.

The car I got for this was the 2007 RAV4 V6. I find that its a good balance between SUV and car. It drives more like a big sedan. Seating position is higher, but not noticably like when I had a Lexus RX330. And the V6 has tons of power. I'm actually having lots of fun with it. I was worried I might not like it coming from such a peppy sport sedan. But so far the drive is a very fair compromise! Its way faster in a straight line than my IS300.
May 21, 2008
891 posts
150 upvotes
Ottawa
Easy to get in and out of seat and less crouching to access car seat.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16995 posts
12395 upvotes
Toronto
cargo capacity, AWD, practicality...i drive an RDX, we have 1 kid, and we go to the cottage most weekends all year round.

It's our only car
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4527 posts
26991 upvotes
koffey wrote: Only people that drive vehicles with boxer engines :)
Porsches and Subarus??
__
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10155 upvotes
Toronto
markopas wrote: Porsches and Subarus??
You've never seen this??

DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke