Careers

Why do businesses call over responding to emails?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2020 1:38 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1393 posts
304 upvotes
Vancouver

Why do businesses call over responding to emails?

I've noticed recently, whether it's for a job, or you want to find out about a business, you send a business email, and they call you instead of emailing. What is the psychology behind this? To me it seems like they do not want anything they say formally documented, and that is why they never respond to emails, which is a negative thing to me because it seems shady.

It makes me not want to work for that company. Is this a red flag? I'm so confused psychologically. The past two employers would email me, and I would email back, and from then on they would never respond to the email, and only call. And then I would email something again, and they respond with a call. It feels like a crafty power move.
10 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 16, 2013
1151 posts
987 upvotes
Toronto
It's a good way to feel a person out. Emails are nice but the person can't hide behind the phone. Weeds out wierdos.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1393 posts
304 upvotes
Vancouver
cowbunpants wrote: It's a good way to feel a person out. Emails are nice but the person can't hide behind the phone. Weeds out wierdos.
I think it's horrible. They don't say when they call. I'm actually waiting right now for a phone call, just for the person to give me a simple response to the simple email I sent, but don't know when that call is... I can't take a shower, or do the #2, or go outside, or make a meal, can't do anything cause I might miss the call.......been sitting down here for hours straight...... not being able to do anything cause waiting for the call lol. It was the same yesterday and the day before, just waiting for the call.... by the time i do get a call out of the blue at some random time of course i'm going to be stressed.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10651 posts
6897 upvotes
Edmonton
SquirreI wrote: I think it's horrible. They don't say when they call. I'm actually waiting right now for a phone call, just for the person to give me a simple response to the simple email I sent, but don't know when that call is... I can't take a shower, or do the #2, or go outside, or make a meal, can't do anything cause I might miss the call.......been sitting down here for hours straight...... not being able to do anything cause waiting for the call lol. It was the same yesterday and the day before, just waiting for the call.... by the time i do get a call out of the blue at some random time of course i'm going to be stressed.
You won’t be docked marks for not answering the phone on the first ring. Or even the first time. Use your voicemail if you need to, and stop stressing.

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1393 posts
304 upvotes
Vancouver
CNeufeld wrote: You won’t be docked marks for not answering the phone on the first ring. Or even the first time. Use your voicemail if you need to, and stop stressing.

C
Yeah I missed the call in the morning... I sat in my room the whole day, cause I thought I would get a second call, but nope. It's the call of whether I got the job or not, so I don't think it's a good idea to just straight up call the manager and ask if I got the job.
Nov 18, 2012
917 posts
525 upvotes
SquirreI wrote: I think it's horrible. They don't say when they call. I'm actually waiting right now for a phone call, just for the person to give me a simple response to the simple email I sent, but don't know when that call is... I can't take a shower, or do the #2, or go outside, or make a meal, can't do anything cause I might miss the call.......been sitting down here for hours straight...... not being able to do anything cause waiting for the call lol. It was the same yesterday and the day before, just waiting for the call.... by the time i do get a call out of the blue at some random time of course i'm going to be stressed.
for employment you're speaking nonsense. As far as questions as a customer or potential customer, you are absolutely right and i refuse to do business with a company that wont answer a super simple question through email.
Dec 15, 2015
644 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto
SquirreI wrote: Yeah I missed the call in the morning... I sat in my room the whole day, cause I thought I would get a second call, but nope. It's the call of whether I got the job or not, so I don't think it's a good idea to just straight up call the manager and ask if I got the job.
Why didn't you just call them back after the first missed call? You don't need to directly ask them if you got the job, just say you're returning the call...

Do you not have a cellphone? You don't need to be in your home office to answer a call..Put your phone in your pocket, have the ringer on and answer it when they call. Live your life like you would and answer when they call. If you're taking a dookie, call them back right after. This isn't rocket science.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1393 posts
304 upvotes
Vancouver
TheMaterial wrote: Why didn't you just call them back after the first missed call? You don't need to directly ask them if you got the job, just say you're returning the call...

Do you not have a cellphone? You don't need to be in your home office to answer a call..Put your phone in your pocket, have the ringer on and answer it when they call. Live your life like you would and answer when they call. If you're taking a dookie, call them back right after. This isn't rocket science.
it's rocket science to me, i don't use a phone aside from making medical or haircut appointments. i don't know any type of etiquette on phones. idk why everyone on this forum assumes everyone is a business professional.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5621 posts
973 upvotes
Toronto
I've never made a successful business deal over emails, all by phone.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1707 posts
261 upvotes
Alberta
SquirreI wrote: it's rocket science to me, i don't use a phone aside from making medical or haircut appointments. i don't know any type of etiquette on phones. idk why everyone on this forum assumes everyone is a business professional.
That's an interesting scenario for people growing up with text/IM, vs phones. I didn't get a cell phone til university, so we still made lots of phone calls.
And once you get into an office environment, the ability to do phone calls becomes more important. Not as much as it use to be I bet (I still like IM for quick casual questions, but a phone call conveys urgency to me), but still very important.

Do you find phone calls much different than talk with people in person?
Oct 24, 2010
368 posts
216 upvotes
Ottawa
It's a lot more personal to call than to send an email or text, particularly in the context of a job offer.

I don't think I've ever received a job offer, formal or otherwise, other than by phone.