Off Topic

Why do cops treat the public like second class citizen?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2019 2:50 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17733 posts
1760 upvotes
Space for rent

Why do cops treat the public like second class citizen?

I know this sounds like a gratuitous rant but you guys know most cops have such a chip on their shoulder. I recently had a run in with one who was so impatient and treated me with such disrespect I wanted to tell him to F off like the Americans do.

Long story short I filed a report for theft under $5000. I get a call from one and he says we found the item and it’s here for you to pick up. I ask a few questions which were not really germane to what and how it was found but he lost it on me and said do you want it or should I throw it I. The garbage?

I felt so disrespected as a member of the public above all else. I just don’t know where they get off treating people like utter shit!
Last edited by Supercooled on Jun 17th, 2019 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
41 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
2029 posts
1017 upvotes
Unfortunately many of them are on power trips, which is probably why they got into policing in the first place. Same goes for border patrol officers. It's their own insecurities that they project onto others. Not much you can do about it either.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33542 posts
7539 upvotes
Ottawa
Unfortunately, cops have to do a job. They ask or tell someone to do something and the first action they get is a negative response from the person. This, in itself, makes the situation confrontational immediately. The person is hesitant to do what is asked and the cop wonders why the person is reacting that way.
Yes, you have a right to know why you are being asked to do something but, you can ask while complying and probably avoid confrontation. Police have been given authority and questioning (by action or speech) that authority can lead to confrontation. You do not knwo why you are being asked or told. Something may have happened in the area and they are flowing up, investigating or looking for someone. To claim they have "insecurities that they project onto others" is just a plain stupid comment.
Cops are in a no win situation, they are all a holes until you need them. Then if they are not there fast enough or don't solve the crime quickly enough, they are still a holes for not doing their jobs up to your standard.
Not defending, just saying.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5659 posts
769 upvotes
Lots of people treat others like crap....teachers, stay at home parents, cashiers, lawyers, pilots, celebrities, people you've never heard of, etc. You can't change how someone treats you (for the most part) but you have control over how you react to the treatment. It's always up to you to decide how to interpret the situation (i.e. by stereotyping as in your OP).
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11525 posts
4857 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 7:49 am
I know this sounds like a gratuitous rant but you guys know most cops have such a chip on their shoulder. I recently had a run in with one who was so impatient and treated me with such disrespect I wanted to tell him to F off like the Americans do.

Long story short I filed a report for theft under $5000. I get a call from one and he says we found the item and it’s here for you to pick up. I ask a few questions which were not really germane to what and how it was found but he lost it on me and said do you want it or should I throw it I. The garbage?

I felt so disrespected as a member of the public above all else. I just don’t know where they get off treating people like utter shit!
It is a rant, and nice generalization.

Go pick up your item and ask questions when you get there.

As for feeling "disrespected"...grow a pair.
Penalty Box
Apr 19, 2017
828 posts
637 upvotes
They are taught to do that during training.
CucuCovers, GreatCanadianRebates, LendingLoop, Mintos, PayMi, Stack, Tangerine, TransferWise, Uber, Wealthsimple
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1624 posts
505 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 8:29 am
Unfortunately, cops have to do a job. They ask or tell someone to do something and the first action they get is a negative response from the person. This, in itself, makes the situation confrontational immediately. The person is hesitant to do what is asked and the cop wonders why the person is reacting that way.
Yes, you have a right to know why you are being asked to do something but, you can ask while complying and probably avoid confrontation. Police have been given authority and questioning (by action or speech) that authority can lead to confrontation. You do not knwo why you are being asked or told. Something may have happened in the area and they are flowing up, investigating or looking for someone. To claim they have "insecurities that they project onto others" is just a plain stupid comment.
Cops are in a no win situation, they are all a holes until you need them. Then if they are not there fast enough or don't solve the crime quickly enough, they are still a holes for not doing their jobs up to your standard.
Not defending, just saying.
+1
*Life without friends is like a garden without flowers.
*Children would be less spoiled if we were allowed to spank grandparents.
*Coffee = A liquid hug for your brain.
*Hugs are free, but you only need one to feel good.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1624 posts
505 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
Swerny wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 9:36 am
It is a rant, and nice generalization.

Go pick up your item and ask questions when you get there.

As for feeling "disrespected"...grow a pair.
+1
*Life without friends is like a garden without flowers.
*Children would be less spoiled if we were allowed to spank grandparents.
*Coffee = A liquid hug for your brain.
*Hugs are free, but you only need one to feel good.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17733 posts
1760 upvotes
Space for rent
You guys don't have first hand knowledge of what happened. It's no different than you going up to a starnger in a foreign country and asking them for direction and after they give you direction you ask what good attraction are there in that place and they say, I'm not a tour guide, piss off.

At the most basic, it's about treating each other with respect regardless of your status in society. Cops tend to carry themselves with an inflated sense of self worth. The same can be found in people of position; your superiors at work. I haven't met a single manager/supervisor in all my working years who wasn't arrogant and full of themselves. Sure there are nice ones but they are exceptions rather than the rule.

If this "king shit cop" treated me like a human being I wouldn't be so pissed.

Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4695 posts
577 upvotes
Ottawa
Maybe a more accurate question would be "why did that cop treat you like a second class citizen", instead of characterizing all police officers based on that one's actions.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1483 posts
318 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 11:49 am
Maybe a more accurate question would be "why did that cop treat you like a second class citizen", instead of characterizing all police officers based on that one's actions.
Haha cops suck lol unskilled peeps lol
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4854 posts
1017 upvotes
People tend to voice their dissatisfaction more than their satisfaction. I haven't had many interactions with the Police but I did 2-3 times. Each time the issue was not "life threatening" but I felt the officers conducted themselves professionally. Of course, YMMV. I don't deny that there are probably bad apples in the mix. But we can't take one case and generalize to the entire police force.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3007 posts
320 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Supercooled wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 10:28 am
You guys don't have first hand knowledge of what happened. It's no different than you going up to a starnger in a foreign country and asking them for direction and after they give you direction you ask what good attraction are there in that place and they say, I'm not a tour guide, piss off.

At the most basic, it's about treating each other with respect regardless of your status in society. Cops tend to carry themselves with an inflated sense of self worth. The same can be found in people of position; your superiors at work. I haven't met a single manager/supervisor in all my working years who wasn't arrogant and full of themselves. Sure there are nice ones but they are exceptions rather than the rule.

If this "king shit cop" treated me like a human being I wouldn't be so pissed.

It's not really about cops, is it? In this society people are predisposed to inflate our sense of self-worth when given responsibilities. I'd say this comes from corporate culture, not necessarily the kind of people who seek policing jobs.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2447 posts
543 upvotes
Ottawa
Wa wa wa wa. The cop isn’t your friend, he doesn’t have time to lolligag on the phone and describe his efforts in getting your sheeet back.

Come back if you get slapped around while in handcuffs and I’ll hav.e more sympathy.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8306 posts
1316 upvotes
Toronto
It's how they roll OP.
They are protectors of the realm.
No time for small talk.